What are you reading?

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
maff
14ers: 17 
Trip Reports (0)

Re: What are you reading?

Post by maff »

On a recommendation from this thread, I picked up and devoured The Last Season by Eric Blehm, the nonfiction account of the disappearance of and search for a missing 30-year Backcountry park ranger in the Sequoia/King's Canyon national parks. Part biography of a fascinating subject, part history of the backcountry ranger program, part backcountry search procedural, truly gripping. Finished it in about 3 days.
Kol Gossett
14ers: 58 
13ers: 206
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Kol Gossett »

Mostly reading posts about what other people are reading
Bale
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Bale »

maff wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 9:57 am On a recommendation from this thread, I picked up and devoured The Last Season by Eric Blehm, the nonfiction account of the disappearance of and search for a missing 30-year Backcountry park ranger in the Sequoia/King's Canyon national parks. Part biography of a fascinating subject, part history of the backcountry ranger program, part backcountry search procedural, truly gripping. Finished it in about 3 days.
I really liked “The Last Season”, was a page turner for me too.
The earth, like the sun, like the air, belongs to everyone - and to no one. - Edward Abbey
greenonion
14ers: 50  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by greenonion »

Bale wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 5:00 pm
maff wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 9:57 am On a recommendation from this thread, I picked up and devoured The Last Season by Eric Blehm, the nonfiction account of the disappearance of and search for a missing 30-year Backcountry park ranger in the Sequoia/King's Canyon national parks. Part biography of a fascinating subject, part history of the backcountry ranger program, part backcountry search procedural, truly gripping. Finished it in about 3 days.
+ another. Really interesting story as described here
blueshade
14ers: 23 
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (0)

Post by blueshade »

They aren't new books and not specifically mountain related, but I love the books by Tahir Shah.
The Caliph's House, In Arabian Nights, Trail of Feathers, The Sorcerer's Apprentice
History, humor, adventure, mythology. Very good, IMHO

Also check out The Serpent and the Rainbow by Wade Davis about zombies in Haiti.
dwoodward13
14ers: 58  12 
13ers: 157 6
Trip Reports (1)

Post by dwoodward13 »

greenonion wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 2:10 pm
Bale wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 5:00 pm
+ another. Really interesting story as described here
Just finished this and wow. What a fascinating story, I couldn’t put it down. Highly recommend.
JohnnyLeadville
Trip Reports (0)

Post by JohnnyLeadville »

Just sat down with "The Man Behind The Maps - Ski Map Art by James Niehues" ... very cool book.
greenonion
14ers: 50  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by greenonion »

JohnnyLeadville wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 6:02 pm Just sat down with "The Man Behind The Maps - Ski Map Art by James Niehues" ... very cool book.
That does sound cool. (From a former cartographer, and crappy skier)
susanjoypaul
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 88 6
Trip Reports (2)

Post by susanjoypaul »

Whelp, I haven't found three friends yet, but I did find another great book. Empire of Ice & Stone: The Disastrous and Heroic Voyage of the Karluk by Buddy Levy is a winner. If you liked Alfred Lansing's Endurance (or any of the other great books in the genre) you'll like this one too. I have to admit that I like all of them, even the ones that go on crazy tangents about weather and snow and ocean currents and the detailed backstories of character after character after character, which many are prone to do. Levy doesn't do any of those things in this book - he just tells an amazing story, and tells it well.

Levy also wrote another of my favorite polar exploration books, Labyrinth of Ice: The Triumphant and Tragic Greely Polar Expedition, and he references the fate of that ship and its crew in Empire, which is kind of cool if you've read both books. Likewise, he mentions the fate of the Belgica, which is told in another one of my favorites, Madhouse at the End of the Earth: The Belgica's Journey into the Dark Antarctic Night by Julian Sancton.

Empire just came out this month in hardcover, paperback, Kindle, and audiobook. I'm audibling it, and the narration by Will Damron is perfect. I'll probably end up getting the hard cover to put on my bookshelf to read or reference.

Don't google this or you'll find out how it ends. Just go to your favorite bookstore or order it online and don't read any of the reviews.

My other faves in this genre:

Alone on the Ice: The Greatest Survival Story in the History of Exploration by David Roberts
The Worst Journey in the World by Apsley Cherry-Garrard
Trial by Ice: The True Story of Murder and Survival on the 1871 Polaris Expedition by Richard Parry
In the Kingdom of Ice: The Grand and Terrible Polar Voyage of the USS Jeannette by Hampton Sides
Ice Ghosts: The Epic Hunt for the Lost Franklin Expedition by Paul Watson

As long as there's another polar exploration book to read, just two friends will do: one to buy me books and the other to hear me blather on about them :-D
Wentzl
14ers: 58  20 
13ers: 55
Trip Reports (49)

Post by Wentzl »

This from out of nowhere. But if you claim Irish descent, you better have this book MEMORIZED!

"The Immortal Irishman", by Timothy Egan.

What a f***** story. A guy who lived through the potato famine. Banished from Ireland and sent to Tasmania penal colony. Escapes, flees to America, joins the Union Army to fight in the Civil War and ends up in Montana where he mysteriously drowns in the Missouri River.

If that storyline does not draw you in, then take a pass, but this is one of those historical novels that is both entertaining and educational. (factoid, this is the guy who designed the national flag of Ireland)

A fast page turner and fun to read.
Shorter of Breath and One Day Closer . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZXKgl8turY

"Social Justice" = Injustice
Progressives are Oxy-morons
vegabond
14ers: 30 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by vegabond »

Beyond the mountain, Steve house. Good read!
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

alive.jpg
alive.jpg (100.84 KiB) Viewed 1763 times