Climate Change

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.

Climate change:

is happening and is a direct consequence of industrialism and overpopulation over the last 200yrs and if we do nothing, humans are going to live in dramatically different, inhospitable conditions over the next 200yrs, think Mad Max
69%
is happening and is just a natural cycle of the earth and environment, will happen again once we are long gone, and possibly not much we can do about it except maybe at the margin
16%
is likely happening and we just currently lack sufficient information over a long enough period to draw an accurate conclusion of the extent that humans have possibly impacted its potential acceleration
12%
is Hogwash, what climate change? It's the media and politicians trying to scare us or sway votes and public opinion. EVs? I don't even like charging my phone.
3%

Total votes: 116
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Re: Climate Change

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

lordhelmut wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:55 pm I just love POW stickers on the bumpers of massive sub 15mpg trucks on Vail Pass hauling sleds.
There’s a diesel truck I’ve seen parked at the Cottonwood Pass snowmobiling entry that has huge letters across the back - “BLACK SMOKE MATTERS.” This is what we’re dealing with.
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
SchralpTheGnar
14ers: 51  49  1 
13ers: 38 30
Trip Reports (22)

Post by SchralpTheGnar »

Finally those capitalist pigs will pay for their crimes, eh comrade?
timisimaginary
14ers: 3 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (2)

Post by timisimaginary »

BillMiddlebrook wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:52 pm Well, that failure was in huge part due to the orange CoronaVillain and his minions telling his gullible followers to ignore it.
as much as i'd like to agree, the anti-vaxxers and the climate change deniers and their kind have been around since long before T**** took power.
T**** was like a zit, he was big and red and angry and got all the attention, but the pus underneath that formed him was around long before he was created.

p.s. you brought him up, now if this thread gets locked, it's YOUR fault.
BillMiddlebrook wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:52 pm As a society we can do great things if we have good leadership and use our brains.
good leadership AND using our brains? yep, we're doomed.
"The decay and disintegration of this culture is astonishingly amusing if you're emotionally detached from it." - George Carlin
Bale
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Bale »

Bill, I feel your frustration. I live in UT, where there is no amount of logic, reason, or evidence to get folks to see through the blinders/ veil. I worked in a place where guys would walk right by a recycling bin to throw cans in the trash so they wouldn’t be labeled a “treehugger”. Small example I know, but it goes all the way to the top. We are now at the point where people are voting against their own clean air and water FFS.
The earth, like the sun, like the air, belongs to everyone - and to no one. - Edward Abbey
ker0uac
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ker0uac »

I think cherrypicking examples of radicalism from either side of the aisle to characterize an entire portion of the population is intellectually dishonest, even though it is the tactic being used by everyone in power at the moment. Around San Francisco, Portland and Seattle, you will find hordes of liberals chanting defund the police. In Seattle, the city council voted on whether to decriminalize crime that esteems from poverty, i.e., you would be allowed to commit theft if you are hungry. Given that the country is roughly half democrat and half republican, is it fair to say that half of the country has given up on protecting citizens from crime?

If you are really interested in finding out where the country stands on issues, maybe google polls and learn about the stats? I don't think the stickers one sees on a truck or the behavior you witness on the street are truly representative of the general population. But I'll help:

"97% of Democrats and 60% of Republicans believe that global warming will be a very or somewhat serious problem for the world if nothing is done to address it"
"94% of Democrats and 69% of Republicans believe that if warming has been happening, human actions have been responsible for causing it."
"Majorities of Democrats and of Republicans endorse action to deal with global warming. Democrats are almost unanimously (97–98%) in favor of action by the US government, governments in other countries, US businesses, and average people. Sizable majorities (63–68%) of Republicans expressed these preferences as well."

Now, if you think the US is unable to fight climate change because of the 30% of republicans who don't think it's real, then you are too naive for this conversation.

https://www.rff.org/publications/report ... an-divide/
Those who travel to mountain-tops are half in love with themselves and half in love with oblivion
ker0uac
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ker0uac »

Let's talk California, where 11% of Americans live, where most of the wealthy lives, and where Democrats have a tight grip on all levels of government. California is the second highest emitter of CO2. Los Angeles has the largest urban oil field in the United States, smacked right in the middle of the city, a total eye sore. California has the worst and largest wildfires in the country. California is in a quasi-permanent state of drought. Also, California is on its the 5th largest economy in the world. But yea, the climate change deniers rednecks rolling coal are the ones keeping the country from addressing climate change.
Those who travel to mountain-tops are half in love with themselves and half in love with oblivion
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

ker0uac wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:09 pm Let's talk California, where 11% of Americans live, where most of the wealthy lives, and where Democrats have a tight grip on all levels of government. California is the second highest emitter of CO2. Los Angeles has the largest urban oil field in the United States, smacked right in the middle of the city, a total eye sore. California has the worst and largest wildfires in the country. California is in a quasi-permanent state of drought. Also, California is on its the 5th largest economy in the world. But yea, the climate change deniers rednecks rolling coal are the ones keeping the country from addressing climate change.
Per capita emissions:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of ... _emissions

California has one of the lowest.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
prairiechicken
Trip Reports (0)

Post by prairiechicken »

ker0uac wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:09 pm Let's talk California, where 11% of Americans live, where most of the wealthy lives, and where Democrats have a tight grip on all levels of government. California is the second highest emitter of CO2. Los Angeles has the largest urban oil field in the United States, smacked right in the middle of the city, a total eye sore. California has the worst and largest wildfires in the country. California is in a quasi-permanent state of drought. Also, California is on its the 5th largest economy in the world. But yea, the climate change deniers rednecks rolling coal are the ones keeping the country from addressing climate change.
It's very noteworthy that CA only has the second highest emissions when it has the highest population by a substantial margin.
Also, it's hard not to blame the side that literally denies that climate change exists, when all of the science definitively says that it does.
cottonmountaineering
14ers: 58  7  18 
13ers: 180 39 31
Trip Reports (1)

Post by cottonmountaineering »

ker0uac wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:46 pm I think cherrypicking examples of radicalism from either side of the aisle to characterize an entire portion of the population is intellectually dishonest, even though it is the tactic being used by everyone in power at the moment. Around San Francisco, Portland and Seattle, you will find hordes of liberals chanting defund the police. In Seattle, the city council voted on whether to decriminalize crime that esteems from poverty, i.e., you would be allowed to commit theft if you are hungry. Given that the country is roughly half democrat and half republican, is it fair to say that half of the country has given up on protecting citizens from crime?

If you are really interested in finding out where the country stands on issues, maybe google polls and learn about the stats? I don't think the stickers one sees on a truck or the behavior you witness on the street are truly representative of the general population. But I'll help:

"97% of Democrats and 60% of Republicans believe that global warming will be a very or somewhat serious problem for the world if nothing is done to address it"
"94% of Democrats and 69% of Republicans believe that if warming has been happening, human actions have been responsible for causing it."
"Majorities of Democrats and of Republicans endorse action to deal with global warming. Democrats are almost unanimously (97–98%) in favor of action by the US government, governments in other countries, US businesses, and average people. Sizable majorities (63–68%) of Republicans expressed these preferences as well."

Now, if you think the US is unable to fight climate change because of the 30% of republicans who don't think it's real, then you are too naive for this conversation.

https://www.rff.org/publications/report ... an-divide/
the senate requires 60 votes to get anything substantial done

wyoming has equal say as california in the senate

this might be a good read for you as well, just an example of how first past the post voting is broken

https://www.npr.org/2016/11/02/50011224 ... pular-vote
Brian Thomas
14ers: 58  9 
13ers: 130
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Brian Thomas »

You're all doomed and there is nothing that can save you.

Please keep waiving inspections and bidding $100K over asking price in Denver. And later realize that buying a 70 year old shack in Denver and waiving inspection wasn't such a good idea. Oh well, it's only Monopoly money when you're gambling with other people's money.
"I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you to be just like them" - Bob Dylan
Bale
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Bale »

Cherry picking, lol. I have heard so much fuking cherry picking from the right, and worse from the right that insists they are “independent” (those are some real hypocrites there), it would make your head spin. Look, bottom line is that at least one side admits GW is happening, neither side is doing anything substantial to fix it, and we are screwed. Sadly, the humans on this earth least responsible will be affected the earliest and worst. Enjoy the ride!
The earth, like the sun, like the air, belongs to everyone - and to no one. - Edward Abbey
Bale
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Bale »

cottonmountaineering wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:52 pm
the senate requires 60 votes to get anything substantial done

wyoming has equal say as california in the senate

this might be a good read for you as well, just an example of how first past the post voting is broken

https://www.npr.org/2016/11/02/50011224 ... pular-vote
Yeah, in UT my vote means jack sh!t. Gotta love the EC!