Superstitions

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
blazintoes
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 327 3 73
Trip Reports (16)

Superstitions

Post by blazintoes »

I always put my left sock, left boot and left gaiter on before my right because I believe it gives good luck before I climb. Also, I always have my little stuffed owl Sebastian with me because he's my good luck charm.

What are your superstitions or good luck charms that quell your fears of the unknown?
GregMiller
14ers: 37  4  1 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (5)

Re: Superstitions

Post by GregMiller »

Used to always carry a small bottle of tequila, to pour out a bit on the summit for the mountain gods. Funnily enough, stopped doing that a while back, and have had generally poorer luck in the mountains, might have to start that up again.
Still Here
been scared and battered. My hopes the wind done scattered. Snow has friz me, Sun has baked me,
Looks like between 'em they done Tried to make me
Stop laughin', stop lovin', stop livin'-- But I don't care! I'm still here!
Langston Hughes
nmjameswilson
14ers: 58 
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nmjameswilson »

None for climbing but a lot while watching football! LOL
FireOnTheMountain
14ers: 53  1  23 
13ers: 269 29
Trip Reports (23)

Post by FireOnTheMountain »

Religiously ask "how's your knot?" before anyone sets off on a climb. Not sure if that qualifies though.
Everyday is a G r A t E f U L Day here in the ID...?
TomPierce
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TomPierce »

Not really a superstition, but if a knot (harness figure-8) doesn't feel right I completely untie it and do it again from scratch. It might be too long/short a tail, messy angles, whatever. It's rare, pretty sure I could tie that knot with my eyes closed, but it has to feel right in an intangible sense before I launch. And no fiddling to make it right, I untie and do it over from scratch. Rare that I do so, but I have more than once.

-Tom
glenmiz
14ers: 58 
13ers: 121 1 3
Trip Reports (4)

Post by glenmiz »

During my quest to finish the 58 14ers, I would mentally refrain from "counting" a mountain until I was back safe at the car. I also insisted that my kids who accompanied me on many of them also not talk about numbers until we were back at the car.
Aim high to end high
benmangelsdorf
14ers: 38  6 
13ers: 29 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by benmangelsdorf »

glenmiz wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:47 am During my quest to finish the 58 14ers, I would mentally refrain from "counting" a mountain until I was back safe at the car. I also insisted that my kids who accompanied me on many of them also not talk about numbers until we were back at the car.
I do this too. I also don't count my trip as a "success" until my car is parked back at my house.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Dang. I clicked on the thread hoping to see a discussion about some cool desert mountains in Arizona. 😉

Anyway, I have no superstitions. If you ever see me doing something weird in the mountains, that's just how I am rather than a superstition
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
hokiehead
14ers: 49  2  1 
13ers: 48
Trip Reports (5)

Post by hokiehead »

none. I believe it's bad luck to be superstitious.
Insta: hokiehead
Andrew Russell
14ers: 54 
13ers: 17
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Andrew Russell »

Scott P wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:22 am Dang. I clicked on the thread hoping to see a discussion about some cool desert mountains in Arizona. 😉

I was also hoping for this.
@andysoutdooradventures
seano
14ers: 56 
13ers: 218
Trip Reports (3)

Post by seano »

Andrew Russell wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:46 am
Scott P wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:22 am Dang. I clicked on the thread hoping to see a discussion about some cool desert mountains in Arizona. 😉

I was also hoping for this.
It's not too late to rescue the thread!
Weavers Needle
Weavers Needle
weavers05.jpg (216.51 KiB) Viewed 871 times
Miners Needle
Miners Needle
miners07.jpg (262.53 KiB) Viewed 871 times
Barnold41
14ers: 15 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (0)