1st Solo Female 14er Finisher?

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
supranihilest
14ers: 58  42 
13ers: 709 1 8
Trip Reports (112)

Re: 1st Solo Female 14er Finisher?

Post by supranihilest »

blazintoes wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:59 pmI just hope she doesn’t teach Girl Scouts to glissade with a potato masher.
Where does one get World War I-era German hand grenades these days?
cougar
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 135 2
Trip Reports (10)

Post by cougar »

Many people have published controversial books, some full of lies, on a much larger scale. Controversy sells and gets noticed, even if it's not right. This thread will likely be the top Google hit on first woman to solo those peak lists. I haven't bothered to check Wikipedia or FKT.

Even Honest Abe Lincoln was born in a log cabin he built with his own hands.
http://www.listsofjohn.com/m/cougar

"If we don't change direction, we'll end up where we're going."
"Bushwhacking is like a box of chocolates - you never know what you're gonna get."
"Don't give up on your dreams, stay asleep"
osprey
14ers: 52  16 
13ers: 144 17
Trip Reports (9)

Post by osprey »

The discussion of how much beta and route description reminded me of the old cartoon by Sheridan:
BFB3787F-2879-492B-9CCA-796A23ED8C06.jpeg
BFB3787F-2879-492B-9CCA-796A23ED8C06.jpeg (395.47 KiB) Viewed 1698 times
"Rocks, mountains, snow and ice: what more do we desire?" - Reinhard Karl

“I breathed in the air on the summit and liked it better than the air below.”
jrbren_vt
14ers: 14 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (2)

Post by jrbren_vt »

Fwiw I went ahead and purchased the book. It’s only the price of 3 gallons of gas. Looking forward to reading it. I hope ww keeps the trip reports coming!
Best Regards
LetsGoMets
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 132 6
Trip Reports (2)

Post by LetsGoMets »

Y’all care way too much about this. Enjoy climbing peaks and maybe think about focusing your need to change the world energy on more important topics that the world is going through right now (women’s rights, guns etc) instead of a stupid book on Amazon.
TRIPLE D MAN
14ers: 44 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TRIPLE D MAN »

=D>
LetsGoMets wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:37 am Y’all care way too much about this. Enjoy climbing peaks and maybe think about focusing your need to change the world energy on more important topics that the world is going through right now (women’s rights, guns etc) instead of a stupid book on Amazon.
TRIPLE D MAN
14ers: 44 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TRIPLE D MAN »

:thumbup:
jrbren_vt wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 5:59 pm Fwiw I went ahead and purchased the book. It’s only the price of 3 gallons of gas. Looking forward to reading it. I hope ww keeps the trip reports coming!
timisimaginary
14ers: 3 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (2)

Post by timisimaginary »

just curious. what exactly does it mean to "solo" a hike on a CO 14er. is there any actual widely accepted definition for what qualifies as soloing on mountains, some of which are hiked by hundreds or thousands of people on any given day?
"The decay and disintegration of this culture is astonishingly amusing if you're emotionally detached from it." - George Carlin
ekalina
14ers: 20  1 
13ers: 44 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ekalina »

I like WW's trip reports and feel that she's contributed more than enough to justify some "self promotion" as others have put it. I get the sense that some find the very idea of anybody making a bent cent or two off their hiking to be repugnant, but I've never really understood that. Maybe hiking is a pretty ordinary activity in these parts, but there are tons of books and other reflections on ordinary experiences like parenting, working a desk job, getting to know oneself, etc and I don't see why hiking should be any different. There are people out there who want to learn what someone who's walked a thousand miles or so has to say about their experience. I bought several such books myself and greatly enjoyed them.

Perhaps WW is not the first woman to hike all of the 14ers alone, but I can't recall that dozens of pages of discussion yielded definitive evidence that someone did it before her. Whoever did it first should get recognition for it; if that's WW then I think it's worthy of celebrating. So many women are told from a young age that they can't do any number of things, alone or otherwise, because it's dangerous, or selfish, or it's not meant for them, stuff that boys or men rarely if ever hear. Whoever did it first had to push past all of that nonsense, and other women who followed had to contend with it too. So I see it as an important achievement, certainly personally meaningful and capable of inspiring others too.

My two cents.
pvnisher
Trip Reports (8)

Post by pvnisher »

LetsGoMets wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:37 am Y’all care way too much about this. Enjoy climbing peaks and maybe think about focusing your need to change the world energy on more important topics that the world is going through right now (women’s rights, guns etc) instead of a stupid book on Amazon.
Well, to be fair, maybe you meant "America", rather than "world".
terrysrunning
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 71
Trip Reports (0)

Post by terrysrunning »

Her many trip reports are good reading and could be useful and lots of people(myself included) enjoy them.
She gives a lot of time to girl scouts helping girls learn skills.
Whether or not sure was the first, it's very valuable for women to see that it's ok to go do these peaks alone. I consider myself pretty tough, and I've done most of my summits (58/58 and 77/100) by myself, but honestly I don't have any skills that make me safer out there than many of the women I know, but I don't see any women out there doing it by themselves. And I know they're often held back by not being able to find a partner and don't feel safe alone. So I am glad she exists and is doing what she is.
I doubt many, if any, of the people bashing her on this thread have done a fraction of the good she has, whether or not she's made missteps along the way.
My backlog of books to read is embarrassingly long right now (my nightstand is overflowing so starting to take over my dresser)so I'm not sure if I'll get hers, but I hope lots of people do.
"My life is dope, and I do dope s**t" -Kanye
LetsGoMets
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 132 6
Trip Reports (2)

Post by LetsGoMets »

terrysrunning wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 8:16 am Whether or not sure was the first, it's very valuable for women to see that it's ok to go do these peaks alone.

Well said and 100% correct.
pvnisher wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:58 pm
Well, to be fair, maybe you meant "America", rather than "world".
Sadly, you are right.