Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Who decided it was monsoon season already?

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Who decided it was monsoon season already?

Postby TravelingMatt » Wed May 15, 2013 5:39 pm

It was winter last week and now this is our third straight day of monsoonal weather. 2013 is The Year Without Spring.
So pleas'd at first the towering Alps we try,
Mount o'er the vales, and seem to tread the sky,
Th' increasing prospects tire our wand'ring eyes,
Hills peep o'er hills, and Alps on Alps arise!
-- Alexander Pope

Re: Who decided it was monsoon season already?

Postby SilverLynx » Wed May 15, 2013 5:48 pm

TravelingMatt wrote:It was winter last week and now this is our third straight day of monsoonal weather. 2013 is The Year Without Spring.

Seriously! Where did it go? From snowstorms to thunderstorms without skipping a beat.
"I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear."
~Nelson Mandela

"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma - which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of others' opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition."
~Steve Jobs

Postby zdero1 » Wed May 15, 2013 6:14 pm

god.

j/k :xST

I'm thankful we've got a ton of precip throughout the state. Perhaps the wildflowers won't die off in August and less houses will burn to the ground this year. Perhaps Wildlobo can water his lawn without restriction???

I haven't been to the high country as frequently as I would have liked but I've come to terms with that!

Postby Dex » Wed May 15, 2013 6:19 pm

Global Warming
Montani Semper Liberi
"Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor implied. If you could repeat previously discredited memes or steer the conversation into irrelevant, off topic discussions, it would be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous." Barry Ritholtz

Postby Jim Davies » Wed May 15, 2013 8:30 pm

Wait, you think there's too much precipitation? Are you daft, man?
prechilostate13.gif
prechilostate13.gif (42.25 KiB) Viewed 586 times
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of white blood cells.

Postby wildlobo71 » Wed May 15, 2013 8:33 pm

zdero1 wrote:Perhaps Wildlobo can water his lawn without restriction???

Restrictions schmeschmictions... Watering my lawn unabated is the only way to keep the neighborhood taggers from my fence and garage.
Bill W.
Yes, I have my Scotch.

Postby bob863 » Wed May 15, 2013 9:59 pm

nothing better than slogging up a wet, muddy, slippery gulch and crossing several chest deep streams,,,eh??

Postby zdero1 » Wed May 15, 2013 10:56 pm

Jim Davies wrote:Wait, you think there's too much precipitation? Are you daft, man?
prechilostate13.gif

Who said anything about "too much" precip? No one.

Postby MUni Rider » Thu May 16, 2013 1:01 am

The Coloradian definition of "monsoon" makes anyone familiar with Southern Asian monsoons laugh hysterically. :roll:
"It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by the dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions and spends himself in a worthy course; who at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who, at worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly; so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory or defeat." (Theodore Roosevelt)

"Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit." (Edward Abbey)

Postby Fisching » Thu May 16, 2013 10:12 am

MUni Rider wrote:The Coloradian definition of "monsoon" makes anyone familiar with Southern Asian monsoons laugh hysterically. :roll:

+1

A picture I took of the flooded highway during monsoon season in Talasari, India. There's a car in there. I think.
Peter Aitchison on the risks of rock climbing and mountaineering: "That's life, isn't it? We think the challenge and satisfaction you get from doing this is worth the risks."

"Respect the mountain. Train hard. Hope you can sneak up when it isn't looking."

"The mind is always worried about consequences, but the heart knows no fear. The heart just does what it wants."

Postby TravelingMatt » Thu May 16, 2013 11:28 am

All right, fine. So who decided it was everything-clouds-up-by-noon-and-it-rains-off-and-on-the-rest-of-the-day-with-intermittent-lightning season already?
So pleas'd at first the towering Alps we try,
Mount o'er the vales, and seem to tread the sky,
Th' increasing prospects tire our wand'ring eyes,
Hills peep o'er hills, and Alps on Alps arise!
-- Alexander Pope