What are you reading?

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
My-Therapy
14ers: 57  2 
13ers: 31 2
Trip Reports (0)

Re: What are you reading?

Post by My-Therapy »

Beyond The Hundredth Meridian

I love learning about John Wesley Powell and his exploration of the West.
JTOlson26
14ers: 20 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by JTOlson26 »

Dandelion Growing Wild

A triumphant journey over astounding odds to become an American marathon champion

by Kim Jones

This is one of the best books I have read in a long time. Even as an extreme running nerd, her story was mostly unknown to me. The heartache and trials she went through from a young age are absolutely mind boggling. This is so much more than a running book. Highly recommended.
pmreyn2010
14ers: 50  3 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (2)

Post by pmreyn2010 »

I just read "The Answer Is..." by Alex Trebek over the past couple of days. It's a quick, easy read, with a bunch of short, interesting stories from both Trebek's life, and of course his time on Jeopardy. If you're a fan of Jeopardy! or of Trebek's, I can't recommend this book enough.
osprey
14ers: 52  16 
13ers: 144 17
Trip Reports (9)

Post by osprey »

JTOlson26 wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:08 pm Dandelion Growing Wild

A triumphant journey over astounding odds to become an American marathon champion

by Kim Jones

This is one of the best books I have read in a long time. Even as an extreme running nerd, her story was mostly unknown to me. The heartache and trials she went through from a young age are absolutely mind boggling. This is so much more than a running book. Highly recommended.
Kim Jones was my running coach from about 2004 to 2014. She sent an autographed copy of her book to me after it was first published for me to review.
She, unlike many athletes who write their stories with the aid of a ghost writer, wrote the book herself.
The account of the death and aftermath of her eldest daughter is heart wrenching and will leave you in tears.
It is indeed a good read from one of the foremost American women marathoners.
"Rocks, mountains, snow and ice: what more do we desire?" - Reinhard Karl

“I breathed in the air on the summit and liked it better than the air below.”
markf
14ers: 56  2  9 
13ers: 21 1 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by markf »

"The Last Traverse", an account of a winter ridge traverse in the White Mountains in New Hampshire that went horribly wrong. Not the best literature, but worthwhile reading for anyone who wants to wander around in the mountains in winter time.
mark
Bombay2Boulder
14ers: 56  3 
13ers: 269 1
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Bombay2Boulder »

Just started "Historic Telluride in rare photographs". Highly recommend, lot of cool mining pics and description of local history. Some pretty interesting trail pics around the San Sophia ridge.
ScottS
14ers: 58  9 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ScottS »

Just finished Hyperion. Blew my mind.
Jon Frohlich
14ers: 58 
13ers: 162 3
Trip Reports (29)

Post by Jon Frohlich »

ScottS wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:00 pm Just finished Hyperion. Blew my mind.
By Dan Simmons? One of my favorite books of all time.

Fall Of Hyperion is very different in structure but well worth it too.
ScottS
14ers: 58  9 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ScottS »

Jon Frohlich wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:04 pm
ScottS wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:00 pm Just finished Hyperion. Blew my mind.
By Dan Simmons? One of my favorite books of all time.

Fall Of Hyperion is very different in structure but well worth it too.
Yup, I'll read the rest in the series eventually. I think I'll do an "easier read" for my next book reading..
greenonion
14ers: 50  1 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by greenonion »

Dune! Very very good and relevant as Pilgrim has told us before. Took his advice and jumped in. Have a ways to go since I’m trading off between it and another long book on crazy person Keith Moon (but what an incredible drummer). I digress. So far highly recommend Dune
montanahiker
14ers: 38 
13ers: 185
Trip Reports (0)

Post by montanahiker »

greenonion wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 4:52 pm Dune! Very very good and relevant as Pilgrim has told us before. Took his advice and jumped in. Have a ways to go since I’m trading off between it and another long book on crazy person Keith Moon (but what an incredible drummer). I digress. So far highly recommend Dune
I loved Dune. Want to read it again before the movie comes out and then work my way through the next couple books in the series.

What's the Keith Moon book? Is it any good?
There's more to life than 14ers. There are 13ers.
OneHalf50
Trip Reports (0)

Post by OneHalf50 »

Just finished 14ers Disasters. Good book to learn from. Especially helped me to understand some of the weather patterns that are so different from what I am used to. Hoping to make it to CO this summer and get some 14ers in before we leave for winter to warmer climates.

Currently reading The Alienist. Yes, it's the book the tv series was based on. No, it's not hiking related. It is written by Caleb Carr. Published 1994. I had actually read one of his books - The Angel of Darkness - years ago (probably when it was published in 1997) and liked it so much that I had looked for it many times over the years (pre IOT) so I could read other books by the same author. Of course, back when you actually had to go to a book store, once the book fell off "the list" it would be removed from the shelves and I forgot about it for a while until recently. IOT wins again!