Mt Blue Sky

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Matt
14ers: 58 
13ers: 208
Trip Reports (32)

Re: Mt Blue Sky

Post by Matt »

two lunches wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 9:05 am
justiner wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 9:01 am What should we rename the Evans Egis to?
can we call it the Scott Gomer Creek Massacre..?
Wasn't Missy left on the Sawtooth?
How about "Missy's Bane?"
We are all greater artists than we realize -FWN
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -HDT
Peak List
CaptainSuburbia
14ers: 58  35 
13ers: 126 9
Trip Reports (44)

Post by CaptainSuburbia »

two lunches wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 8:40 am thought i'd start a different thread to solicit interesting, unique routes to re-summit one of my least favorite peaks and maybe turn it into one of my favorites... who's got the best, senselessly difficult way up and back again. style points obviously count
A winter summit from Guanella Pass would probably be the best way.
Some day our kids will study Clash lyrics in school.
Nothing drives people crazy like people drive people crazy.
Save Challenger Point
HikesInGeologicTime
14ers: 58  9  18 
13ers: 66 3 11
Trip Reports (50)

Post by HikesInGeologicTime »

Who’s in charge of (re)naming the road? As of Saturday, CDOT was still calling it the Mt. Evans Road on highway signs warning about said road’s closure (presumably due to a need to clear out the snow), though maybe that’s just because the name change is so recent that those who aren’t heavily invested in fourteener drama would be pretty confused reading about the Mt. Blue Sky Road.

As to the OP…biking the road (or walking the bike up, if you’re as bad as I am at riding uphill) after it closes next month is a fun way to get back down, at least.
"I'm not selling drugs, dude. Drugs sell themselves. I'm selling stoke!"
- Guy at the table next to mine at Alta's Slopeside Cafe, in what I can't help but selfishly hope were (will be?) his verbatim words to the arresting officer(s)
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

There are some nice couloir routes on the north side of the peak, but you have to have faith that tourist (or Dr. Jon) won't throw rocks down them.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

HikesInGeologicTime wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 9:52 am Who’s in charge of (re)naming the road?
The Forest Service has already renamed it, but it might take a while before CDOT renames it and replaces the signs. The temporary signs will likely use the old name to match the permanent signs to avoid confusion. I doubt it is a top priority.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/arp/rec ... ecid=28508

Anyway, I think the most important question/debate is if The Snave is now The Yks Eulb?

https://www.mountainproject.com/route/1 ... /the-snave

That's a much more interesting topic than the endless butthurt posts on the name change of the peak itself.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Dave B »

Peak style points would be biking up the road to climb one of the 5th class routes on the Apron with a N facing couloir ski descent.

Also, what a time of manufactured controversy we live in.
Make wilderness less accessible.
HikesInGeologicTime
14ers: 58  9  18 
13ers: 66 3 11
Trip Reports (50)

Post by HikesInGeologicTime »

Scott P wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 10:01 am
HikesInGeologicTime wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 9:52 am Who’s in charge of (re)naming the road?
The Forest Service has already renamed it, but it might take a while before CDOT renames it and replaces the signs. The temporary signs will likely use the old name to match the permanent signs to avoid confusion. I doubt it is a top priority.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/arp/rec ... ecid=28508
Kinda impressed with how quickly they updated the website. Now I’m also wondering about all the maps/brochures they hand out at the entry station…is it worth collecting the ones with the old name on them because they’ll be worth something someday? :lol:
…The Yks Eulb…
All I’m sure of is that if you say that three times in a row, you’ll summon something from some netherworld.
"I'm not selling drugs, dude. Drugs sell themselves. I'm selling stoke!"
- Guy at the table next to mine at Alta's Slopeside Cafe, in what I can't help but selfishly hope were (will be?) his verbatim words to the arresting officer(s)
constipated_pete
14ers: 33  2 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by constipated_pete »

Scott P wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 9:54 am There are some nice couloir routes on the north side of the peak, but you have to have faith that tourist (or Dr. Jon) won't throw rocks down them.
+1 on snow climbs when the road opens memorial day weekend. Although they might be too much fun for too little effort for your criteria...
12ersRule
14ers: 58 
13ers: 159
Trip Reports (4)

Post by 12ersRule »

Autumn hike up Hells Hole to saddle of Sugarloaf and 12967, ridgeline to summit of 12967 then long tundra romp to Spalding and then up to Blue Sky looks good.

Shorter alternative would be park at Guanella pass - go over 12967 on ascent, then return more directly to Guanella.
two lunches
14ers: 43  2 
13ers: 62 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by two lunches »

12ersRule wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 11:28 am Autumn hike up Hells Hole to saddle of Sugarloaf and 12967, ridgeline to summit of 12967 then long tundra romp to Spalding and then up to Blue Sky looks good.
you have my attention. i loved Hells Hole and this would give me some 12ers
“To walk in nature is to witness a thousand miracles.” – Mary Davis
daway8
14ers: 58  24 
13ers: 164 29
Trip Reports (76)

Post by daway8 »

two lunches wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 8:40 am thought i'd start a different thread to solicit interesting, unique routes to re-summit one of my least favorite peaks and maybe turn it into one of my favorites... who's got the best, senselessly difficult way up and back again. style points obviously count
Not really all that difficult but if you're just looking to make it more interesting then do the typical West Ridge but pop up onto the actual ridge top - not only do you get the bonus 14er sub-summit, West Evans, you also get some absolutely wicked exposure teetering over a death plunge into Summit Lake. Very easy scramble but the views/exposure are an order of magnitude above the standard trail that's only maybe 20 feet below.

See my TR https://www.14ers.com/php14ers/triprepo ... m=tripmine for a preview - it's especially beautiful with some snow clinging to the cliffs...

Tour de Abyss is a classic that I've yet to check out but sounds like a fun variant.
SnowAlien
14ers: 58  57  58 
13ers: 679 132 15
Trip Reports (113)

Post by SnowAlien »

My favorite route up Evans has been the Aprons - we did the 2nd Apron, I would like to explore another line eventually. 4 pitches, alpine granite and takes you to the ridge - just a short walk to the summit. Thoroughly enjoyed it.
https://www.mountainproject.com/area/10 ... the-aprons
2nd best option is skiing the North couloirs - short & sweet.
Tour de Abyss is the 3rd option, but the best part of it is Bierstadt's East ridge and Sawtooth.