Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

August Climb(s) and Lodging

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

August Climb(s) and Lodging

Postby Fire_on_High » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:19 pm

Hello! I'm very new to this site and to climbing. To alleviate some of my "newness," I'm planning a trip to the Rockies this August with a few friends. Another friend of mine suggested this site (which I had previously perused) as a good starting point! So, that all said, I'm looking to tackle Pike's Peak and, if we are able, Long's Peak.

I think I may be able to obtain good info for hiking gear and tips for hiking/climbing on other parts of the forum, but my main goal of this post is to get some suggestions for lodging in the Colorado Springs area. We're not looking for a hotel, but rather maybe one of those cabins or houses they rent out there. Given the wealth of specified knowledge and firsthand experience many of you have, I hope to avoid the possible roll of the dice by getting some good suggestions first time around! Also, we'll probably camp in RMNP, if we are able to take a stab at Long's. Any advice regarding that?

Many thanks for any advice and assistance anyone can give! I'm glad I can be a part of this community and hope to become a very active member!

T.D.

Re: August Climb(s) and Lodging

Postby bking14ers » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:34 pm

Peak to Peak Lodge on the edge of Estes Park is a very nice cheap place if your looking for a room after the long, long, long day you'll have climbing Longs. I've stayed there a couple times, and it's only a few miles from the TH. I think it's also the closest motel to the TH.

Postby Jim Davies » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:30 pm

Mueller State Park has cabins, and is just across the highway from the turnoff to the Crags trailhead. You'll need to reserve early, it's a very popular place.
http://www.parks.state.co.us/parks/mueller/cabins/Pages/MuellerCabinsHome.aspx

If you're looking to stay in Colorado Springs itself, there's a ton of possibilities. There are a number of more "rustic" (i.e. touristy) places in Manitou Springs, which have more character (and are closer to mountains) than most of the places in Colorado Springs proper.

If you want to go full-dirtbag-cheapskate :), you can camp for free along the road near the Crags trailhead, or for a few bucks camp at the Crags Campground and get a picnic table and tent pad.

When we climbed Longs last September, we stayed at the Olive Ridge Campground, a Forest Service facility a few miles south of the Longs Peak trailhead. It was almost empty a week after Labor Day; not sure what it'll be like in mid-summer, but it was convenient. There's also a campground at the trailhead that's doubtless harder to get a site at.
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths. -- Steven Wright

Postby Fire_on_High » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:32 pm

Thanks for the suggestions, fellas. My fav is the "full-dirtbag-cheapskate" suggestion, though I'm not really that much of a dirtbag \:D/ We could save a lot of money going with any of these choices!

Postby RosieTheSummiter » Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:00 pm

Jim Davies wrote:If you want to go full-dirtbag-cheapskate :), you can camp for free along the road near the Crags trailhead, or for a few bucks camp at the Crags Campground and get a picnic table and tent pad.

Full-dirtbag-cheapskate MLS#17836: This full-dirtbag-cheapskate property offers a verdant retreat while providing the busy outdoorsman with quick access to mystical and majestic worlds of the alpine! Behold the rocky spectacles that surround you as you take in the comfort of a luxurious spacious setting in your shelter where a nearby man-made spring bubble up from the earth to quench the thirst from a picturesque afternoon frolick. Enjoy the noctournal melodies of the forest as a vast celestial projection commands the evening skies.

I'll vouch for full-dirtbag-cheapskate! \:D/
"Don't get mad, get altitude."

Postby Fire_on_High » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:26 pm

Well now I feel silly...definitely not familiar with climbing/mountaineering vernacular :)