2022 Goals

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
daway8
14ers: 58  24 
13ers: 155 29
Trip Reports (70)

Re: 2022 Goals

Post by daway8 »

daway8 wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:05 pm Although I had a perhaps above average year last year, I'm setting the bar pretty low this year:

- Hike again (stupid knee infection... :( )

If I get that goal met it's all downhill (or is that uphill?) from there!
So with the bar set so low, I'm absolutely crushing my goals this year, lol. I have indeed hiked again and not only that but I got:
- 3 new 14er snowflakes (one of them hit twice)
- 4 new 13er snowflakes
- 13 new 13ers overall so far (plus 4 repeats)
- 4 repeat 14er summits outside of winter
- 2 new 14er sub-summits (including a delightfully fun class 4 one with a touch of class 5 thrown in - namely Northeast Crestone).

Now I just have to enjoy the listlessness of my continued wandering (though the list of 74 which suddenly became the list of 73 thanks to LiDAR now has my attention... maybe this year, maybe later...)
Skimo95
14ers: 58  11  23 
13ers: 176 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Skimo95 »

HikerGuy wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 3:22 pm
HikerGuy wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:55 am No goals this year, it only leads to disappointment. That said, good luck to everyone with your pursuits, I hope you crush it!
I'm not disappointed.
Hiker Guy, you’re a bad ass. No if ands or buts about it 8)

On another note, I picked up a new job/moved cities this year so I’ve got some catching up to do. How’s everyone else’s progress? Nice job David!
glenmiz
14ers: 58 
13ers: 121 1 3
Trip Reports (4)

Post by glenmiz »

glenmiz wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 12:11 pm Hiking
- > 175,000' and 30 new ranked peaks (focus on quality over quantity and enjoying the trip) - 99,146 and 22 new ranked peaks thru today
- Prominence Index >= 190 - 187 today
- California 14er with Rachel - no plan
- 5 Durango-area peaks with Nick (including Pigeon and Turret) - no plan
- Re-finish Ranked Jeffco Peaks <= Class 4 (thanks Lidar) - got Black Hawk Mtn, Ralston Buttes remains; Thursday....?
- Berrian 366 grid - exit 2022 with less than 10 open days - 7 of 9 at 1/1/2022 done ytd, 36 remain
Other
- Get 15 quality ski days at Copper - I lost count, but it didn't feel like I made it
- Play tennis year-round - check
- Visit 2 new National Parks with Clara - Saguaro in April
- Take 2 driving trips with one of > 5000 miles - nothing yet
General
- Be happy
- Raise my guitar-playing level
- Help other folks - hiking, career, education
- Continue to improve balance between hiking, tennis and cross-training and rest to feel better
Aim high to end high
TomPierce
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TomPierce »

TomPierce wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:49 am My 2022 goals, which are more aspirational than bucket list must-do's:

-Climbing: More of the same, 5th class peaks. I have a list of a few (<10) that are of interest, a few (2-3) are higher priority, e.g. new LIDAR peaks, etc. Making progress: 2 new ranked LIDAR 5th class peaks, another unranked 5th class peak last weekend. Hopefully I'll get another 2-3 this year. And there are a few ranked & unranked peaks in Dinosaur National Monument, a favorite area, that I'd like to get to via off trail, circuitious possibly dangerous routes. Getting to the planning stage of this, I've mentally sketched out a new route, and I've decided to make it a combo off trail route & packrafting trip. Should be challenging and fun, probably in September/October. High adventure!

-Paddling: 2022 is shaping up to be an awful year for river sports, low snowpack = low runoff = low water flow. We'll see. That aside, maybe an early season (April) run down the Yampa, hopefully at >1,000 cfs (we did it a couple of years back at 850, it was OK, not great). Done, did the full Yampa via inflatable kayak in April. Really fun, challenging, but I think I'm ready for new river adventures; I've done the Split Mountain exit from the Yampa & Green Rivers 5 times now, it's time to explore other rivers. I think the Escalante will be the focus for 2023. An interesting alternative is a packraft sojourn down the Escalante in UT, but that's apparently hard to nail on the cfs, esp in a drought. Again, we'll see...

-Cycling: I'd like to up my annual mileage to north of 3,000 miles, and I have a few other loose cycling goals: Ride to the border of Kansas (finally?!?), a long day at 170 miles, and maybe a multi-day jaunt to Oklahoma. I've also always wanted to do an unsupported solo double century ride (200 miles); maybe if my training doesn't fall apart in 2022 I can pull it off. Ugh, had a nagging knee injury early in the year, it really set me back. But I'm steadily adding miles, juggling long weekend rides with climbing trips. Hard to say if I'll meet these cycling goals. But I should be in good shape for the winter fat biking season (I've been working on a winter ride up Mt. Evans) and the road season next year.

-And Everything Else: Wife, kids, family, work. Always gotta balance the above loose goals with the Everything Else! All good at home, as good as they can be raising twin teenagers!

Wishing everyone a happy, healthy & productive 2022!

-Tom
dr_j
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 13
Trip Reports (4)

Post by dr_j »

Haven't updated this in a while, but now that summer hiking season's over:
dr_j wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:36 pm This will probably change, given the never ending pandemic waves:

Centennials, hopefully 10 or so. Just Crystal Pk. next to Breck.
14er repeats with friends. Gonna do them all again. Nine 14ers this year, nothing above Class 2, but most with friends. Attended two .com members' finishers (oorg and ncxhjhgvbi) on Uncompahgre, congrats!
Couple more Cascade peaks, e.g. Adams, Shasta.
Aim for 100 K vertical over the course of the year, and / or 400 miles hiking. 51000 vertical for the year, not awful not great.
Mont Blanc
Orizaba
EBC
Ausangate trek
Ski 30 days or more Season ended at 19 days, but hopefully I'll get some days in for the 2022-23 season. Snow conditions look decent for early November.
Travel to the Gulf region since I’ve never been
Mayan world Haven't been out of the country since July. But lots of foreign travel coming up this month. I've visited around one-third of the world's countries / territories.
Ethiopia

Stay healthy
Stay sane Not really. Admittedly I've been in a pretty depressive phase for the better part of a year, with some variations. Musical activities are showing some promise, though.
Stay employed
Find that rad dude to make my life whole Aaargh. Being part of that 5 % sucks. No luck in that part of my life.
Last edited by dr_j on Sun Nov 06, 2022 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IG: jc_solitude
Tornadoman
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 266 35
Trip Reports (12)

Post by Tornadoman »

Tornadoman wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 8:18 pm Another year so I guess I will make another goal post for outdoor activities for the year.

1- Stay healthy so I can continue to enjoy outdoor activities. So far, so good.
2- Continue streak of a 13er/14er summit each month (Starting the year with a 67 month streak). Currently at 74 months (through July)
3- One 5th class 13er. Hopefully in August
4- 7 new ranked winter 13ers/14ers (this would put me at 40). I did add 7 peaks to put me at 40 ranked Winter 13ers/14ers. But apparently Mt. Lady Washington isn't ranked so I will be losing one. Still calling this a success.
5- The UNs (Lake City area Centennials) in calendar winter. 1/2 Credit, did UN 13,811 in winter but not proceed to 13,832
6- Jupiter Peak as a day trip from Purgatory. Not yet, and not sure if I am going to have the time/stamina to make this happen.
7- Complete first ever 50k (the reason for goal 6, that will be a great tune-up). Signed up for the 50k at the Sangre De Cristo Ultra series- (it's outside of Westcliffe on Sept. 24th in case anyone is interested.
8- Centennial Buckskin as Lidar shows the summit isn't where I thought it was so I need a redo (strong preference to complete in winter) :lol: - Yes, I did get this one done on a WINDY February day.
9- Castle Rock Stairs- would like to do 15 laps of them in a single trip. (Normally do 10x a few times each winter). Not many trips to the stairs lately, hopefully can get in a 15x trip come fall.

Best of luck to everyone, here's to 2022!
Climb the mountain so you can see the world, not so the world can see you.
rijaca
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 244 1 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by rijaca »

I'm still alive!
"A couple more shots of whiskey,
the women 'round here start looking good"
HikerGuy
13ers: 426 8
Trip Reports (9)

Post by HikerGuy »

rijaca wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 9:47 am I'm still alive!
Heck, yeah! This is the update we all want to see. This year and the next and the next after...
angry
14ers: 58  45 
13ers: 231 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by angry »

angry wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 4:53 pm I have a few carry overs from last year that I just ran out of time to get done.

1. Finish last 3 California 14ers successful summit of Middle Palisade on 9/7/22, two to go!
2. The Grand Successful summit on 7/30/22 via Upper Exum with yaktoleft13
3. PNW trip Spent 10 days (5/21/22-5/31/22) climbing so many great routes in Mazama, Leavenworth and Winthrop. Highlight was SEWS South Arete 5.5 mixed (which in a strange turn of events had some pretty massive rockfall a few days after I summited due to heavy rain/snowmelt)
4. 15 snowflakes waiting to tally up and wondering what kind of winter kickoff we're gonna get come December, either way it's too dang hot and I'm ready for it!
5. Meet/hike with forum/IG friends. (Was great to finally meet Steph & Archer!) I got to hike with Jay521 and had the best time ever, can't wait to do it again!
Last edited by angry on Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
headsizeburrito
14ers: 29  18 
13ers: 89 4
Trip Reports (8)

Post by headsizeburrito »

Always good to check on progress, so here we go...
headsizeburrito wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 12:53 pm I'll give myself 4.5/8 on my goals last year, not too bad for my first full year living in CO. Haven't thought too hard about specifics for 2022 but this thread is a good reminder to do that!

1. Finish the trip report on a trip I took in August :roll: (good to have some attainable goals) edit: one goal down, on a roll for 2022! https://www.14ers.com/php14ers/triprepo ... trip=21533 DONE
2. Get some more 14er/13er snowflakes this winter. Did Sherman, Yale, Bel/Ox, plus a few 13ers, so I'll say I did ok there.
3. Just keep chipping away at 14ers/13ers the rest of the year. (edit: Capitol would be the one specific 14er I want to make sure I tag) Working on this, did several 14ers and 13ers so far this season, hoping to at least finish off the Sawatch Peaks on my list (La Plata, Tab/Shav, Holy Cross). Probably won't make it to Capitol this season.
4. Still need to do most of the classic ridges (Kelso, Ellingwood, etc) No progress yet on these, just haven't made the time. Probably will at least get these two in early fall. Did Father Dyer and E ridge of Bierstadt for a second time, those are popular if not outright classics, so I guess that's something.
5. I have a route planned in the Rawah Wilderness from last year that is now accessible with most Cameron Peak Fire closures lifted. TBD, hopefully in a few weeks but no concrete plan yet.
6. Spend some time exploring the Gore Range. Probably not happening, too much other stuff!
7. Be more social (maybe) Got a hike planned with a 14ers.com member this weekend, plus been getting out with the CMC, so I guess I'm actually doing this a bit. Good job me.
8. Come up with another good multi day off trail route for late summer/early fall. TBD.
Relatively modest goals, but actually making pretty good progress this year. Lots more fun to be had! Also might go out to CA in late fall to help a buddy on a hike and then do my own thing I had mentioned in my 2021 goals, so that would be pretty cool to get done.
lodgling
14ers: 58  58  2 
13ers: 18 1
Trip Reports (12)

Post by lodgling »

lodgling wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:01 am Ski one new 14er :-D

](*,)
Check.
nmjameswilson
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nmjameswilson »

nmjameswilson wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:10 am My 2022 Goals:
1. To Finish the last seven 14ers I have left to climb since starting this journey in 2019. Longs is the finisher so people can fly in and join me. I finished the 58 on 8/6/22 :-)
2. Start on the top 13ers in Colorado if I can get back out after the 14er trip.
3. Workout more especially with weights like I used to do.
4. Drink less alcohol I am on day 394 of not getting drunk!
5. Better life/work balance. I am spending more time outside and less working OT
6. Buy an RV and work from the road.
7. Fish more! (Catch a 10 pound largemouth bass) I have over 300 fish caught this year so far.
8. Get back to and work on my NM land

Here is my preliminary schedule:
2022.jpg
Update on my goals! I am half way there. :-)