Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

New Spring Gathering Location & Thread - SHAV/TAB

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

New Spring Gathering Location & Thread - SHAV/TAB

Postby SurfNTurf » Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:13 pm

2013 SPRING GATHERING
DATE: May 10-12, 2013

The plan was to wait until the upcoming weekend to decide whether to stick with Castle/Conundrum or change locations to Shavano/Tabeguache for the 2013 Spring Gathering. These options were Nos. 1 and 2 in a fairly close poll taken earlier this spring. After spending the last several days thinking on it and consulting others, it's not necessary to postpone this announcement. The majority opinion is that shifting the Gathering to Shav/Tab is the prudent decision.

For anyone not familar with the standard routes on Castle/Conundrum, the approach to Montezuma Basin is a textbook avalanche terrain trap. Depending on what the weather does over the next two weeks, the approach might be "safe" by May 11/12 -- but even so, I wouldn't feel comfortable having large groups traipsing under those slopes. Especially given what just happened at Loveland Pass. Avalanche conditions aside, with this much snow even the standard route on Castle would likely be over the heads of most beginners. The spirit of the Gatherings has always been social, welcoming and inclusive, not pushing routes accessible only to the experienced. The hope when the location was initially set at Castle/Conundrum was for leaner snow conditions, which didn't pan out.

Shavano/Tabeguache and the surrounding peaks offer something for everyone. Nearly the entire Sawatch range is reasonably accessible from where we'll be camping. I apologize to anyone who had their heart set on Castle/Conundrum, they should be in fine shape later in May and June.

Please use this thread to coordinate carpools, climbing itineraries, and so forth. I'll follow-up soon with campsite information.
Many Miles to Go (Blog)

“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper

Re: New Spring Gathering Location & Thread - SHAV/TAB

Postby screeman57 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:28 pm

Very wise decision--thanks for all of the planning and the good communication.

I'll be arriving late on Friday night and camping in the meadow (assuming that's the plan).
"Never measure the height of a mountain until you have reached the top. Then you will see how low it was." -Dag Hammarskjold

Postby Fisching » Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:39 pm

RAGE!!!

Anyways, you kids all have fun.
Peter Aitchison on the risks of rock climbing and mountaineering: "That's life, isn't it? We think the challenge and satisfaction you get from doing this is worth the risks."

"Respect the mountain. Train hard. Hope you can sneak up when it isn't looking."

"The mind is always worried about consequences, but the heart knows no fear. The heart just does what it wants."

Postby nkan02 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:54 pm

Hoping Shav is still skiable. :) Good choice, Jeff

Postby saxlover » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:01 pm

elevation beer in poncha springs is a must
Andrew Tobin

Postby kushrocks » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:51 pm

screeman57 wrote: Very wise decision--thanks for all of the planning and the good communication.

Totally agreed. Good call sir
" The two most important days in your life are the day you were born, and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
"Danger in Alpinism is just part of the game. As soon as you eliminate the danger you have just every other sport." Febrizio Zangrilli
“The best climber in the world is the one who is having all the fun.” – Alex Lowe
"To travel, to experience and learn, that is to live" - Sherpa Tensing Norgay (first person to Summit Mt. Everest)
"Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit" - Edward Abbey
" Don’t be afraid to move out of your comfort zone. Some of your best life experiences and opportunities will transpire only after you dare to loose."

Postby climbnowworklater » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:58 pm

I wanted to get this one done but I appreciate your primary concern being group safety.

I have done Shav/Tab, so, if anyone is planning on another peak for that weekend and would like a partner, let me know.

I just did Yale (4-27-13 8hrs r/t) and it was a blast. Can't wait to get out again in two weeks. Humboldt maybe?
"the best climber in the world, is the one having the most fun!" Alex Lowe

Postby SilverLynx » Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:12 pm

I plan on being there! I would like to descend the Angel.
"I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear."
~Nelson Mandela

"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma - which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of others' opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition."
~Steve Jobs

Postby SolarAlex » Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:42 pm

id love to climb these 2 and ride down the angel. strong maybe for sure!

Postby MountainHiker » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:22 pm

Mountainhikerette & I were already leaning towards Shavano & Tabeguache that weekend. See you there.
Red, Rugged, and Rotten: The Elk Range - Borneman & Lampert

Postby somethingrandom » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:57 pm

Im fighting a NASTY case of bronchitis but this will be my first gathering I can make since Bill's Holy Cross finisher, I am in at least to camp and party.

If anyone else is obscenely slow and wants a buddy I would LOVE to climb as well. I would like to tackle the Angel if we can get there safely but just dont know what my lungs will say.

That said, thanks a ton for putting this together Jeff and we need to snowball Keith for falling behind on it =D>
-Just as soon as you idiot proof something, some a**hole is just going to come along and make a better idiot.

-To Cessna: "November one, zero, four Lima Papa, wind 080 at 90 peak gusts 120, runway 35 cleared for takeoff"

To fellow controller: "Watch this sh!t"

-Whether climbing or flying, the single greatest thing to remember is that every ascent is optional, and if you feel like making another, your subsequent descent is mandatory.

Postby GregMiller » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:00 pm

Having skied the Angel, but not gotten either summit, I'm definitely in.

Anyone up for a stupid early (read: 4 AM) start on Saturday? I'd like to get both summits but still be able to get decent (read: not going to die in an avalanche) skiing in the Angel. If nothing else, we'd get back that much earlier for Saturday night's shenanigans :-)

EDIT - I want an earlier start because my pace would be charitably described as 'medium' and steady

Next