2022 Goals

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
daway8
14ers: 58  24 
13ers: 155 29
Trip Reports (70)

Re: 2022 Goals

Post by daway8 »

crispy_asparagus wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 10:09 pm
Embercleave wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 7:27 pm I think what sucks about all these goals was that they were what I could plan for given my limited schedule as a grad student. And two failed and two just decided weren't going to happen.

It is what it is and I am about ready to move on from attempting the 14ers for other things that I care about. Though it is really, really hard.
Have you considered continuing to work your way up and progressing in difficulty...
Those are just my thoughts reading your post as someone who’s never met you.
+1 on the above response.

You sound like someone who doesn't really want to give up but who got overwhelmed and discouraged. If that's so, I'd listen to the good advice above.

If you're really just not into 14ers anymore that's ok too, but don't be too quick to quit just because the road got bumpy. If you really want to do it you'll get there eventually.

Also consider the Climbing Connection page to hook up with others - that can especially help with the mental game...
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

I tell myself it's still only September - we got through whole months - a quarter of the year left!
Embercleave
14ers: 30  2 
13ers: 12 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Embercleave »

crispy_asparagus wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 10:09 pm
Embercleave wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 7:27 pm I think what sucks about all these goals was that they were what I could plan for given my limited schedule as a grad student. And two failed and two just decided weren't going to happen.

It is what it is and I am about ready to move on from attempting the 14ers for other things that I care about. Though it is really, really hard.
Have you considered continuing to work your way up and progressing in difficulty before you tackle some of these objectives? If your list is up to date, you’ve completed only about half the 14ers, which means you have many easier ones you can work on.

You said you don’t currently have time to climb more than a few a year because of your schedule. The 14er trips you had as your goal this year are some of the hardest in the entire bunch. Which means you’ve got to be on your game physically and mentally to tackle them safely.

An alternate strategy could be to work on some of the easier ones as time allows and hit up the climbing gym in town here and there to start preparing for when you do have more time. Once that times comes you’ll be ready to go all out and get in top shape to crush those monster days like the Chicago basin, snow mass, Little bear / Blanca traverse.

The LB /Blanca traverse is regarded by most as the most difficult of the 4 great traverses. Have you completed the other 3 yet so you can incrementally make progress on your goals? It feels to me like you’re trying to jump too far ahead too quickly.

Those are just my thoughts reading your post as someone who’s never met you.
I get what you’re saying. Thing was, the goals here weren’t all that out of the question given the plan to get there and my previous experience. I have already have some big objectives like cables in spring and Dayhiking the crestones from the 2wd trailhead. I am also a competent 5.10+ rock climber already. I also know that in the past highly exposed class 4/5 rock hasn’t bothered me in the slightest.

So upping the ante to something like snowmass was easily doable. As was Chicago basin. And bells was something I knew I was capable of last year in 2021. Alas here we are. I got stung and then that was my short circuited season. At least staying off hard stuff was an easy decision to make! I’ll figure out how it works out for me.

The 13ers and 14ers are becoming less and less appealing in general due to the time commitment associated with doing the endeavor. There are other things I like doing like sport and trad climbing and science.
HikesInGeologicTime
14ers: 58  8  18 
13ers: 60 2 11
Trip Reports (37)

Post by HikesInGeologicTime »

Embercleave wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 1:13 am It is what it is and I am about ready to move on from attempting the 14ers for other things that I care about.
[…]
The 13ers and 14ers are becoming less and less appealing in general due to the time commitment associated with doing the endeavor. There are other things I like doing like sport and trad climbing and science.
I say good for you for knowing what you want to do and knowing that it's not fourteeners/thirteeners. The time commitment is not insignificant, and if you don't have much free to begin with, definitely better to spend what little you have pursuing activities that bring you satisfaction rather than frustration. Definitely cliche to remind you that the fourteeners will still be there once you finish school or whatnot, but it is true, so if it helps to think of it as taking an extended break rather than quitting, there's no reason you can't do that.

But if it does turn into a permanent sort of break...well, as someone who could've had a PhD or several with all the time they've spent peakbagging and kinda blames prioritizing fourteeners for not being in active pursuit of one (late August-early October has historically been THE time to climb for me, and blowing off classes/meetings with advisors because a great weather window opened up is, shall we say, not a great look), plus has gotten to the point of finding the endeavor overall more frustrating than fun but personally feels too close to the finish line to bow out now, I applaud your decision.

On an even more self-centered note, while I personally decided to keep mum on my goals for this year so as not to tempt Fate, I am pleased to note that I finally attained this one...
HikesInGeologicTime wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:13 pm Get to at least 51 fourteeners in Colorado
...that I set as a goal for 2020.
"I'm not selling drugs, dude. Drugs sell themselves. I'm selling stoke!"
- Guy at the table next to mine at Alta's Slopeside Cafe, in what I can't help but selfishly hope were (will be?) his verbatim words to the arresting officer(s)
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Embercleave wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 7:27 pmChicago Basin:
Got weathered out.

I think what sucks about all these goals was that they were what I could plan for given my limited schedule as a grad student. And two failed and two just decided weren't going to happen.

I got weathered out in Chicago Basin too for Sunlight (my only remaining CO 14er).

If the 14ers or other goals are just becoming a chore, there is no shame in giving them up. Since I only have one left, I'll finish them off, but more and more the Colorado choss piles are seeming more like a chore to me.

There are plenty of other cool things to do.

Good luck with your sport climbing and trad climbing goals. I sure wish I had done a lot more when I was younger.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
Chicago Transplant
14ers: 58  12  24 
13ers: 697 39 34
Trip Reports (66)

Post by Chicago Transplant »

1. LiDAR orphans, I have a few lists to re-finish (this list may grow):
"Pink" aka "East Red" - Eagles Nest Wilderness and Summit County lists (want to ski it this spring) Done but not as a ski
PT 13545 - Lake County, Mt Massive Wilderness, 13ers (also on my uncompleted Hunter Fryingpan list) Done
Bald Eagle - Lake County, Mt Massive Wilderness Done
PT 11126 - Eagle County Done
PT 13555 - 13ers Done
Peak Eight - 13ers Done
Peak Ten - 13ers Done
(Maybe "West Eolus", its 299' prom after LiDAR buy debatable if the summit block got picked up) Not this year
PT 13656 - 13ers Going 10/2
North Maroon - 14ers Done
2. Hunter Frying Pan Wilderness, 6 left (PT 13545, 12990, 12266, 11900, Bald Knob and Riley) 4 left now
3. Highest 700 (15 left +/- depending in LiDAR) 12 left now after some other LiDAR adjustments
4. Continue to explore new areas, hopefully out of state/country. Success on Cotopaxi, Cayambe and Rucu Pichincha in Ecuador and turnback (wind) on Illiniza Norte
5. Otherwise just get out and have fun, I try and go out every weekend and repeat a lot. Plenty of repeats! Helped a friend finish the Highest 100 (her last one was 8/27)
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day
PJ88
14ers: 34 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (0)

Post by PJ88 »

PJ88 wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:07 pm I'd like to get 10 more 14ers done in 2022 along with whatever other 13ers I happen to have the opportunity to do. Doesn't matter which ones at this point as long as I am in the mountains.

Also, I need to make sure I GET TO THE SAN JUANS!
With a vacation coming up later this month and then work stuff and then the holidays, I think my season may be done. Seems like a good time to assess.

I did 8 new 14ers with 2 repeats to help a buddy and 4 new 13ers. I also climbed my first peaks in the San Juans and Elks and made it down into the Sangres. It feels like a successful season to me. Looking forward to seeing some of you in the mountains in 2023!
bergsteigen
14ers: 58  52  18 
13ers: 538 100 12
Trip Reports (237)

Post by bergsteigen »

#1 Stay Healthy Nope, nope

Skiing:

1. Ski a bunch of 13ers in the Elks and SJs NOPE
2. Ski at least 1 new 14er, should it actually snow enough this winter and spring NOPE
3. Ski every resort/hill in CO Got it, all 32 in one season too!!!
4. Beat my ski days record. 152 Days!!!
5. Travel ski to at least 1 other state (UT/WY) NOPE

Hiking:

1. Multiple backpacking trips to the Wemi NOPE
2. Get to less than 100 13ers remaining. NOPE

Climbing:

1. Continue getting on a rope as much as possible. Beat my 13 routes from 2021. Still Ongoing, maybe?
A pretty crappy year that finally crashed and burned in May, but at least I made 2 of my ski goals. C'est la vie!
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games." - Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)
Your knees only get so many bumps in life, don't waste them on moguls!
“No athlete is truly tested until they’ve stared an injury in the face and come out on the other side stronger than ever” -anonymous

http://otinasadventures.com @otina
dr_j
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 13
Trip Reports (4)

Post by dr_j »

Embercleave wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 7:27 pm Plans I had for 2022:

Snowmass in May
Result: Failture due to altitude sickness at 12,500 feet

Bells/LB-Blanca traverse:
Not mentally prepared for these and I am coming to the conclusion my personal risk is too low for peaks like Capitol and the Bells continuing into the future. Though I know I am a more capable climber than people I know who have done these routes. I have just concluded that I am not mentally experienced enough to want to do these ever.

Chicago Basin:
Got weathered out.

I think what sucks about all these goals was that they were what I could plan for given my limited schedule as a grad student. And two failed and two just decided weren't going to happen.

Sounds like stretching it a bit far, those are generally hard routes. Maybe you do have the experience as you say, but Mother Nature does what she wishes, your body has good and bad days, and there's no getting around that. As others have said, maybe start with some easier objectives- each one is an accomplishment in and of itself. Snowmass is difficult under any circumstances, the traverse is something I started before bailing due to weather, and Chicago Basin is a fickle place weather-wise. You also used the words failure / failed, for me personally, it's not the healthiest attitude going into things. I prefer to say that I didn't get there, but picked up some knowledge about the route, or the crux, or what caught me off guard.

They're just mountains, and you've probably got a lifetime ahead of you to climb these peaks.
IG: jc_solitude
JROSKA
14ers: 50 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (11)

Post by JROSKA »

HikerGuy wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 2:22 pm
HikerGuy wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 3:22 pm
HikerGuy wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:55 am No goals this year, it only leads to disappointment. That said, good luck to everyone with your pursuits, I hope you crush it!
I'm not disappointed.
Still not disappointed. This no goal thing really worked out well this year!
I have to admit I'm struggling with this issue - that is, whether to set goals or to not set goals. Most of the time I've been at 14ers, I've opted to not set goals, for the same reason as you cite - that it so often leads to disappointment.

However, after several years, 2015-17, and 2019-20, each of which resulted in just two 14ers summited, it occurred to me that I was not setting any goals and for me personally, whatever reason, the result of that was my being very passive and very little getting done.

So in 2021-2022, the last two years, I set strict goals in terms of how many peaks, which peaks I wanted to climb, set up itineraries, and in both cases, planned on the "aggressive" side, pushing the limit just a bit in terms of both quantity and quality. In 2021, I accomplished almost everything I planned. In 2022, not so much. After 2021 when the goals led to 7 new summits, including Little Bear, nemesis Kit Carson (where I had been 0-for-5), and Mt. Wilson, suddenly I was at 44 on the list. I put a plan in place to climb 10 peaks in 2022, all of my remaining Class 3 or Class 4 14ers, and get to 54. Didn't happen. Not even close. I did get Pyramid, North Maroon, and the Eolus pair. However, couldn't get past the log jam at Snowmass. Sleepless night killed the Maroon attempt. Wasn't quite in decent enough shape to get Sunlight / Windom after the hike to Chicago Basin and the Eolus group the previous two days. Crestone got zapped due to bad weather. And El D quietly got bumped to next year.

Obviously, there is an extreme temptation here to throw up my hands and say, wow, I had 10 summits planned and only got 4, what a colossal disappointment. My heart has gone there. However, I've decided that if I can't be happy and thrilled to get Pyramid, North Maroon, and Eolus (3 very challenging peaks), there's something seriously wrong with that. I should probably consider quitting the pursuit if I can't look at that lineup and conclude anything other than, that was an awesome season. This is a hobby and it's supposed to be fun. It's not supposed to be like our jobs, with some supervisor saying, "I'll need an email by the end of the day explaining why the goal was not met". I got into climbing 14ers to escape from that type of mentality, not to embrace it.

I still think setting goals is important, and I intend to do it again in 2023. And to some extent, if I fall short in reaching a goal, I try to have some understanding of why it happened.
However, once the results are final, I think it's really important to throw out the original goal, not calculate percentages and just be happy with what was accomplished. And look forward to the future. I think that can eliminate any potential to be disappointed. Again, this is supposed to be a fun hobby. Not a demanding job. It's very easy for me to forget that.
TomPierce
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TomPierce »

I think some posters on this thread may be taking the goal setting thing a bit too seriously. IMO these posted goals are aspirational, that's all. If you don't get them all, c'est la vie. It's fun to see what other people are working on, but I seriously doubt anyone else really cares if you achieve all your goals. Relax, have fun with it.

Now get off the couch and go achieve those goals! ;-)

-Tom
HikerGuy
14ers: 58 
13ers: 426 8
Trip Reports (9)

Post by HikerGuy »

JROSKA wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 3:04 am
HikerGuy wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 2:22 pm
HikerGuy wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 3:22 pm

I'm not disappointed.
Still not disappointed. This no goal thing really worked out well this year!
I have to admit I'm struggling with this issue - that is, whether to set goals or to not set goals. Most of the time I've been at 14ers, I've opted to not set goals, for the same reason as you cite - that it so often leads to disappointment.

However, after several years, 2015-17, and 2019-20, each of which resulted in just two 14ers summited, it occurred to me that I was not setting any goals and for me personally, whatever reason, the result of that was my being very passive and very little getting done.
Confession time. I do have a goal for each year, 50 to 60 new 13ers. My first post was an application of reverse psychology for myself. My second post was an attempt at humor. My third post, I dunno, maybe a snide response to these annual goal threads which are just an excuse for humble brags in my opinion (except for Rijaca, he can brag all he wants, f**k cancer).
Last edited by HikerGuy on Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.