Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Longs Peak this summer

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.

Re: Longs Peak this summer

Postby MtnHub » Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:16 am

PaliKona wrote:What's the distance to the Keyhole? About 6 miles?

A guide book I have lists it as 6.25 miles.

Postby forbins_mtn » Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:30 am

Personally, when I start hiking at 2am it doesn't seem bad. There is so much adrenaline pumping at that time of night, and by the time the sun rises you're up to Lady Washington and the boulderfield.

It's the way down that sucks. It keeps going and going and going.

But it's worth it. Definitely an epic mountain and a climb you'll never forget. This past year I went up the Cables Route and that was even better. Next year is Keplinger's or the Loft.

Postby SolarAlex » Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:08 pm

longs is pretty easy, albeit a pretty long and tiring day. The hardest move is the chockstone at the top of the trough. The ledges and narrows are little more than walking...i would say they are both at least as wide as a sidewalk. 2 way traffic can pass on the narrows pretty easily for the most part. the homestretch is nowhere near as steep as it looks in pictures. Coming down the homestretch felt like the sketchiest part to me, but it was still very easy.

i thought longs was one of the better hikes ive been on...yes, it is crowded, but the views are just out of this world. Coming through the keyhole is an experience in itself.

Postby PaliKona » Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:42 pm

what about camping at Battle Mtn? At least it's off the beaten path and isn't there a cutoff trail from there to Granite Pass that saves some time?

Postby DaveLanders » Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:21 pm

PaliKona wrote:what about camping at Battle Mtn? At least it's off the beaten path and isn't there a cutoff trail from there to Granite Pass that saves some time?

Battle Mtn is a "group" campsite; this means you need somewhere around 6 or 7 people minimum
in your group. If a group hasn't reserved the site within about 5 days of your intended date,
then they will open it up to smaller parties. However, this makes long range planning impossible.

Postby PaliKona » Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:48 pm

oh ok, didn't realize that. It seems logistically that doing it in one day is the way to go and I'll just have to work up my endurance. I really want to enjoy this one and not just get through it :)

Previous