Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Reflectix - pot & dehydrated food cozy

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Reflectix - pot & dehydrated food cozy

Postby Dex » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:02 pm

I don't know if many here read the Backpackinglight.com forums but they can have some good info. They can get carried away with the minutia.

I had some of this - Reflectix
http://www.reflectixinc.com/basepage.asp?Page=Double+Reflective+Insulation&pageIndex=622

So, I made this.
http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=17522

I didn't use the Reflectix Tape.

And this
http://sectionhiker.com/diy-freezer-bag-cooking-cozy/

Some say you can make the bag cozy out of this:
http://www.joann.com/insul-bright/xprd986469/

The only downside of the Reflectix is that it can be a bit bulky but it is very light.
Montani Semper Liberi
"Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor implied. If you could repeat previously discredited memes or steer the conversation into irrelevant, off topic discussions, it would be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous." Barry Ritholtz

Re: Reflectix - pot & dehydrated food cozy

Postby hotrod » Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:36 pm

I wonder if this stuff could be used as a mat under a sleeping bag. I imagine a person couldn't just flop down on it or it would burst the bubbles. It might be bulky to carry in/on a backpack but very light.
Growing older is inevitable, but getting old is not.

Postby GregMiller » Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:25 pm

I took some with me for sitting on this weekend while camping. It turned out that it was quite slippery. If you maybe put some aquaseal lines down on it for traction it might work.

Postby MUni Rider » Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:05 pm

hotrod wrote:I wonder if this stuff could be used as a mat under a sleeping bag. I imagine a person couldn't just flop down on it or it would burst the bubbles. It might be bulky to carry in/on a backpack but very light.

Go to the auto section of Walmart and grab one of those silver accordian style windshield sun shades for 10-20 bucks.
"It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by the dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions and spends himself in a worthy course; who at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who, at worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly; so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory or defeat." (Theodore Roosevelt)

"Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit." (Edward Abbey)

Postby yedi » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:39 am

MUni Rider wrote:Go to the auto section of Walmart and grab one of those silver accordian style windshield sun shades for 10-20 bucks.

This works well. Using windshield reflectors for hammock camping in winter is pretty common.

Postby Dex » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:44 am

GregMiller wrote:I took some with me for sitting on this weekend while camping. It turned out that it was quite slippery. If you maybe put some aquaseal lines down on it for traction it might work.

REI sells these in a smaller size for $6 - I use it for sitting - very light.

http://www.rei.com/product/374053/standard-blue-foam-pad-regular
Montani Semper Liberi
"Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor implied. If you could repeat previously discredited memes or steer the conversation into irrelevant, off topic discussions, it would be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous." Barry Ritholtz

Postby GregMiller » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:19 am

Yeah, I was going to go check out some army surplus stores, and see how much I could pick up a green army pad for. I don't need it for sleeping, but it'd be nice for cutting a seat pad out of, and making insulation for stuff.