Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

rainbow lake

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

Re: rainbow lake

Postby Jim Davies » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:03 am

I hiked up that road one winter day back in the 90's. It was about eight miles from the campground where the 4WD begins to the wilderness closure (a few miles past Rainbow Lake), and I saw nobody the whole day. It made for a nice, safe long winter dayhike into a pretty basin. Don't know about camping, but it should be OK if you avoid private property. In summer it's probably busy with ATVs and such.
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of white blood cells.

Re: rainbow lake

Postby geojed » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:11 am

Yes you can drive to it. I did last Summer for a climb of Cottonwood Peak A. The road is VERY rocky and bumpy. Good clearance and 4WD is mandatory, especially to get to the Cloverdale Mine buildings. I made it in my 05 Nissan Pathfinder and scraped several times.

Here is a TR I made for the trip: http://14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=12302

Did I forget to mention that it is really rocky and bumpy? Because it is, so go really slow!

Also, here is a description of the road with pictures and they say there is great camping at Rainbow Lake.

http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=372
• It's by getting away from life that we can see it most clearly... It's by depriving ourselves of the myriad of everyday experiences that we renew our appreciation for them...I've learned from my experiences in the mountains that I love life. — Dave Johnston
• Mountains are not climbed merely to reach a geographical location — but as personal and spiritual challenges to the participants. — David Stein
• The best climber in the world is the one who’s having the most fun.— Alex Lowe
• Why do I climb the mountain? Because I'm in love! — The Captain