2022 Snow Observations

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Wentzl
14ers: 58  20 
13ers: 55
Trip Reports (49)

2022 Snow Observations

Post by Wentzl »

This is a very unscientific inquiry, just a request for casual observations.

I watch the northwest slope of Mt. Sneffels every year and this year it came snow free earlier than any time I can remember for the last 25 years. Since I have not had time to get into the back country too much this year, I wonder what others here have observed as concerns snow for this time of year.

My causal observation suggests that July 1 was typical for August 30 of a typical year. Anyone have other observations based on past experience to share?

This youtube guy is pretty good. Not spot on, but relevant, and fun to watch.

Shorter of Breath and One Day Closer . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZXKgl8turY

"Social Justice" = Injustice
yaktoleft13
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 262 22
Trip Reports (21)

Re: 2022 Snow Observations

Post by yaktoleft13 »

I'd say that in the ranges that got hit by the may storms, snow lingered about as long as it does on average. Feel like things became summer conditions around the second week of June. Makes sense that the San juans dried out sooner. In the middle and norther ranges, it's not quite as doomsday as it is down in the southwest
DArcyS
14ers: 58 
13ers: 544
Trip Reports (3)

Post by DArcyS »

Wentzl wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 9:42 pm I watch the northwest slope of Mt. Sneffels every year and this year it came snow free earlier than any time I can remember for the last 25 years.
Save for spring 2002, I'm thinking. That was pretty bad all over the state.

But at least this year it rained in June in SW Colorado, as Silverton is having its fireworks show this year. So, things aren't that bad.
Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Dave B »

Despite peak SWE being +/- average in the southern part of the state, several large dust storms and little spring snow resulted in an unusually early melt out. Up north, we had a series of spring storms and cooler weather up high that prolonged melt out with most basins hitting peak streamflow at about the normal time. Luckily monsoon season has delivered quite well so far, so as long as that continues fire issues shouldn't be too bad.

Either way, water rights from the Colorado River will become increasingly contentious whether this drought persists or not. It's almost as if the desert isn't a good place for large urban centers or agriculture.
Make wilderness less accessible.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Wentzl wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 9:42 pmMy causal observation suggests that July 1 was typical for August 30 of a typical year. Anyone have other observations based on past experience to share?
For the San Juans, that was my observation from the last few days in the Chicago Basin as well.

When we were in the San Juans on June 11-12, conditions were more like they usually are in early to mid July, including the mosquitoes!
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.