Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Goggles/Glasses fogging

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Re: Goggles/Glasses fogging

Postby TallGrass » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:06 am

SikYou wrote:Looks like Fogtech is pretty decent per reviews on REI, maybe I'll give that a try.
I've tried it and Fogtech ($18) did not work as good as Cat Crap ($6.50) plus it creates more trash as you have a towelette and foil package to dispose of after each application. Once the towel dries, it's dead meaning few applications per purchase or you have to buy a larger bottle of solution. Cat Crap is as easy as carrying a little cup of Carmex and you can toss the cloth you use to apply it in the wash (no packaging/applicator trash) and recycle the empty container (or wash and reuse as an ear plug case). This was for motorcycle helmet faceshields where you're breathing on it with little air circulation when stopped and plenty of air with little breath hitting it when moving making it easy to see what prevents fogging and which is faster at returning to normal once vented at every stoplight.
Not sure if I'll do more 14ers. The trip reports are too tiring. :wink:

Postby TomPierce » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:41 am

My goggles no longer fog up when using a full face balaclava, here's what I did:

1) Buy Oakley A-Frame goggles, they are the only goggles I've found with double wall lenses and which have 3-way venting (top, front, and bottom).

2) Get some electrical tape and scissors and cut tape strips to tape over the vents on the very bottom of the goggles (NOT the vents on the lower part that face forward).

3) Coat the interior of the lense with an anti-fog compound; I've used both Cat Crap and C-Clear, both seem to help.

4) A full face balaclava with breathing ports is critical, either holes, mesh, whatever. A standard balaclava without those just shoots all the moist air up as you breath out. Placement of the balaclava is important too: your goggles should touch the over-nose part but not overlap it.

I was out a couple of weeks ago on Loveland Pass with sustained windchills colder than -25F and strong winds. Had the balaclava and goggles on pretty much the whole time while going up over Cupid to Grizzly then back, zero fogging. Same on Sherman the week before. I don't recall my goggles ever fogging in the last 7-8 years after I did these modifications. Works for me, but I think it wouldn't work as well on goggles with only two vents.
-Tom

Postby wushock316 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:35 am

As a few have said already:

1. double lens style goggle, this helps a lot
2. cat crap
3. on next pair of RX lenses ask for crizal with anti fog coating(optifog). crizal is a non glare(ar) coating and they add a anti fog treatment as well too it, but you still have to re apply as needed(applying right before leaving trailhead should last all hike). You can get other anti-fog treatments for your lenses, but this is the only combo of anti glare and anti fog on the market that I have seen.

Postby powhound » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:44 pm

I wanted to thank you all for the suggestions, and to pass along a possible solution I figured out. I tried the athletic tape (at home) and that didn't work...but it got me thinking...just plug the damn gaps. Thanks geojed! I tried a few things like foam rubber etc, which didn't work out either. Still had some gaps. Then I tried cotton balls. They worked perfect as they're light, stay in place and don't slide down. You can easily manipulate them...stretch or remove/add material... to fill whatever size gap you happen to have depending on the size of your nose. I have a big beak...therefore a large gap. To my surprise the expelled vapor didn't rise up through them. You just have to make sure you don't use too much cotton where the bottom side of it interferes with your nostril's airflow. I found it to work best when I could still see them slightly in my lower field of vision. Exact placement was easy by using the mirror on my compass.

After a successful test (although a bit toasty...and I probably looked like a psycho) on a short hike around the county park, I was anxious to give it the real test. Last Friday, Sniktau-Cupid provided the sub-zero windchills needed. It wasn't 100% perfect, but I felt it was about 90-95%. A tremendous improvement! What little fogging did occur was on the glasses and not the goggles. I did notice that it worked better when I had my goggles down over my clear lenses, as opposed to my sunglasses. So, I imagine there will be many variables due do glasses type, goggle and facemask brands...not to mention the actual weather... snowing/sleeting/fog, etc. But so far so good... for a quick inexpensive fix. Just bring a few extra cottonballs in case you lose one.

A few of you recommended Cat Crap. Haven't had a chance to pick some up yet. That could only help further. However, I am glad I only tested one thing at a time. So now I have a new baseline to work from.

dswink...I liked your clever idea, opening up the mouth portion. You are right about the need to allow more airflow, as it can sometimes seem like you are suffocating when working hard. However, my lips chap easily, even with repeated applications of lip balm. So I don't think the mouthpiece completely cut away would work for me. Your idea got me thinking though. I have an old facemask hanging around here somewhere, that I would be comfortable experimenting with, and taking a razor to. Cut a flap for the mouth, maybe use velcro strips to raise it when needed for a firehose of oxygen. The only drawback I can think of would be, it may end up looking like Hannibal Lector. Anyone for some fava beans and a nice chianti?
Attachments
cotton balls solution.JPG
cotton balls solution.JPG (65.35 KiB) Viewed 466 times

Postby Obese_goat » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:57 pm

Airhole Colorado mask plus cat crap seems to work just fine for me. The shape of the mask fits perfect with goggles and it really makes the perfect seal. They have other prints but some of them are just silly. check out

http://airholefacemasks.com/
http://wrightlife.com/images/large/704-FM-large.jpg
“The mountain has left me feeling renewed, more content and positive than I’ve been for weeks, as if something has been given back after a long absence, as if my eyes have opened once again. For this time at least, I’ve let myself be rooted in the unshakable sanity of the senses, spared my mind the burden of too much thinking, turned myself outward to experience the world and inward to savor the pleasures it has given me.”
― Richard Nelson

"Going to the mountains is going home.”
― John Muir

https://www.theclymb.com/invite-from/StevoMagaa

Postby schrund » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:14 pm

I've never tried these but I have long wondered if they would work: http://www.safetyglassesusa.com/ep01bk1-cam.html
We did not think of the great open plains, the beautiful rolling hills, and winding streams... as "wild". Only to the white man was nature a "wilderness".
-Luther Standing Bear, Oglala Chief

Postby ceejay » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:31 pm

dsunwall wrote:I tried something similar to dswink's setup, it does help. Once your face starts sweating however they will fog even if your breath does not get to the lens, seems that way to me anyway. I'm seriously thinking of Smith's Turbofan goggles, they do get good reviews.

http://adventuretravel.about.com/od/adventuretravelbasics/gr/SmithTurboFan.htm

D, those fan goggles look interesting. I might check those out, I'll let you know how it goes.

Chris

Postby winmag4582001 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:19 am

I just got a the Smith IOX and they have worked great. The two things that seem to help me the most is to have a balaclava with vents around the mouth and nose, the goggles are either on my eyes or in my pack. I never put them around my neck or on my head.
"Remember, you're unique, just like everybody else."-Joel Bernardini

Previous