Shootout at the RMNP Corral

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Matt
14ers: 58 
13ers: 208
Trip Reports (32)

Shootout at the RMNP Corral

Post by Matt »

So, I ran across this on Reddit:
Rocky Mountain National Park entrance closed after ranger, driver exchange gunfire The shooting happened at approximately 10:20 a.m.
Rocky Mountain National Park officials closed one of the park’s entrances Wednesday after a ranger and a driver exchanged gunfire nearby.
A park ranger made a traffic stop at approximately 10:20 a.m. near the park’s Fall River Entrance on U.S. 34 and the driver and the ranger exchanged gunfire, Colorado State Patrol spokesman Trooper Josh Lewis said. Lewis did not know what prompted the stop or the gunfire.
Both the driver and the ranger were transported to the hospital but Lewis did not know the extent of their injuries
Park officials after the shooting closed the Fall River Entrance and the stretch of U.S. 34 between the entrance and Deer Ridge Junction.
Rocky Mountain National Park spokeswoman Kyle Patterson declined to provide more information, citing an ongoing investigation.
Since it's a slow day around the forum, I thought I'd bring up guns (and ask if anyone else knows more than the Daily Camera about this).
Any spirited discussion regarding firearms and/or 411 on this incident would be appreciated.
We are all greater artists than we realize -FWN
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -HDT
Peak List
planet54
14ers: 58 
13ers: 20
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Shootout at the RMNP Corral

Post by planet54 »

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H D Thoreau
Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Dave B »

"Vehicular pursuit earlier in the day"

RMNP is the first place I'd go after evading the coppers too, mneh. Sounds like some bad hombres, glad the ranger is OK, glad to see body armor being used for something other than by some LARPing jagoffs at a school district meeting.

Here's another update I saw on my local Facebook boomers complaining about mountain bikers/trail conditions page.
Make wilderness less accessible.
pw
14ers: 45 
13ers: 70
Trip Reports (1)

Post by pw »

i was in the park today and 2 Range SUVs passed me at about 60 mph, on a curvy road, then 2 more, all 4 were really flying, then a 5th was just entering the park as I was leaving, I wondered what was going on.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/pwahl/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
76dorihe
14ers: 45 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (1)

Post by 76dorihe »

Matt wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 2:56 pm So, I ran across this on Reddit:
Rocky Mountain National Park entrance closed after ranger, driver exchange gunfire The shooting happened at approximately 10:20 a.m.
Rocky Mountain National Park officials closed one of the park’s entrances Wednesday after a ranger and a driver exchanged gunfire nearby.
A park ranger made a traffic stop at approximately 10:20 a.m. near the park’s Fall River Entrance on U.S. 34 and the driver and the ranger exchanged gunfire, Colorado State Patrol spokesman Trooper Josh Lewis said. Lewis did not know what prompted the stop or the gunfire.
Both the driver and the ranger were transported to the hospital but Lewis did not know the extent of their injuries
Park officials after the shooting closed the Fall River Entrance and the stretch of U.S. 34 between the entrance and Deer Ridge Junction.
Rocky Mountain National Park spokeswoman Kyle Patterson declined to provide more information, citing an ongoing investigation.
Since it's a slow day around the forum, I thought I'd bring up guns (and ask if anyone else knows more than the Daily Camera about this).
Any spirited discussion regarding firearms and/or 411 on this incident would be appreciated.
I checked the Fall River Entrance webcam but there wasn’t any blood, bodies or tire marks other than snowplow scrapings.