Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Found: Odd Cache on Bierstadt

Post lost and found items here.

Found: Odd Cache on Bierstadt

Postby SurfNTurf » Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:47 pm

First off, I hope the owner is OK. Near a cairn around 13,500' on Bierstadt's standard route today (April 20), we discovered:

-A snowboard
-SkullCandy earbuds
-A handheld pole for a GoPro (sans GoPro)
-Cordelette tied with a fisherman's. Locking carabiner attached.
-Antique C.A.M.P crampons
-One glove
-A few other very random items

The cache has obviously been there a few days. There were only two other parties on the mountain: one walked right by it heading down, and the other said it wasn't theirs.

PM me a description of the snowboard and I'll gladly return the items. Considering I strapped the board onto my already stupid-heavy training pack and carried it down to the winter closure in poor conditions, I wouldn't turn down some beer as a thank you.
Many Miles to Go (Blog)

“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper

Re: Found: Odd Cache on Bierstadt

Postby Coxie2210 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:51 am

Light Beer since your in training right?
:-D

Postby Monte Meals » Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:08 pm

While I have no idea regarding the cache of stuff that you found -

Many thanks for the quasi trench across the willows. I skied across today (4/21)
with nary a hickup (though I did not continue on to the summit.)

I've heard from some of my Chablis and Cheese friends that Amstel Lite is *really*
the way to go if you must drink beer while training. I'll buy you a demi-split in appreciation.

Monte

Postby SurfNTurf » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:58 am

Not a skier or snowboarder, does anyone have suggestions for other sites/forums I can post this? BenfromtheEast is eager for me to get "that clownboard" out of our apartment.
Many Miles to Go (Blog)

“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper

Postby Steve Climber » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:37 pm

SurfNTurf wrote:Not a skier or snowboarder, does anyone have suggestions for other sites/forums I can post this? BenfromtheEast is eager for me to get "that clownboard" out of our apartment.

Have you tried TGR yet? maybe a posting on the trusty old list of that guy Craig? Not too familiar with any other forums to try. Good luck with it. Hope the owner is safe and sound.
Dave B wrote:And/or line thy helmet with tin foil and realize this is a freaking mountaineering website.

Steve Climber wrote:So that's your backpack, huh?

Postby Magnum420 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:16 pm

I'd put a note near the trailhead/winter parking for Bierstadt. Also, Maybe call the Sheriff's dept to see if anyone is missing or if anyone has reported their gear taken/stolen. I'm not a fan of people picking up caches like this not knowing what the circumstances were behind why it was left there, but thats just me.
"I was high on life till I realized it was cut with idiots!" ---Anon---

Postby nkan02 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:53 pm

At least when he carried the dog off Grays, Surf was able to locate the owners. What is he going to do with a snowboard? 8) hmm I see some potential here...

Postby bergsteigen » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:56 pm

Magnum420 wrote:Also, Maybe call the Sheriff's dept to see if anyone is missing or if anyone has reported their gear taken/stolen.

I would try this. Some of my BC ski friends had to leave their skis/gear during a major storm, and they contacted the Sheriff's office to make sure no one started looking for them, if others found the stash and reported it.
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games."
- Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)

http://otinasadventures.com

Postby kansas » Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:15 pm

SurfNTurf wrote: I wouldn't turn down some beer as a thank you.

Can I get at least one of those beers? It might ease the suffering inflicted on the back of my head by "that clownboard"
"In the end, of course, it changed almost nothing. But I came to appreciate that mountains make poor receptacles for dreams."
— Jon Krakauer

Postby awilbur77 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:39 pm

Magnum420 wrote:I'm not a fan of people picking up caches like this not knowing what the circumstances were behind why it was left there

I'm sure this has been discussed a million times on this forum, but I think this is a good point. Where do you draw the line on when to pick up gear and when to leave it? I'm a fan of leaving all gear I see, unless it's clearly litter, then I pick it up.

I ran into a situation like this on Shavano earlier this year when above the tree line near the saddle with Espirit, I came across a pack, boots, a single trekking pole, and a few other things. And, I knew for a fact that I was the last person down this mountain. I just left all the stuff there. I've got to assume someone left it there for a reason. I eventually discovered that this was likely the gear of a party that was lost, because when I got back to the trailhead, I saw SAR screaming into the TH to begin a rescue. I assume the gear was that of a couple of hikers who got off route. But it easily could have been the gear from a couple having sex behind the ridge, or someone who ducked behind a piece of talus to take a piss, or who knows what reason. I believe in leave no trace, but I also believe if someone left gear, it's their story and their reasoning, so let them deal with it.
"Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing." - Hellen Keller
http://www.summitrounder.com

Postby SurfNTurf » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:04 pm

It depends on the circumstances. If something appeared to be stashed recently and still have a purpose, I'd leave it alone. This particular cache had obviously been up there for several days. At some point, there's no longer a valid reason for something to be on the mountain. Give me one realistic scenario in which someone would leave a snowboard, earbuds, one glove and a GoPro pole at 13,500' on Bierstadt overnight, let alone for two or three days?

To me and the rest of my party, it looked like someone had left the items because they had to get down in a hurry. It turns out we were on the right track. Without going into details, I've been put in contact with the owner, who left his belongings behind on 4/13 (a week before we removed them) in an emergency situation. I haven't reached him directly yet, but I'm willing to bet he'll be OK with me returning his gear without him having to a) cut his losses or b) drive across the state and hike to 13,500' on Bierstadt again to retrieve it himself.

Thanks for speculating without knowing any of the details, though. I even considered taking a photo of the half-buried cache before we disturbed it to ward off the Internet vigilantes. Ah well. Be careful climbing down off your high horses, fellas.
Many Miles to Go (Blog)

Postby awilbur77 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:12 pm

SurfNTurf wrote:It depends on the circumstances. If something appeared to be stashed recently and still have a purpose, I'd leave it alone. This particular cache had obviously been up there for several days. At some point, there's no longer a valid reason for something to be on the mountain. Give me one realistic scenario in which someone would leave a snowboard, earbuds, one glove and a GoPro pole at 13,500' on Bierstadt overnight, let alone for two or three days?

To me and the rest of my party, it looked like someone had left the items because they had to get down in a hurry. It turns out we were on the right track. Without going into details, I've been put in contact with the owner, who left his belongings behind on 4/13 (a week before we removed them) in an emergency situation. I haven't reached him directly yet, but I'm willing to bet he'll be OK with me returning his gear without him having to a) cut his losses or b) drive across the state and hike to 13,500' on Bierstadt again to retrieve it himself.

Thanks for speculating without knowing any of the details, though. I even considered taking a photo of the half-buried cache before we disturbed it to ward off the Internet vigilantes. Ah well. Be careful climbing down off your high horses, fellas.

Damn, get defensive much? I was merely pointing out an alternate way of thinking about it. Sort to rub "the Jeff" ego the wrong way, but it's no reason to resort to calling people you don't even know names (internet vigilante) and assuming ill intent. I was merely trying to identify a means of determining the gray area of leaving the cache, vs. carrying it down.
"Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing." - Hellen Keller
http://www.summitrounder.com

Next