Mt of the Holy Cross - Cross Couloir Conditions

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
rqshearerGT06
14ers: 5 
Trip Reports (0)

Mt of the Holy Cross - Cross Couloir Conditions

Post by rqshearerGT06 »

We're coming in from out of town and wondering if the snow was still climbable on the Cross Couloir route. We were planning to go up the couloir and down the standard route. Thanks for the help.
cwell
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Mt of the Holy Cross - Cross Couloir Conditions

Post by cwell »

I would like to know this too. Wanting to climb this route this weekend.
boudreaux
14ers: 57 
13ers: 113
Trip Reports (11)

Post by boudreaux »

from 7/9
Ragin Cajun
+101RouteHog+
14ers: 49 
13ers: 5 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by +101RouteHog+ »

I'm looking at the ridge walk for Tuesday. Thanks!
SoCool
14ers: 49  1  5 
13ers: 35 3
Trip Reports (2)

Post by SoCool »

I ascended the Cross Couloir on 7/25. There is continuous snow, but I advise against anybody doing this in such warm temperatures. The snow was dangerously soft even though I started before sunrise. In other words, it would be easy to slip, and self arrest would be very difficult.

EDIT: BTW that photo that Boudreaux posted ^^^ makes the couloir look easier than the reality, an anomaly of sorts since many route photos make things look harder than they are. IMO this couloir is a blast, but only for expert snow climbers in perfect conditions.