Extended Stay Vehicles

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
greenonion
14ers: 50  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Extended Stay Vehicles

Post by greenonion »

I probably missed it earlier but can I get a pause and an overview summary on intent here? Am not disparaging anything. Just wondering if this is mostly for recreation/THs/temporary, or more permanent lifestyle. And if more permanent, what’s the impetus? Have my ideas but would appreciate yall’s perspective. Again sorry if I missed it but it does seem like some intend it for THIS and some for THAT.
Iguru
14ers: 18 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Iguru »

My next vehicle is probably gonna be the Toyota 4Runner. Need to be able to stretch out in back, and sleep comfortably with the dog.
All non immediate need gear goes up top in cargo box. 4WD trailhead access is paramount.
It really is just a dream to have a tacozilla, as I really don't plan on living permanently in a vehicle, just for a few weeks each summer.
So far, my Jeep Cherokee has served this purpose, quite well I must add, but at over 225,000 miles, reliability is a concern. Don't really feel comfortable taking it so far from home these days.
I gotta get me an Avatar.
CheapCigarMan
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 108 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by CheapCigarMan »

JQDivide wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 3:39 pm
CheapCigarMan wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:27 pm
JQDivide wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 3:28 pm We bought a 2008 2500 suburban this year. Plan to take out the back seats and put in a built-in bed frame/ storage area.
We've spent a lot of nights in our 2002 burb over the years, large and comfortable, but never converted it.

SubOverland out of Idaho has a lot videos on what they do, pretty simple stuff.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZw7A1 ... Y5mbNJFBAw

CigarMan, you're big enough you'll want at least a Tahoe, Burb or van.
SubOverland. Are you serious? There has to be a catch. The most expensive model for $16,500 includes vehicle, the "san" has everything found in the BASE, plus our custom wood work and off-grid electrical setup.
The catch is they are older model Suburbans. But, Burbs have a pretty solid reliability (our 2002 has 320K on it).
If nothing else, it just provides some ideas.

Solar panels and power station, like a Jackery, can provide all the power you need, including for a fridge.
There are several shower/hot water options out there, many just hook up to a propane tank. But you'll still be outside on cold days.
Toilet options, numerous, including setups that just have a wag bag.

Lots of "how-to" videos on YouTube to set up vehicles for overlanding, which is similar to what you are thinking, just add a work space.
Understood JQ and received with appreciation.
I should be on a mountain
CheapCigarMan
Trip Reports (1)

Post by CheapCigarMan »

greenonion wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 5:18 pm I probably missed it earlier but can I get a pause and an overview summary on intent here? Am not disparaging anything. Just wondering if this is mostly for recreation/THs/temporary, or more permanent lifestyle. And if more permanent, what’s the impetus? Have my ideas but would appreciate yall’s perspective. Again sorry if I missed it but it does seem like some intend it for THIS and some for THAT.
I would agree with you on that. We all have different intentions when it comes to this topic. Everything from weekends only to vacations to just summers to living in one "indefinitely."
My curiosity is around the ability to access more difficult 4x4 TH's and terrain and the possibility of living (home and work) out of one for an extended period of time. Not just for vacations (which I never have) or weekends but year round.

I think, at least in my mind, what sets this apart is the 4x4 aspect and the affordability. I've sat and cringed as I've seen some medium size RV's trying to make their way through the backcountry. I'm sure you've seen the same :) To quote mtree, "Never underestimate a fool and his vehicle." Lol
These vehicles also seem to be much more affordable than the traditional RV.
I guess I could just get an RV but I think there are cheaper options and just the thought of taking an RV out for an off road adventure :wft: Probably not the best idea :)
greenonion
14ers: 50  1 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by greenonion »

CheapCigarMan wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:58 am
greenonion wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 5:18 pm I probably missed it earlier but can I get a pause and an overview summary on intent here? Am not disparaging anything. Just wondering if this is mostly for recreation/THs/temporary, or more permanent lifestyle. And if more permanent, what’s the impetus? Have my ideas but would appreciate yall’s perspective. Again sorry if I missed it but it does seem like some intend it for THIS and some for THAT.
I would agree with you on that. We all have different intentions when it comes to this topic. Everything from weekends only to vacations to just summers to living in one "indefinitely."
My curiosity is around the ability to access more difficult 4x4 TH's and terrain and the possibility of living (home and work) out of one for an extended period of time. Not just for vacations (which I never have) or weekends but year round.

I think, at least in my mind, what sets this apart is the 4x4 aspect and the affordability. I've sat and cringed as I've seen some medium size RV's trying to make their way through the backcountry. I'm sure you've seen the same :) To quote mtree, "Never underestimate a fool and his vehicle." Lol
These vehicles also seem to be much more affordable than the traditional RV.
I guess I could just get an RV but I think there are cheaper options and just the thought of taking an RV out for an off road adventure :wft: Probably not the best idea :)
Thanks cigar man. After I posted that question I thought there's certainly a hybrid of intentions/needs/wants. Hope you find something that works well for you. I find this topic quite intriguing.
CheapCigarMan
Trip Reports (1)

Post by CheapCigarMan »

Jakomait wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 1:39 pm
CheapCigarMan wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 11:22 am Several of you have updated / modified trucks, campers, vans, or vehicles designed to stay in the mountains or anywhere away from your house for extended periods.
Other?
You need to head over to https://expeditionportal.com/ and prepare to be overwhelmed. The forum threads as as vast as the internet itself!
US Camper Van Conversion Companies

https://www.parkedinparadise.com/camper ... companies/