What Is a Summit? [NY Times]

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
Please do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website. For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
User avatar
nyker
Posts: 2654
Joined: 12/6/2007
14ers: 58
13ers: 22
Trip Reports (69)

Re: What Is a Summit? [NY Times]

Post by nyker » Thu May 13, 2021 8:54 pm

Agree with the comments of highest spots of rock and potentially snow, though if heavily corniced, then the highest safest point and true high points can and do change.
Look at this shot of Mt St Helens. Clearly the "summit" is no longer even there being blown off in 1980, so the high point is the tip of the highest point on the crater, which even then is subject to change due to the dangerous cornice on top.
Once I got to to the top, I got maybe 10-15ft from the edge and that's as far as I was comfortable as the rest was above air. Note the spot in the pic with the climber on top is not the high point, which is behind me, but it's the same idea.
Attachments
MSH_DSC_4251xs-.jpg
MSH_DSC_4251xs-.jpg (117.52 KiB) Viewed 486 times
User avatar
Carl_Healy
Posts: 136
Joined: 7/29/2020
14ers: 17 2
13ers: 11 1 1
Contact:

Re: What Is a Summit? [NY Times]

Post by Carl_Healy » Thu May 13, 2021 9:04 pm

RhodoRose wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 1:28 am
"Engineers are just more practical and call anything between 0.5 and 1.49 equal to 1"

Electrical Engineers: 5 significant digits
Mechanical Engineers: 3 significant digits
Civil Engineers: "What's a significant digit?" :lol:
I mean... if you talk to Civil Engineers involved in soil mechanics and foundation engineering a factor of safety of 5 or more isn't uncommon...

(I say from academics not practice)
If you can't run, you walk
If you can't walk, you crawl
If you can't crawl, you find someone to carry you
User avatar
Scott P
Posts: 8374
Joined: 5/4/2005
14ers: 51 16
13ers: 41 13
Trip Reports (16)
Contact:

Re: What Is a Summit? [NY Times]

Post by Scott P » Thu May 13, 2021 10:51 pm

Carl_Healy wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 9:04 pm
RhodoRose wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 1:28 am
"Engineers are just more practical and call anything between 0.5 and 1.49 equal to 1"

Electrical Engineers: 5 significant digits
Mechanical Engineers: 3 significant digits
Civil Engineers: "What's a significant digit?" :lol:
I mean... if you talk to Civil Engineers involved in soil mechanics and foundation engineering a factor of safety of 5 or more isn't uncommon...

(I say from academics not practice)
True, but that has nothing to do with significant figures.

Funny you mention soild mechanics since every soil mechanics test I have seen breaks the significant figures rules. For example, when you perform a sieve analysis test, the first column of calcs (percent retained) is to be rounded to the nearest tenth. Then the second column (percent retained) is subtracted from 100 and rounded to the nearest whole number, with the exception of the last row #200 screen) which is rounded to the tenth like the first column (as mentioned all other calcs in the second column are rounded to the nearest whole number).

I haven't seen any soil mechanics tests or calcs that follow significant figures rules. I think the "what's that" definitely applies to civil engineering and significant figures.
I'm slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
User avatar
Carl_Healy
Posts: 136
Joined: 7/29/2020
14ers: 17 2
13ers: 11 1 1
Contact:

Re: What Is a Summit? [NY Times]

Post by Carl_Healy » Fri May 14, 2021 9:20 am

Scott P wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 10:51 pm
Carl_Healy wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 9:04 pm
RhodoRose wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 1:28 am
"Engineers are just more practical and call anything between 0.5 and 1.49 equal to 1"

Electrical Engineers: 5 significant digits
Mechanical Engineers: 3 significant digits
Civil Engineers: "What's a significant digit?" :lol:
I mean... if you talk to Civil Engineers involved in soil mechanics and foundation engineering a factor of safety of 5 or more isn't uncommon...

(I say from academics not practice)
True, but that has nothing to do with significant figures.

Funny you mention soild mechanics since every soil mechanics test I have seen breaks the significant figures rules. For example, when you perform a sieve analysis test, the first column of calcs (percent retained) is to be rounded to the nearest tenth. Then the second column (percent retained) is subtracted from 100 and rounded to the nearest whole number, with the exception of the last row #200 screen) which is rounded to the tenth like the first column (as mentioned all other calcs in the second column are rounded to the nearest whole number).

I haven't seen any soil mechanics tests or calcs that follow significant figures rules. I think the "what's that" definitely applies to civil engineering and significant figures.
Yeah I was more bringing that up to point out the "cultural differences" between different types of engineering, not really talking about sig figs. I guess I could have made that clearer if I pointed out what an ME may consider an acceptable factor of safety etc.
If you can't run, you walk
If you can't walk, you crawl
If you can't crawl, you find someone to carry you
User avatar
Dave B
Posts: 2028
Joined: 6/14/2010
14ers: List not added
Trip Reports (9)

Re: What Is a Summit? [NY Times]

Post by Dave B » Fri May 14, 2021 9:37 am

Engineers be like: "give me some data collected by someone else and a manual of equations developed by someone else, and I'll give you *an* answer to any problem."

I'm kidding, I love engineers. One of my best friends is an engineer, he gets lost a lot.
User avatar
Scott P
Posts: 8374
Joined: 5/4/2005
14ers: 51 16
13ers: 41 13
Trip Reports (16)
Contact:

Re: What Is a Summit? [NY Times]

Post by Scott P » Fri May 14, 2021 9:38 am

Dave B wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 9:37 am
Engineers be like: "give me some data collected by someone else and a manual of equations developed by someone else, and I'll give you *an* answer to any problem."
But only if there is a computer program or spreadsheet to help.
I'm slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
User avatar
Carl_Healy
Posts: 136
Joined: 7/29/2020
14ers: 17 2
13ers: 11 1 1
Contact:

Re: What Is a Summit? [NY Times]

Post by Carl_Healy » Fri May 14, 2021 10:24 am

Scott P wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 9:38 am
Dave B wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 9:37 am
Engineers be like: "give me some data collected by someone else and a manual of equations developed by someone else, and I'll give you *an* answer to any problem."
But only if there is a computer program or spreadsheet to help.
"Engineering is the art of modelling materials we do not wholly understand, into shapes we cannot precisely analyse so as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess, in such a way that the public has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance."
Dr. AR Dykes
If you can't run, you walk
If you can't walk, you crawl
If you can't crawl, you find someone to carry you
Post Reply