What are you reading?

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
nmjameswilson
14ers: 58 
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (0)

Re: What are you reading?

Post by nmjameswilson »

Liver Rescue 3-6-9
AnnaG22
14ers: 58  7  20 
13ers: 124 3 6
Trip Reports (5)

Post by AnnaG22 »

stephakett wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:02 am
AnnaG22 wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:13 pm About to finish Natural Capitalism by Paul Hawkens and Amory and Hunter Lovins.
a quick search- that looks INCREDIBLE. how did you like it?
I enjoyed it! Was partially reading it for work, to be honest, but it did get me fired up. It is (horrifyingly) pertinent to the current climate/market situation despite having been published 21 years ago. For someone like me who never took an econ class in high school or college, it framed things in an approachable manner and offered solid, real-world examples for the recommendations the authors pose to society.
"The love of wilderness is more than a hunger for what is always beyond reach; it is also an expression of loyalty to the earth, the earth which bore us and sustains us, the only home we shall ever know, the only paradise we ever need – if only we had the eyes to see." -Ed Abbey

"I get scared sometimes—lots of times—but it's not bad. You know? I feel close to myself. When I'm out there at night, I feel close to my own body, I can feel my blood moving, my skin and my fingernails, everything, it's like I'm full of electricity and I'm glowing in the dark—I'm on fire almost—I'm burning away into nothing—but it doesn't matter because I know exactly who I am." from The Things They Carried
AnnaG22
Trip Reports (5)

Post by AnnaG22 »

highpilgrim wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:30 am
AnnaG22 wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:19 pm The Secret Knowledge of Water is one of my favorite things that I've read over the past couple years. Utterly captivating, the book absolutely transported me to each scene he was recollecting.
He is great at generating atmospheric feelings for his subject matter. And fear when he wants. You should read the Animal Dialogues when he is describing encountering big predators in very dense jungle. :shock:

Think about trying this as well:

Finders Keepers: A Tale of Archaeological Plunder and Obsession
Book by Craig Childs
Animal Dialogues was actually the first Childs book I read!! I will read anything by that man, I adore his style.

Not as recent, but in the spring I read One Summer by Bill Bryson, which is a fascinating dive into late-1920s America, from political to technological to pop cultural. Would highly recommend as well.
"The love of wilderness is more than a hunger for what is always beyond reach; it is also an expression of loyalty to the earth, the earth which bore us and sustains us, the only home we shall ever know, the only paradise we ever need – if only we had the eyes to see." -Ed Abbey

"I get scared sometimes—lots of times—but it's not bad. You know? I feel close to myself. When I'm out there at night, I feel close to my own body, I can feel my blood moving, my skin and my fingernails, everything, it's like I'm full of electricity and I'm glowing in the dark—I'm on fire almost—I'm burning away into nothing—but it doesn't matter because I know exactly who I am." from The Things They Carried
douglas
14ers: 53 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (2)

Post by douglas »

[/quote]
Not as recent, but in the spring I read One Summer by Bill Bryson, which is a fascinating dive into late-1920s America, from political to technological to pop cultural. Would highly recommend as well.
[/quote]

Every book by Bill Bryson is fantastic - I recommend them all!
scalba123
14ers: 9 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by scalba123 »

I recently finished Know My Name which I thought was a powerful book.

Also Journey's North: The Pacific Crest Trail and Woodswoman.
12ersRule
14ers: 58 
13ers: 157
Trip Reports (4)

Post by 12ersRule »

3 books I've read recently.

1) "The Mountain - My Time on Everest" - Ed Viesters/Dave Roberts. Some of the stories about the first ascents up certain faces on Everest were interesting, but this is probably the last book I'll ever read again on Everest.

2) "The Storm on our Shores" - our very own Oman. Enjoyed this one. It's right up there with "The Big Year" as my favorite by him. Some of the details on the battle on Attu bogged me down a little, but overall, this is a stellar work. Highly recommend it for anyone interested in Pacific part of WW2.

3) "Is This Anything" - Seinfeld. It's mostly his routines in written form. Only a few made me laugh out loud, but worthwhile overall. Definitely can see some common threads in his bits.
Squirrellysquirrel
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Squirrellysquirrel »

“Snow caves for fun and survival “ by Ernest Wilkinson... copyright 1986... still a classic, straightforward read. Snow isn’t that stable yet, but great basic manual for snow cave making 8)

Included pictures of some diagrams here....(edit: removed images, copyrights.)
Last edited by Squirrellysquirrel on Sat Nov 28, 2020 6:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The successful warrior is the average man with laser-like focus." ~ Bruce Lee
speth
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 44
Trip Reports (3)

Post by speth »

My recommendations for the SAR-inclined 14ers.com users out there. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I'm reminded of Kris' signature from time to time:
  • Judgment and experience are the two most important pieces of gear you own
  • Being honest to yourself and others about your abilities is a characteristic of experienced climbers

unnamed.jpg
unnamed.jpg (255.56 KiB) Viewed 4086 times

All I want is to just have fun, live my life like a son of a gun
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Sarcasm or not, it's not even funny to post something like this. Not at this time. Reported.
AnnaG22
Trip Reports (5)

Post by AnnaG22 »

I'm only a few chapters into Just Mercy by Bryan Stevenson, but I would highly recommend it to anyone. It is captivating and offers so much insight.

Plugugly
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Plugugly »

Dark Summit by Nick Hell--very well-written detail of Everest's 2006 deadly season ( I think its comparable to Krakauer's).
Rudy can't fail.
druid2112
14ers: 46  6 
13ers: 32 5
Trip Reports (7)

Post by druid2112 »

JChitwood wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:53 pm Can’t recommend “The Emerald Mile” enough. Perhaps the only book I’ve ever read that upon finishing the last page I turned back to page 1 and read the entire thing again. About a year later I read it a third time. Fantastic.
Just finished this and it's all that. Great read, great research, and fantastic writing. Damn good book.
"You can't really dust for vomit." - Nigel Tufnel
greenonion
14ers: 50  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by greenonion »

Dear Boy: The Life of Keith Moon

What an incredible drummer. What an incredible crazy person. Only about 50 pages in of a very long book.