New reservation system coming for Mount Evans, Brainard Lake

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
cottonmountaineering
14ers: 58  7  18 
13ers: 178 38 31
Trip Reports (1)

Re: New reservation system coming for Mount Evans, Brainard Lake

Post by cottonmountaineering »

lkk8815 wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 9:59 am I wish they would save a chunk of the available permits to be released the day prior, or something like that. I also don’t like planning day trips months in advance since everything is so dependent on the weather.

The permit system does seem like a reasonable solution to me though. I volunteered for the Forest Service in Boulder for a few years and Brainard was a zoo in the summer even before covid. There’s only so many parking spaces, I think it’s much better to have a permit-based system so people know they can get in when they show up instead of having to sit in their car in a line for hours, waiting for a parking spot to open up.
i think some other permit systems like rainier and whitney have something like that

an unintended side effect ive noticed is campground reservations are getting scalped, resold at a higher price recently
headsizeburrito
14ers: 29  18 
13ers: 89 4
Trip Reports (8)

Post by headsizeburrito »

lkk8815 wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 9:59 am I wish they would save a chunk of the available permits to be released the day prior, or something like that. I also don’t like planning day trips months in advance since everything is so dependent on the weather.
I'm sure they will, but those will also be difficult to get if the experience RMNP had last year (and likely this year) is anything to go by:
While 10% of the reservations for a given date are set aside and made available two days in advance at 8 a.m, park officials say your chances aren’t good of getting them that way.

“Those sell out within two to five minutes of when they go on sale,”
https://theknow.denverpost.com/2020/07/ ... em/241951/
dubsho3000
14ers: 58  8  2 
13ers: 110 14
Trip Reports (6)

Post by dubsho3000 »

The permit system does seem like a reasonable solution to me though. I volunteered for the Forest Service in Boulder for a few years and Brainard was a zoo in the summer even before covid. There’s only so many parking spaces, I think it’s much better to have a permit-based system so people know they can get in when they show up instead of having to sit in their car in a line for hours, waiting for a parking spot to open up.
I agree. I recently went to Zion somewhat last minute (maybe 2 weeks' planning) and was happy that there was a day-ahead option for the shuttle reservation system. The also have a first-come-first-served option from 2-4pm, day-of. It's just nice to have some flexibility so poor-planners or weather-watchers aren't totally left out. I mean, some of us like to be spontaneous, amirite?