Utah Wasatch 11ers Recommendation

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Sbenfield
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 352 4 25
Trip Reports (5)

Utah Wasatch 11ers Recommendation

Post by Sbenfield »

I’m going to visit some family in SLC next weekend, and am hoping to hike one or two Wasatch 11ers while I’m there.

I’ve already done Timpanogos, Mt Nebo, and Pfeifferhorn. I was thinking Lone Pk might be fun, but am open to considering anything. Do any Wasatch enjoyers have recommendations for what I should hike??

Thanks,
Steve
ScottLovesRMNP
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 345 4
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Utah Wasatch 11ers Recommendation

Post by ScottLovesRMNP »

Last week on my way back from Colorado to California for the year, I stopped in the area and climbed the ultra-prominent mountain Deseret Peak. It's not in the Wasatch but is right across the way from the range and offers great views of the Salt Lake valley and the Wasatch range peaks. Deseret is an easy Class 1 hike that'll just take you a few short hours. Easy access, beautiful views! I thought it was nice :-)

Cheers,
Scott
greenonion
14ers: 52  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by greenonion »

Sbenfield wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 3:38 pm I’m going to visit some family in SLC next weekend, and am hoping to hike one or two Wasatch 11ers while I’m there.

I’ve already done Timpanogos, Mt Nebo, and Pfeifferhorn. I was thinking Lone Pk might be fun, but am open to considering anything. Do any Wasatch enjoyers have recommendations for what I should hike??

Thanks,
Steve
Lone Peak is one of my favorites, and I live in SLC. The cirque under the peak is gorgeous and reminds me of a little Yosemite area. I’ve only done the Jacob’s Ladder route from Corner Canyon. The ladder section is an hour of steep loose hell but it’s worth it when you reach the higher area and begin traversing east and over into the cirque. A bit of route finding in and out of that cirque but you should be fine. A little bit spicy approaching the summit area but no biggie. Pretty long day

If you want spicier, then I suggest the south ridge of Superior Peak in Little Cottonwood Canyon across the road from Snowbird. Low class 5 in places is what I’ve heard. Ascend south ridge, descend standard east ridge and walk road back to car.

The standard route up Superior from the east ridge is decent too and a little spicy, but not bad.

I’d recommend Lone Peak over Superior, though, and most other peaks in the Wasatch. Would love to join you but if it’s next weekend I’ll be out of town, but I know you didn’t ask!
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

In my opinion, next to Timpanogos the most scenic 11er in the Wasatch is to climb Dromedary Peak from Lake Blanche.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
greenonion
Trip Reports (0)

Post by greenonion »

Scott P wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 4:59 pm In my opinion, next to Timpanogos the most scenic 11er in the Wasatch is to climb Dromedary Peak from Lake Blanche.
Tough slog. I tried that once from Blanche but couldn’t figure out a reasonable route from that side (Blanche side vs Broad Forks). Any hints on where to go, Scott? Not intending to highjack this, but Steve (and me) might need more details to figure that out.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

greenonion wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 5:13 pm Tough slog. I tried that once from Blanche but couldn’t figure out a reasonable route from that side (Blanche side vs Broad Forks). Any hints on where to go, Scott? Not intending to highjack this, but Steve (and me) might need more details to figure that out.
I don't remember it being that bad, but it'd been well over three decades ago. Here's one trip report:

http://www.micksmtn.20m.com/dromedary.html

Here's another one:

https://www.stavislost.com/hikes/trail/ ... ke-blanche

Before the Wasatch 11ers book came out, it was the standard and most used route (though it's one of the lesser climbed 11ers).

The route is in the 1977 Wasatch Trails Volume 2 Book and the two editions if the newer Hiking the Wasatch books 1988-2014. I'm not home right now so I don't have the books with me right now though.

Anyway, other than how scenic it was, I don't remember that many details, but I believe the route I used was similar to the one in the Stav is Lost link. It's slightly different than the Wasatch Trails Volume 2 route, but both should go fine.

This is the only non snow route I have taken on any of the Triple Traverse Peak and I don't remember it being that bad and a lot easier than some of the other nearby scrambles and easier than peaks such as North Thunder and no harder than Lone.

All other routes I have done on the Triple Traverse Peaks were snow climbs from Hounds Tooth Ridge, Broads Fork, and Tanners Gulch. Of course it won't be snow climbing season until next year.

The reason I consider Dromendary from Lake Blanche to be the 2nd most scenic 11er in the Wasatch is because its scenic top to bottom and Lake Blanche is the one of the most scenic lakes in the Wasatch.

Lone Peak, for example is scenic up high, but not so much until you get up high. Maybe Bells Canyon route is an exception, but that route is a bit tedious to get out of the Bells drainage and onto the ridge to climb Lone.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
aholle88
14ers: 57  24  26 
13ers: 301 29 3
Trip Reports (1)

Post by aholle88 »

Mini cottonwood (Twin peaks to dromedary and down to lake blanche). Twin peaks is neat on its own, ascend this slabby rock up a steep slope to a little scramble on the ridge

*Sundial via lake Blanche. I did this after I ran the cottonwood ridge from twin peaks to superior, reversed some of the ridge and went to Sundial/lake Blanche to finish. This peak has a really cool setting in the middle of the basin and the lake Blanche area is stunning. This or south ridge superior were my favorites I’ve done.

South ridge of superior is an excellent scramble, 5th class in spots if you stay direct on the ridge. Scenic walkoff the east ridge

Lone peak was one I wanted to get to last year but didn’t have time, looked like a cool area from the Cottonwood ridge
greenonion
Trip Reports (0)

Post by greenonion »

Scott P wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 11:30 pm
greenonion wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 5:13 pm Tough slog. I tried that once from Blanche but couldn’t figure out a reasonable route from that side (Blanche side vs Broad Forks). Any hints on where to go, Scott? Not intending to highjack this, but Steve (and me) might need more details to figure that out.
I don't remember it being that bad, but it'd been well over three decades ago. Here's one trip report:

http://www.micksmtn.20m.com/dromedary.html

Here's another one:

https://www.stavislost.com/hikes/trail/ ... ke-blanche

Before the Wasatch 11ers book came out, it was the standard and most used route (though it's one of the lesser climbed 11ers).

The route is in the 1977 Wasatch Trails Volume 2 Book and the two editions if the newer Hiking the Wasatch books 1988-2014. I'm not home right now so I don't have the books with me right now though.

Anyway, other than how scenic it was, I don't remember that many details, but I believe the route I used was similar to the one in the Stav is Lost link. It's slightly different than the Wasatch Trails Volume 2 route, but both should go fine.

This is the only non snow route I have taken on any of the Triple Traverse Peak and I don't remember it being that bad and a lot easier than some of the other nearby scrambles and easier than peaks such as North Thunder and no harder than Lone.

All other routes I have done on the Triple Traverse Peaks were snow climbs from Hounds Tooth Ridge, Broads Fork, and Tanners Gulch. Of course it won't be snow climbing season until next year.

The reason I consider Dromendary from Lake Blanche to be the 2nd most scenic 11er in the Wasatch is because its scenic top to bottom and Lake Blanche is the one of the most scenic lakes in the Wasatch.

Lone Peak, for example is scenic up high, but not so much until you get up high. Maybe Bells Canyon route is an exception, but that route is a bit tedious to get out of the Bells drainage and onto the ridge to climb Lone.
Thanks, Scott. I'll look further into Dromedary. I appreciate the details. And you describe the bottom to top scenery aspects of those two hikes well. I just really happen to enjoy Lone Peak a lot, even if the lower half simply contains character building.
Gahugafuga
14ers: 53 
13ers: 98
Trip Reports (2)

Post by Gahugafuga »

South Thunder from Alpine is a nice hike. It flirts with the challenges of the Lone Peak area but isn't quite as character-building. There is also a lot of solitude back in the Hamangogs. When I did South Thunder, I traversed over to Bighorn then descended straight down the south ridge back to the trail. It's a pretty dramatic line that is very prominent from Utah Valley, but not particularly difficult as a descent. For maximum points, you can even traverse to Lone Peak, but that's a big, big day.

And a shout out for Box Elder if you just want a simple trail hike to a summit in the middle of everything.
Sbenfield
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Sbenfield »

These suggestions give me a lot to think about! Thank you all for the great information!
Sbenfield
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Sbenfield »

greenonion wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 4:02 pm
Sbenfield wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 3:38 pm I’m going to visit some family in SLC next weekend, and am hoping to hike one or two Wasatch 11ers while I’m there.

Thanks,
Steve
Lone Peak is one of my favorites, and I live in SLC. The cirque under the peak is gorgeous and reminds me of a little Yosemite area. I’ve only done the Jacob’s Ladder route from Corner Canyon. The ladder section is an hour of steep loose hell but it’s worth it when you reach the higher area and begin traversing east and over into the cirque. A bit of route finding in and out of that cirque but you should be fine. A little bit spicy approaching the summit area but no biggie. Pretty long day

If you want spicier, then I suggest the south ridge of Superior Peak in Little Cottonwood Canyon across the road from Snowbird. Low class 5 in places is what I’ve heard. Ascend south ridge, descend standard east ridge and walk road back to car.

The standard route up Superior from the east ridge is decent too and a little spicy, but not bad.

I’d recommend Lone Peak over Superior, though, and most other peaks in the Wasatch. Would love to join you but if it’s next weekend I’ll be out of town, but I know you didn’t ask!
I’ll have to let you know when I’m in the area when you are in town sometime! I visit SLC pretty frequently
greenonion
Trip Reports (0)

Post by greenonion »

Sbenfield wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 7:41 pm
greenonion wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 4:02 pm

Thanks,
Steve

I’ll have to let you know when I’m in the area when you are in town sometime! I visit SLC pretty frequently
Looking forward to that!