Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

LCW Gathering III - February 9-10

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Re: LCW Gathering III - February 9-10

Postby Tempelton » Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:17 pm

I think I am going to come for the day trip and meet ya'll at Hankins Pass. Any other day trippers? Want to carpool from Denver?

Postby globreal » Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:18 am

Still nobody from Colorado Springs/Pueblo interested in going/carpooling to this? :?:

Postby Brian Thomas » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:33 am

Weather bump.

Minimal precipitation forecast for this week (for South Tarryall Peak). Saturday: A chance of snow. Partly sunny, with a high near 27. Saturday Night: A chance of snow. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 9. Sunday: A chance of snow. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 18.
"I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you to be just like them" - Bob Dylan

Postby Derek » Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:10 pm

Brian Thomas wrote:Weather bump.

Minimal precipitation forecast for this week (for South Tarryall Peak). Saturday: A chance of snow. Partly sunny, with a high near 27. Saturday Night: A chance of snow. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 9. Sunday: A chance of snow. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 18.

Wouldn't be a Hankins Pass camp without cold...

Don't suppose you'd have any interest in trying to haul camp all the way up to Lake Park? Even though its higher, it might be warmer, because if I recall the sun sets behind South Tarryall Peak early, making Hankins Pass get cold earlier in the day. Just a thought.

Example: this is Hankins Pass at 3:40 in the afternoon last winter. Shades up pretty quickly.

There are some flat spots just as you enter Lake Park, might allow more daylight. This photo is right as you enter Lake Park, taken from right about where the "Lake Park" waypoint is on my map a couple posts above:

--D
"All dolled up in gabardine..."

Postby Brian Thomas » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:28 pm

EDIT per post below.
Last edited by Brian Thomas on Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you to be just like them" - Bob Dylan

Postby globreal » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:16 pm

Brian Thomas wrote:Weather bump.

Looks like this could be a great opportunity for winter camping training. :-)
Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in me will live, even though they die; and whoever lives by believing in me will never die."
~John 11:25

Postby Waggs » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:00 am

globreal wrote:Still nobody from Colorado Springs/Pueblo interested in going/carpooling to this? :?:

I'll be your huckleberry.

I'm in on this.

Waggs
Gloves are optional. Mittens mandatory - S. Gladbach

Postby globreal » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:25 pm

Waggs wrote:
globreal wrote:Still nobody from Colorado Springs/Pueblo interested in going/carpooling to this? :?:

I'll be your huckleberry.

I'm in on this.

Waggs

Awesome Rob!

Derek/Brian, are we meeting at Spruce Grove campground Saturday morning?

What time?
Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in me will live, even though they die; and whoever lives by believing in me will never die."

Postby globreal » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:36 pm

I just checked the forecast...

Friday Night: A 40 percent chance of snow. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 14. Breezy.
Saturday: Snow likely, mainly after 11am. Cloudy, with a high near 20. Breezy. Chance of precipitation is 60%.
Saturday Night: Snow likely. Cloudy, with a low around 4.
Sunday: A chance of snow. Cloudy, with a high near 12.

If we go, I think hiking up to Lake Park for more sunshine will just be an exercise in futility! ](*,)

Postby Brian Thomas » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:28 pm

globreal wrote:I just checked the forecast...

Where are you getting this from? Per weather.gov, clicking on South Tarryall Peak (Lat/Lon: 39.15°N 105.45°W Elevation: 10000 ft) says:
Friday Night A 20 percent chance of snow. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 23. Breezy.
Saturday A 50 percent chance of snow. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 27.
Saturday Night Snow likely. Cloudy, with a low around 10.
Sunday A chance of snow. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 17.
globreal wrote:If we go

What do you mean "If" ? Too cold for you there, Britt?
globreal wrote:Derek/Brian, are we meeting at Spruce Grove campground Saturday morning? What time?

Shall we say 10am at Spruce Grove?

Derek, I would like to get South Tarryall Peak on Sunday morning. Camping at Lake Park would add more backtracking. Also, that would be 6+ miles of backpacking. I'm lazy, I only want to backpack 4.25 miles to Hankins Pass. Can we agree to camp there? And from what you've told me, camping at the pass in winter sounds to be like a real character building experience \:D/

Postby Waggs » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:33 pm

While it doesn't sound like there is enough snow to require traction/flotation, is there enough to melt for water?

Waggs
Gloves are optional. Mittens mandatory - S. Gladbach

Postby Kevin Baker » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:53 pm

I might be up for the Catamount as a dayhike on Sun if anybody wants to join me. The forecast looks pretty marginal to be attempting a sustained 4th class summit like the Catamount though. I'll probably wait until Fri to decide.
Always do what you are afraid to do. -Ralph Waldo Emerson

PreviousNext