Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Should I trade in my Tacoma?

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds
Online
User avatar
Posts: 857
Joined: Tue Jun 06, 2006 2:39 pm
Location: Lakewood, CO

Re: Should I trade in my Tacoma?

Postby jaymz » Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:56 pm

Keep in mind also that you're not necessarily making the environmental impact of the Tacoma "zero" - someone else is eventually going to be driving it around. Unless you know how much that person will drive, what sort of vehicle they'll be replacing, etc., it's quite a stretch to assume that YOU replacing it will have a positive overall environmental impact.
Coming from someone who's always wanted one, keep the Tacoma!
(...or give it to me if you really feel that guilty :mrgreen: )

User avatar
Posts: 40
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2009 4:31 pm
Location: SE Wyoming

Re: Should I trade in my Tacoma?

Postby Wyoming Bob » Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:02 pm

TG, had mechanic take a look and had it out for a bit, then back on, point well taken given we have a mileage anniversary coming up and checking the code might be the perfect gift. Good :idea:
Thx!
Wyoming Bob
www.climbingwithbob.com
Win some . . . lose some . . . CaSO4.2H2O.

Online
User avatar
Posts: 1838
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:57 pm
Location: Here, Now

Re: Should I trade in my Tacoma?

Postby Dex » Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:02 pm

Wyoming Bob wrote:Trade in a Tacoma . . . what am I missing?

(I quit worrying about the yellow light about 125k ago)


My guess - you need a new gas tank cap.
Montani Semper Liberi
"Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor implied. If you could repeat previously discredited memes or steer the conversation into irrelevant, off topic discussions, it would be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous." Barry Ritholtz

Posts: 46
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:49 pm

Re: Should I trade in my Tacoma?

Postby ironman11 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:44 pm

Wyoming Bob wrote:TG, had mechanic take a look and had it out for a bit, then back on, point well taken given we have a mileage anniversary coming up and checking the code might be the perfect gift. Good :idea:
Thx!


Usually you can take it to autozone or advanced auto and they will run the obd2 scanner for free. It will save you a diagnositc charge with your mechanic.

Re: Should I trade in my Tacoma?

Postby FireOnTheMountain » Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:20 pm

Wow thanks for the replies everyone, made me think quite hard about it.

jaymz wrote:Unless you know how much that person will drive, what sort of vehicle they'll be replacing, etc., it's quite a stretch to assume that YOU replacing it will have a positive overall environmental impact.


This is an interesting argument. Sounds like the majority of you think that just keeping your car is more environmentally friendly than buying a new one. I somewhat see your point however, isn't that like saying don't use improved water heaters or thermally efficient windows just keep what you have now??

pvnisher wrote:Sidetracking a bit, but you know how lots of people recycle? But not that many do the more important of the three "R"s... Reduce, reuse, recycle.

In that order. Recycling aluminum or glass takes quite a bit of energy.


Great point pvnisher. Its sickening how much I try to reuse things and not just "throw them away". From veggie/fruit bags I reuse at the supermarket to printing on the backside of sheets at work.

TallGrass wrote:Lastly, consider a bicycle with cargo baskets


My truck sits idle from basically Sunday till Friday. I live on my bike and coupled with an RTD pass from work, I rarely drive during the week.

Thanks again.
Everyday is a G r A t E f U L Day here in the CO

User avatar
Posts: 723
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:25 pm

Re: Should I trade in my Tacoma?

Postby TallGrass » Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:26 pm

FireOnTheMountain wrote:
jaymz wrote:Unless you know how much that person will drive, what sort of vehicle they'll be replacing, etc., it's quite a stretch to assume that YOU replacing it will have a positive overall environmental impact.
This is an interesting argument. Sounds like the majority of you think that just keeping your car is more environmentally friendly than buying a new one. I somewhat see your point however, isn't that like saying don't use improved water heaters or thermally efficient windows just keep what you have now??

I'd say a P/U truck is a few magnitudes different than a window or heater, harder to "recycle" efficiently, and reflected in their relative prices. On that note, though, if you rent out your truck during the week you could arguably prevent someone from having to buy a vehicle. Wouldn't reducing waste include not just "reduce, reuse, recycle" but also maximizing efficient use? Those large dump trucks used in pit mines are often run 24/7/365 except for maintenance as that the only way they can recoup their co$$$$$$$t. If strangers bother you, there might be a non-profit or environment group that might find it beneficial to rent yours than to buy one for hauling plants or recyclables. I know some only sporadically have the need to move "freight".
Not sure if I'll do more 14ers. The trip reports are too tiring. :wink:

Online
User avatar
Posts: 1838
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:57 pm
Location: Here, Now

Re: Should I trade in my Tacoma?

Postby Dex » Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:45 pm

FireOnTheMountain wrote:
Sounds like the majority of you think that just keeping your car is more environmentally friendly than buying a new one. I somewhat see your point however, isn't that like saying don't use improved water heaters or thermally efficient windows just keep what you have now??



Do the math.

New car green house gases produced in mfg.

Divided by.

Net green house gasses not produced by mpg efficiencies per year.

Equals

Environmental pay back period in years.
Montani Semper Liberi
"Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor implied. If you could repeat previously discredited memes or steer the conversation into irrelevant, off topic discussions, it would be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous." Barry Ritholtz

User avatar
Posts: 117
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:59 pm

Re: Should I trade in my Tacoma?

Postby pills2619 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:48 pm

yeah just don't do the math in public...
They forget that some crisis is necessary to hone skill. "Near misses," those brief encounters with the reality of mortality, are great learning tools if properly approached. -Denali Climbers Guidebook

User avatar
Posts: 705
Joined: Thu Sep 28, 2006 9:46 pm
Location: Nidderdale, North Yorkshire

Re: Should I trade in my Tacoma?

Postby pvnisher » Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:38 pm

Depending on how you drive, the type of car doesn't even always matter that much. If you accelerate quickly from stoplights, you're hurting your mileage considerably.
A better enviro impact would be for everyone to:
1) slow down
2) accelerate less
3) don't tailgate (even if you call if "drafting", it still burns gas inefficiently because of the frequent on/off)
4) DOn't run the A/C so much.

There are lots of other things you can do that will bump your mileage up (and emissions down) that take no effort whatsoever, just a little thought.
I probably get better mileage in my Impreza or Vauxhall (1.8 liter engine) than some people who drive hybrids just because I drive more conservatively. \:D/

Posts: 44
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:28 pm
Location: NH

Re: Should I trade in my Tacoma?

Postby DaleP » Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:55 pm

I was listening to "Tech Talk" on the radio the other day where the program host stated that a Prius has a larger overall enviromental impact, considering the mining and manufacturing of the batteries, than a Hummer. I think I would be angry to find that out, if I had bought a Prius under the presumption that I was being more considerate for the enviroment. I drive a VW Jetta Sportwagen TDI which has great fuel mileage but I wouldn't dare try to get close to many of the more difficult trailheads, which would probably be the case for a GTI. The choice for me is to hike a little farther once in a while and same money on fuel all the rest of the time.

User avatar
Posts: 723
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:25 pm

Re: Should I trade in my Tacoma?

Postby TallGrass » Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:41 pm

pvnisher wrote:1) slow down 2) accelerate less
Steady speed (or slow changes in speed) and keeping the exhaust note as quiet as possible (increased dB is are pressure waves pushing out your tailpipe instead of down on pistons). Remember blowing past a H2 on a 45mph boulevard by hitting an open lane on green on a 49cc scoot maxing at ~39mph (triple-digit mpg). He floored it to catch up and pass me doing at least 50mph only to be the first to wait at the next red light where I passed him again by timing the green (yes, cross-traffic checked). We did this for several miles at at least eight lights and he never netted a gain because the area "under the curve" was the same.

Graphed X time and Y speed, it was something like this:
H2: /'''''\__/'''''\__/'''''\__ vs. scoot: -------------------
Top speed doesn't win at Indy; highest average does.
Not sure if I'll do more 14ers. The trip reports are too tiring. :wink:

User avatar
Posts: 4999
Joined: Wed May 04, 2005 11:46 am
Location: Craig

Re: Should I trade in my Tacoma?

Postby Scott P » Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:43 pm

I was listening to "Tech Talk" on the radio the other day where the program host stated that a Prius has a larger overall enviromental impact, considering the mining and manufacturing of the batteries, than a Hummer.


Some years ago (when the Prius was fairly new), someone (CMW) made that claim, but it was debunked over time. The claim made that it was made as such because (according to the source) a Hummer should last 3+ times as long as a Prius (109,000 miles vs 379,000 miles) and that the batteries would only last 50,000 to 60,000 miles. Of course both assumptions have been proven to be very incorrect (in fact the Prius has actually proven to be one of the more reliable cars on the road).

Weird how people are still talking about it as fact.
I'm slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.

PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: dpradas and 11 guests