What should I do this weekend?

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.

Which should I climb?

Mount Peale (I'm guessing the south couloir is in)
55%
Mount Fletcher (should be good snow climbing conditions)
45%

Total votes: 11
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

What should I do this weekend?

Post by Scott P »

Well dangit, I'm having a hard time deciding.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
greenonion
14ers: 50  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Re: What should I do this weekend?

Post by greenonion »

Come hike Mt Olympus in SLC with me today! 4200 vert in ~ 7 miles. Good workout!
Bombay2Boulder
14ers: 56  3 
13ers: 269 1
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Bombay2Boulder »

If you do end up doing Peale please let me know the conditions! It's on my list.
Scott P
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

greenonion wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 8:55 am Come hike Mt Olympus in SLC with me today! 4200 vert in ~ 7 miles. Good workout!
Indeed it is. I have done it many times, but not for a while. I would bet that the north face routes are in perfect condition now as well.
Last edited by Scott P on Fri May 14, 2021 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Scott P
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Bombay2Boulder wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 9:07 am If you do end up doing Peale please let me know the conditions! It's on my list.
If you are interested in joining you are welcome to.
Scott P
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

If anyone is curious we ended up doing Peale.
greenonion
Trip Reports (0)

Post by greenonion »

Scott P wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 7:17 pm If anyone is curious we ended up doing Peale.
Is that the Mt Peale of the La Sals near Moab? Nice hike if so. I'm interested in doing an out and back of the La Sal peaks to the north of Peale someday. I think a couple are Tomasaki and Waas??
Chicago Transplant
14ers: 58  12  24 
13ers: 697 39 34
Trip Reports (66)

Post by Chicago Transplant »

greenonion wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 8:57 am
Scott P wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 7:17 pm If anyone is curious we ended up doing Peale.
Is that the Mt Peale of the La Sals near Moab? Nice hike if so. I'm interested in doing an out and back of the La Sal peaks to the north of Peale someday. I think a couple are Tomasaki and Waas??
Out and back from Peale would most likely be Mellenthin. The Wass/Tomaski ares is north of Geyser Pass and are not practical to combine with Peale. I did Peale and Tuk together from LaSal Pass as a loop, Tomasaki with some 11ers from Geyser Pass (Mellenthin can be done from Geyser as well) and did the Waas group from Miners Basin.
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day
greenonion
Trip Reports (0)

Post by greenonion »

Chicago Transplant wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 10:05 am
greenonion wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 8:57 am
Out and back from Peale would most likely be Mellenthin. The Wass/Tomaski ares is north of Geyser Pass and are not practical to combine with Peale. I did Peale and Tuk together from LaSal Pass as a loop, Tomasaki with some 11ers from Geyser Pass (Mellenthin can be done from Geyser as well) and did the Waas group from Miners Basin.
I’m interested in that northern group of peaks in the La Sals. Not linking them up with Peale and buddy peaks in the south. I think it’s geyser pass that accesses the northern ones. Anyway…
Scott P
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

greenonion wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 9:04 pm I’m interested in that northern group of peaks in the La Sals. Not linking them up with Peale and buddy peaks in the south. I think it’s geyser pass that accesses the northern ones. Anyway…
Geyser Pass accesses the central peaks in the La Sals, but you can reach the northern ones such as Waas if you want to do a long ridge traverse.

Mellenthin, Haystack, Manns, and Tomasaki are the ones usually accessed from Geyser Pass. Manns is close enough to the center of the range that you can visit via Warner Lake or Beaver Basin without a great distance on the approach.

Waas, La Sal, Castle, and Pilot are usually reached from Miners Basin or Beaver Basin. It would be a long hike/traverse to get to these ones from Geyser Pass, but would be a nice trip.
Bale
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Bale »

I met a guy on Peale once who said he knew a Tom Asaki, lol.
Hey Scott, I would’ve joined you but was busy over the weekend. Btw, a nice ridge run is Manns, Tomasaki, and Deep Creek Peak (Jose Knighton's name?) via Burro Pass.
The earth, like the sun, like the air, belongs to everyone - and to no one. - Edward Abbey
Bombay2Boulder
14ers: 56  3 
13ers: 269 1
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Bombay2Boulder »

Sorry Scott, had some friends over so couldn't make last weekend work. How were the conditions on Peale?