Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

2013 Lake City Ice Climbing Festival

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

2013 Lake City Ice Climbing Festival

Postby PKelley » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:01 am

This coming Saturday, February 9th, at 9:00 a.m. is the Lake City Ice Climbing Festival. There will be both men and women's timed top rope and lead events. Due to generous sponsorship by the Bent Gate, Camp, Black Diamond, and Mammut, as well as numerous local Lake City sponsors, this year's prizes are off the hook. Four pairs of Camp X-Dream ice tools will go to the first place finishers in each event. Second places will win Black Diamond crampons and ice screws, third places will win Camp harnesses and Mammut quick draws, and fourth places will win 6-packs of Camp and Mammut quick draws. Mammut has also provided a rope, and Camp will be giving out t-shirts, stickers, and other loot. Pro athletes from Camp and Mammut will be putting on free ice climbing clinics to anyone interested, with both beginner and more advanced sessions. Black Diamond, Camp and Mammut will also have free demo gear so that you can try out the latest and greatest the industry has to offer. It is only $25/person/event should you choose to participate and compete for prizes in the festival, or you can simply come and climb for free, try free gear, and attend free ice climbing clinics. As always, it's free to climb at the Lake City Ice Park.

As far as social events this weekend, there will be a meet and greet with free pizza at Restless Spirits Saloon on Friday evening starting at 7:00 p.m. Saturday, after the climbing festival, the awards ceremony will happen at the Packer's Saloon and Cannibal Grill. After the awards ceremony, there is a beach party at the Depot Saloon with live music. This is a weekend that you shouldn't miss if you like to ice climb, meet new people, and have lots of fun. Please visit www.lakecityiceclimbs.com for a poster with the festival details. Hope to see some of you there.

Finally, Sunday is a local's appreciation day at Wolf Creek. Anyone can buy a $35 lift ticket, and its supposed to be a powder day! Wouldn't it be horrible to have to hit WC on your way home after the festival?
The Dalai Lama when asked what surprised him most about humanity:
“Man. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money. Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”

Re: 2013 Lake City Ice Climbing Festival

Postby I Man » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:54 am

Has anyone been to this before?? The park is small from what I have seen. What are the chances of actually getting to climb on Saturday?

Probably going to check this out given the crappy forecast everywhere.
You can touch the void, just don't fall into it.

"I fly a starship across the universe divide....and when I reach the other side...I'll find a place to rest my spirit if I can. Perhaps I may become a Mountain Man again.

Postby PKelley » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:05 am

You will definitely be able to climb, whether or not you decide to compete.

Postby PKelley » Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:07 pm

The prize list has been finalized! For both men and women's lead competition, the prizes are: 1st Place) Pair of Camp X-Dream tools, 2nd Place) Mammut Rope and three quickdraws, 3rd Place) Two Balck Diamond Ice Screws and three quickdraws, 4th Place) Three quickdraws, 5th Place) Locking Carabiner.

For men and women's top rope competition, the prizes are: 1st Place) Pair of Camp X-Dream ice tools, 2nd Place) Black Diamond Stinger Crampons and three quickdraws, 3rd Place) Camp Air CR Harness and three quickdraws, 4th place) three quickdraws, 5th place) Locking carabiner.

We will also have a nice backpack up for grabs for some feat of endurance yet to be decided on. The ice is so blue and so nice right now, as Mad Dog has just finished putting the final touches on the ice. See you there!!!
The Dalai Lama when asked what surprised him most about humanity:
“Man. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money. Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”

Postby SurfNTurf » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:55 pm

What a great event. Competitions, free clinics, hardly any wait times to climb and a fun after-party. Thanks a ton to all the organizers and sponsors. Already looking forward to going back next year!
Many Miles to Go (Blog)

“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper

Postby PKelley » Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:07 pm

So glad to hear you had a good time! Thanks so much for coming, and we look forward to seeing you again next year. Spread the word on the festival.