9News promoting LNT on Uncompahgre

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
dwoodward13
14ers: 58  12 
13ers: 157 6
Trip Reports (1)

Re: 9News promoting LNT on Uncompahgre

Post by dwoodward13 »

Wow shame on all those involved. I hope there is a positive ending to this story.

Thanks for posting the 9NEWS email addresses. I think they are going to have quite a few emails from this community...
Cide
14ers: 54  5 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Cide »

That's a pretty big drop into an area opposite of the trailhead. Ain't nobody got that afterwards.
"Salients in the Void"
Permitting the CO 14ers, A Slow March to a Sad Future.
Wentzl
14ers: 58  20 
13ers: 55
Trip Reports (49)

Post by Wentzl »

if they used organic pigskin biodegradable footballs, then I don't have a problem with it. If someone down below was concussed by one of the balls, I know a good attorney.
Shorter of Breath and One Day Closer . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZXKgl8turY

"Social Justice" = Injustice
jrbren_vt
14ers: 14 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (2)

Post by jrbren_vt »

dwoodward13 wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 5:54 pm Wow shame on all those involved. I hope there is a positive ending to this story.

Thanks for posting the 9NEWS email addresses. I think they are going to have quite a few emails from this community...
I think they would consider the attention a good thing.
Best Regards
madbuck
Trip Reports (6)

Post by madbuck »

HikerGuy wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 4:03 pm Double Lame. Littering - ball is somewhere below the peak. Wilderness - exceeded max group size of 15.
EDIT: probably triple lame, 9news probably does not have a permit for commercial video production in wilderness.
Quadruple lame -- you just don't launch stuff off of a summit or cliff where you can't see the landing, period. I teach my kids, nieces and nephews that. Of course it's fun, but it's a crowded state with more than just you in it and the trail you did today.
pbergmaier
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 13 1
Trip Reports (4)

Post by pbergmaier »

LOL I hiked Uncompahgre that day and passed all these kids as we were headed down. We knew they were planning to kick a football off the summit. The question was whether they would all actually make the summit. I was secretly hoping they would send the kid returning punts to the bottom of the north face to catch it.
"I want to see mountains again, Gandalf, mountains" - Bilbo Baggins
https://www.instagram.com/icebergmaier/
Ed_Groves
14ers: 25 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Ed_Groves »

Cide wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 5:57 pm That's a pretty big drop into an area opposite of the trailhead. Ain't nobody got that afterwards.
Indeed. That football will likely never be found even if someone looks for it. I can't help but think some of the people involved in this had to know it was not the right thing to do. They just didn't give a damn.
"Education is the process of moving from cocksure ignorance to thoughtful uncertainty." (Utvich)
RyGuy
14ers: 58  35 
13ers: 230 4
Trip Reports (1)

Post by RyGuy »

Absolutely unreal. This reminds me of the Pete Absolon story. For those who haven't heard of him, here is what happened...and shouldn't have ever happened: https://www.outsideonline.com/outdoor-a ... e-absolon/

Yeah a football isn't a rock, but once it's at terminal velocity, it's a projectile that could easily injure someone. Maybe kill someone below if the situation was just right. Then we have the fact it's also littering. So that end, I really hope a lot more attention is brought to this issue to highlight why throwing ANYTHING off a mountain/cliff is a really bad idea. Period.

Hopefully 9News will respond positively and air something correctional.
"Climbing mountains is the only thing I know that combines the best of the physical, spiritual, and emotional world all rolled into one." -Steve Gladbach
XterraRob
14ers: 42  7 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (4)

Post by XterraRob »

Summit football kicks are going to skyrocket.

TikTok will be pleased.
RIP - M56
Re-introduce Grizzly Bears into the Colorado Wilderness™
mtn_hound
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtn_hound »

Wentzl wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 6:33 pm if they used organic pigskin biodegradable footballs, then I don't have a problem with it. If someone down below was concussed by one of the balls, I know a good attorney.
They'll be the ones who need an attorney to sue for royalties after Dr. Jon steals this idea for his next book
madbuck
Trip Reports (6)

Post by madbuck »

RyGuy wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:43 am Yeah a football isn't a rock, but once it's at terminal velocity, it's a projectile that could easily injure someone. Maybe kill someone below if the situation was just right. Then we have the fact it's also littering. So that end, I really hope a lot more attention is brought to this issue to highlight why throwing ANYTHING off a mountain/cliff is a really bad idea. Period.
Exactly. People will say "It's just a football in a remote area" and yes it's individually unlikely -- but it's a bad idea that doesn't scale. Just like running a red-ish light or speeding isn't always individually risky, we still teach the right thing to do (esp. to kids) and generally don't celebrate bad ideas. The criticism here going to the adults on the hike who should know better and set an example.

The thing that exasperates me about things like this is people kind of doing something for the first time and then not being intellectually curious about etiquette or the idea that many others are doing way more of it, or in a more intense fashion. For example, people think there are a few popular trails up a few popular mountains, and can't conceive that anybody would be below or anywhere else in the area. Or, they do their first 14er and then have to make it more about them so they huck something or sharpie a rock. Yet look at the peak lists of people here alone. Somehow people can climb 58 14ers or hundreds of mountains in general, and never kick/golf/sharpie, but that first time you decide to do it and impress your friends, you're special enough to make your mark? Like I said, it doesn't scale.

Now get off my lawn!
bdloftin77
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 58
Trip Reports (2)

Post by bdloftin77 »

mtn_hound wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:30 am
Wentzl wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 6:33 pm if they used organic pigskin biodegradable footballs, then I don't have a problem with it. If someone down below was concussed by one of the balls, I know a good attorney.
They'll be the ones who need an attorney to sue for royalties after Dr. Jon steals this idea for his next book
:lol: