Favorite California Peaks?

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
aksean22
14ers: 58  45  13 
13ers: 132 7 1
Trip Reports (2)

Re: Favorite California Peaks?

Post by aksean22 »

davidsmetzler wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 12:07 pm Hi all--Thinking of going in (solo) to the Sierra via Shepherd Pass, climbing Williamson, then taking the JMT around to Whitney and exiting via Whitney Portal. Maybe doing Tyndall and/or Russell if time and energy allows. Questions:

(1) Is there a more direct Class 2+ way from Williamson Bowl to Whitney? It seems dubious but not impossible from the topo. I'm fine on 3rd class terrain but I do not want to do it with a full (backpacking) pack.
(1a) Even if there is such an off-trail route, would it be a lot more work than using the JMT, especially with a full pack? I suspect so but I'm still tempted by the idea of a high route.
(2) How hard would it be to get from Whitney Portal back to the Shepherd Pass TH? I see that there is a shuttle along US 395 but it would be nice to get a bit more beta.
(3) Am I crazy for thinking that I could get one of the short-notice permits for this trip, given that I want to do it at the end of July?

Thanks for any info!
Here is a photo from Williamson looking at your potential high route. For reference, that's Trojan Peak directly behind me and Mt Barnard is behind it. Looks doable but rather loose. Probably just as much if not more effort as backtracking to Shepherd pass and linking up with the JMT, but it would set you up nicely for Russell and the Mountaineers Route.
I don't know much about how you would get back to the TH. A shuttle or uber would be ideal. It's really hot and dry down in the valley and not something I would recommend walking through in the middle of the day. Permits shouldn't be to much of an issue for 1 person at Shepherds Pass, especially if you go midweek.
Cool idea for a linkup. Good luck if you go!
IMG_2840.jpg
IMG_2840.jpg (255.08 KiB) Viewed 806 times
Fletch Lives
14ers: 47  17 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Fletch Lives »

2) Getting up and down 395 is not a huge issue, but you will need to spend some money and make sure you get the shuttle confirmed. Uber/Lyft are not reliable options in those areas. Your issue will be getting down from Whitney portal to 395 and from Shepherds Pass TH back to 395... Feels like you might be overthinking this...

Also, didn't we go through this scenario a few years ago only for the OP to sober up and go elsewhere?
Uh. Well, I've sinned. I didn't take any Polaroids or anything. But, yeah, I've sinned.
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

Over the years, I've seen quite a few people successfully hitchhike to and from the Portal, fyi.