Early Meltout

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
jibler
14ers: 13 
13ers: 35
Trip Reports (18)

Re: Early Meltout

Post by jibler »

ok now the 'new spot per month challenge' obsession is back with a vengeance

because i have chance to get to high country this weekend - that i may not get again this month.

and now based on the real time satellite data - maybe there's a fighting chance of getting up on something around mosquito pass?

can i cross these heavier squares of the snowtel report successfully?

this is becoming like a game of Qbert!!
Keep looking up - Jack Horkheimer
ECF55
14ers: 7 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (7)

Post by ECF55 »

Looks like winter is going to have one last hurrah.
Attachments
NWS-CO-Storm2.jpg
NWS-CO-Storm2.jpg (162.17 KiB) Viewed 2651 times
ClimbingFool
14ers: 58 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ClimbingFool »

Here's the way-too-early question of how this will impact my climbing plans for the first weekend in June. I'm coming from out of state and was going to take some newbies up Bierstadt and either Sherman or part of Decalibron. Any guesses what this will look like in a couple of weeks if we get 2-3 feet of snow this weekend in the high country?
Urban Snowshoer
14ers: 42  3  2 
13ers: 20 1 1
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Urban Snowshoer »

ClimbingFool wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 9:43 am Here's the way-too-early question of how this will impact my climbing plans for the first weekend in June. I'm coming from out of state and was going to take some newbies up Bierstadt and either Sherman or part of Decalibron. Any guesses what this will look like in a couple of weeks if we get 2-3 feet of snow this weekend in the high country?
The short answer is that it depends on what happens with the weather between this weekend and the dates of your intended climb.

Weather forecasts have gotten a lot more accurate 2-3 days out but a couple weeks out is a lot harder to accurately predict.
Last edited by Urban Snowshoer on Thu May 19, 2022 11:27 am, edited 4 times in total.
SkaredShtles
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkaredShtles »

ClimbingFool wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 9:43 am Here's the way-too-early question of how this will impact my climbing plans for the first weekend in June. I'm coming from out of state and was going to take some newbies up Bierstadt and either Sherman or part of Decalibron. Any guesses what this will look like in a couple of weeks if we get 2-3 feet of snow this weekend in the high country?
Hope for the best, but prepare for the worst.
Monte Meals
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Monte Meals »

https://www.aspentimes.com/magazines/as ... henomenon/

"Making sense of the dust on snow phenomenon ...
Most would agree the 2021-22 ski season was a good one. But, unfortunately,
it ended with multiple dust events.

As the spring progresses, the surface dust layer becomes more concentrated.
The darker surface absorbs even more solar radiation,
accelerating the rate of snowmelt."
bdwyer
13ers: 640
Trip Reports (0)

Post by bdwyer »

Reports are back to the 80s. Go guy. I was on Sniktau and Cupid yesterday on Loveland Pass, and there was nothing... It will melt out again fast. Bring spikes
Jorts
14ers: 58  4  2 
13ers: 102 11 5
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Jorts »

Snowpack bottoms out in SW Colorado

From the Durango Herald.

Some excerpts:

This year has been a contrast to 2002 and 2018 because snowpack was about average while the other two were poor snow years.

With a drier landscape, wildfires, particularly bigger fires, become more of a risk, making the monsoon season in July and August especially important.
Traveling light is the only way to fly.
IG: @colorado_invasive
Strava: Brent Herring
HikerGuy
13ers: 426 8
Trip Reports (9)

Post by HikerGuy »

Jorts wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 4:22 pm Snowpack bottoms out in SW Colorado

With a drier landscape, wildfires, particularly bigger fires, become more of a risk, making the monsoon season in July and August especially important.
And my niece just texted me this photo from Durango.
IMG_9483.jpg
IMG_9483.jpg (261.14 KiB) Viewed 1585 times