2022 Goals

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
seano
14ers: 56 
13ers: 218
Trip Reports (3)

Re: 2022 Goals

Post by seano »

@kman -- Wow! I haven'd done either Bass, but those pics of the cabin and register really make me want to visit the north. Sounds like a perfect target for later this Spring when the roads are still closed to cars. I don't recognize the Aussie's name, but he gets mad respect.

@TomPierce -- Thanks for pointing me to those Klymit rafts. They're actually pretty affordable and light, and having one would open up some new options for me.
Monster5
14ers: 58  31 
13ers: 289 37
Trip Reports (27)

Post by Monster5 »

1. Beckey Chouinard, S Howser and Homage to the Spider, Louise. I've had bad weather luck in the past, but that led to all sorts of cool climbs so not too bummed.
2. North Face, Mt Kenya, perhaps next winter pending if things open up.
3. Beaverhead Endurance 100K in Idaho that we're combining with Elephant's Perch, probably Mountaineer's Route and maybe Warbonnett
4. Grand Traverse, Tetons. Hopefully in a day. Weather and partners seem a crux.
5. Toying with another trip into the Denali range, but undecided objectives and style.
6. Sierra - perhaps Bear Creek Spire, Mithril or Fishhook on Russell, Temple Crag
7. Timewave Zero was on the list but we did it a couple weeks back. A bit crowded.
8. Dolomites. I had a trip all planned a couple summers ago right as COVID hit. I'd place this higher than a Sierra trip if traveling out there seems reasonable.
"The road to alpine climbing is pocked and poorly marked, ending at an unexpectedly closed gate 5 miles from the trailhead." - MP user Beckerich
FireOnTheMountain
14ers: 53  1  23 
13ers: 269 29
Trip Reports (23)

Post by FireOnTheMountain »

Monster5 wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:02 pm....we're combining with Elephant's Perch, probably Mountaineer's Route and maybe Warbonnett
And skip some immaculate 5.10 (plus minus) granite climbing in the Direct Beckey, Fine Line, Myopia or sunshine book?! Oh the humanity
Everyday is a G r A t E f U L Day here in the ID...?
Monster5
14ers: 58  31 
13ers: 289 37
Trip Reports (27)

Post by Monster5 »

^It's all the same in Iowa
"The road to alpine climbing is pocked and poorly marked, ending at an unexpectedly closed gate 5 miles from the trailhead." - MP user Beckerich
kman
Trip Reports (0)

Post by kman »

seano wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:58 pm @kman -- Wow! I haven'd done either Bass, but those pics of the cabin and register really make me want to visit the north. Sounds like a perfect target for later this Spring when the roads are still closed to cars. I don't recognize the Aussie's name, but he gets mad respect.
Yeah, it’s a whole different world on the north side. I definitely recommend it. A lot of great trails and routes originate from the Kaibab Plateau (including the North Bass Trail). The Plateau is a timbered island surrounded by the Grand Canyon on one side and the desert on the other. Elevations can reach 9,000 feet near Saddle Mountain where you can find the Nankoweap Trail. Snow and tree windthrow (blowdown) can be an issue on the Forest Service dirt roads up there from October through early June, so keep that in mind. These are the roads that take you to all the trails and routes along the rim. Definitely check with the Forest Service for current forest road conditions before venturing out there. Also, because there are a spiderweb of Forest Service dirt roads out there, I would highly recommend getting yourself a copy of the map below which you can send away for or get at the North Kaibab Ranger District building at Jacob Lake up on the Plateau.
Attachments
D27D7136-EFA3-4D2B-8680-B3EF9323A5AC.jpeg
D27D7136-EFA3-4D2B-8680-B3EF9323A5AC.jpeg (299.77 KiB) Viewed 2093 times
FireOnTheMountain
14ers: 53  1  23 
13ers: 269 29
Trip Reports (23)

Post by FireOnTheMountain »

Monster5 wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:35 pm ^It's all the same in Iowa
Indeed it is. Although the variety of potato protruding out of the cracks does change based on where you at.
Everyday is a G r A t E f U L Day here in the ID...?
SchralpTheGnar
14ers: 51  49  1 
13ers: 38 30
Trip Reports (22)

Post by SchralpTheGnar »

Ski again- done
Hiking_TheRockies
14ers: 22  1 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Hiking_TheRockies »

Hoping to climb a number of new 14ers, mainly in the sawatch range. I am also hoping to climb a difficult 13er or 14er in winter/snow, something that I have never done.
I want to do at least one backpacking trip because I have never backpacked before. I also would like to do more than 200 miles on peaks and trails this year.
The thing I am most excited for is hopefully attempting Sawtooth Ridge!
Hiking when possible
yaktoleft13
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 262 22
Trip Reports (21)

Post by yaktoleft13 »

I'm late to this, but wanted to get mine written down. Bit off more than I could chew last year, so I guess I'll change my mindset and try to chip away at things

- at least 1 summit per month

- at least 10 crag days

- obtain a full trad rack

- at least 30 new 13ers

- at least 2 fifth class alpine routes

- double digit peaks in a single push

- 1 new great traverse

- at least one Wemi trip

- a backpack into the Gores
Globetrotter_87
14ers: 58 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Globetrotter_87 »

I'm keeping my hiking & climbing goals simple this year:
Finish my last 7 14ers (Crestone Peak, Crestone Needle, Ellingwood, Windom, Maroon, Snowmass, and Capitol).
Haven't decided for sure which one to finish on... likely Capitol, but perhaps another.
Dan_Suitor
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 90
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Dan_Suitor »

Keeping it simple, finish the Centennials. Only 9 to go with 8 of them in the San Juans, it’s doable, but will take effort.
Century Bound, eventually.
dan0rama
14ers: 26  5 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by dan0rama »

Hey all, first time posting here, though have been a long time user of the site. I am training for Aconcagua in Dec and Rainier in May. If you are training for big objectives and are looking for a partner, send me a message. I'm coming off a couple of injuries last year, and currently working on aerobic conditioning with heavy loads.