What are you reading?

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
slick
Trip Reports (0)

Re: What are you reading?

Post by slick »

Try "Bell of Africa". It's an autobiography of an elephant hunter 1900-1930. If you aren't into hunting, it is an eye opener about social life in Africa and the descriptions of the country and it's wildlife are revealing.
MtnHub
14ers: 28 
13ers: 23
Trip Reports (50)

Post by MtnHub »

Olivia Hawker, The Ragged Edge of Night

Historical novel, but based on a true story. One of the best books I've read in a long time!
Brian Thomas
14ers: 58  9 
13ers: 130
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Brian Thomas »

The History of the French Revolution: A New World Begins by Jeremy Popkin.

Pros: France abolishes monarchy and establishes a republic.

Cons: Napoleon ravages the continent of Europe in war.

In case anyone forgot, even Robespierre got the guillotine. The revolution eats itself, as most usually do...
"I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you to be just like them" - Bob Dylan
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

CaptCO wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:43 am I keep striking out at Goodwill for a Roach book or similar :(
Which book are you looking for? I believe all of them but Arch Bagger are available on his website.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
JTOlson26
14ers: 20 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by JTOlson26 »

"The Coddling of the American Mind" by Haidt and Lukianoff.
douglas
14ers: 53 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (2)

Post by douglas »

I Am C-3PO by Anthony Daniels. For anyone in their 40s or 50s who grew up with Star Wars it's a fun read.
druid2112
14ers: 46  6 
13ers: 32 5
Trip Reports (7)

Post by druid2112 »

The Wealth and Poverty of Nations.

Turns out that history professors know a lot more than me.
"You can't really dust for vomit." - Nigel Tufnel
greenonion
14ers: 50  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by greenonion »

Just finished "A Gentleman in Moscow." Very good and very well written.
Bale
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Bale »

Didn’t read the whole thread. Anything by Abbey or Krakauer. I haven’t read “Missoula”, college rape is not my “cup o’ tea”, (see what I did there), somebody convince me.
I will add another recommendation for “The Emerald Mile” by Fedarko. I have a question for you Grand Canyon aficionados; “The Man Who Walked Through Time” by Colin Fletcher vs the Harvey Butchart bio, “Grand Obsession”. Are either of these with reading?
The earth, like the sun, like the air, belongs to everyone - and to no one. - Edward Abbey
JChitwood
14ers: 58 
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (0)

Post by JChitwood »

Bale wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:49 pm Didn’t read the whole thread. Anything by Abbey or Krakauer. I haven’t read “Missoula”, college rape is not my “cup o’ tea”, (see what I did there), somebody convince me.
I will add another recommendation for “The Emerald Mile” by Fedarko. I have a question for you Grand Canyon aficionados; “The Man Who Walked Through Time” by Colin Fletcher vs the Harvey Butchart bio, “Grand Obsession”. Are either of these with reading?
Just started “The Fool’s Progress” by Ed Abbey. Only about 30 pages in very enjoyable so far. I’ve had “Grand Obsession” sitting on a shelf for years but have never started it. Maybe next read.

Can’t recommend “The Emerald Mile” enough. Perhaps the only book I’ve ever read that upon finishing the last page I turned back to page 1 and read the entire thing again. About a year later I read it a third time. Fantastic.
"I'll make it." - Jimmy Chitwood
druid2112
14ers: 46  6 
13ers: 32 5
Trip Reports (7)

Post by druid2112 »

greenonion wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:37 pm Just finished "A Gentleman in Moscow." Very good and very well written.
One of my favorite books of recent years. As a Russophile, I loved how it was really packed with fun Russo/Soviet history interwoven into the plot (in a very painless manner for those loathe to study history), plus a great ending.

Oh, and ++ on anything Abbey. The Fool's Progress is one of my all time favs.
"You can't really dust for vomit." - Nigel Tufnel
sseliz1580
14ers: 29 
13ers: 28
Trip Reports (0)

Post by sseliz1580 »

The Fool's Progress is one of my favorite books of all time. I choke up almost every time I read it.

Currently reading The Stand, it seemed a propos for our current time.....or at least it makes our time *slightly easier to swallow. :wink: