Longs Loft Route

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Valesia
14ers: 37 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (1)

Longs Loft Route

Post by Valesia »

Hey everyone,

I was talking to a ranger about the loft route yesterday after doing the keyhole route. I attempted the route last year before I moved here and it proved to be a fun yet humbling event. We had issues and had to turn back due to weather. Anyway the ranger was saying something about some landsliding happening around Clarks arrow last fall preventing someone from taking the easier yet longer route around the arrow.

Has anyone heard anything about this or is the ranger nuts. he has been crazy in the past but I wanted to check before heading up. PS any conditions would be great, not sure how all the snow this winter effected things.

Thanks
Life does not come with cairns to guide you, you must follow your dreams.
WSN
14ers: 31 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (3)

Re: Longs Loft Route

Post by WSN »

I did the loft route 2 weeks ago. I didn't see the Clark's Arrow. Maybe it is faint so hard to see. Basically you follow cairns after you cross the loft. Then there will be a substantial down climb in a gully filled by large rocks. One or two difficult, maybe class 4, moves might be needed. Don't expect to exit this gully until it is very obvious that you can walk into the Keplinger couloir. You will lose a lot of elevation here.
flintster
14ers: 45 
13ers: 23
Trip Reports (0)

Post by flintster »

Gone.

http://www.14ers.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... ow#p534294" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HikerGuy
14ers: 58 
13ers: 426 8
Trip Reports (9)

Post by HikerGuy »

flintster wrote:Gone.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=43840&hilit=clarks+arrow#p534294
Supposedly it's still there:
http://www.14ers.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 21#p538021" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mtnjim
14ers: 57 
13ers: 215
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtnjim »

I've probably been through there 8 or 10 times. I've never seen Clark's Arrow. I've occasionally glanced around to see if I cold spot it but never spent any time searching for it. Never had a problem back to the Loft, either.
SikYou
14ers: 24 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SikYou »

HikerGuy wrote:
flintster wrote:Gone.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=43840&hilit=clarks+arrow#p534294
Supposedly it's still there:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=44141&p=538021#p538021
The pics don't lie :-$