What are you reading?

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
andreasansone
14ers: 58  1  5 
13ers: 73
Trip Reports (1)

Re: What are you reading?

Post by andreasansone »

What doesn’t kill us- By Scott Carney

if you haven’t read this and are interested in mental and physical toughness, make it your next read!
“Be not afraid of going slowly, be afraid only of standing still.”
greenonion
14ers: 50  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by greenonion »

Wentzl wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 8:06 pm This from out of nowhere. But if you claim Irish descent, you better have this book MEMORIZED!

"The Immortal Irishman", by Timothy Egan.

What a f***** story. A guy who lived through the potato famine. Banished from Ireland and sent to Tasmania penal colony. Escapes, flees to America, joins the Union Army to fight in the Civil War and ends up in Montana where he mysteriously drowns in the Missouri River.

If that storyline does not draw you in, then take a pass, but this is one of those historical novels that is both entertaining and educational. (factoid, this is the guy who designed the national flag of Ireland)

A fast page turner and fun to read.
I’d call that description a bit too close to a spoiler. I love the Irish, have the heritage, and enjoyed The Big Burn by Timothy Egan, but you just gave away the meat of the book and not sure I’d want to read. Convince me otherwise?
Wentzl
14ers: 58  20 
13ers: 55
Trip Reports (49)

Post by Wentzl »

Well, the author started with the spoiler, describing the hero's fate in the first page of the book, so really, I did not give much away.
Shorter of Breath and One Day Closer . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZXKgl8turY

"Social Justice" = Injustice
Progressives are Oxy-morons
ScottS
14ers: 58  9 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ScottS »

Any fantasy lovers out there should check out the First Law series by Joe Abercombie. Dark humor and grounded novel, but awesome read. I'm chewing my way through the latest book during the Age of Madness.

Also, since its winter, it's an excellent time to read The Terror by Dan Simmons. Historical fiction novel, but the book is well researched about the Terror. and Erebus ships that got icebound in the arctic. It makes you feel cold when you read it.
greenonion
Trip Reports (0)

Post by greenonion »

Wentzl wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 7:07 am Well, the author started with the spoiler, describing the hero's fate in the first page of the book, so really, I did not give much away.
Fair enough if that's the case. Thanks. Does sound good.
montanahiker
14ers: 38 
13ers: 185
Trip Reports (0)

Post by montanahiker »

greenonion wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 7:02 am
Wentzl wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 8:06 pm This from out of nowhere. But if you claim Irish descent, you better have this book MEMORIZED!

What a f***** story. A guy who lived through the potato famine. Banished from Ireland and sent to Tasmania penal colony. Escapes, flees to America, joins the Union Army to fight in the Civil War and ends up in Montana where he mysteriously drowns in the Missouri River.

If that storyline does not draw you in, then take a pass, but this is one of those historical novels that is both entertaining and educational. (factoid, this is the guy who designed the national flag of Ireland)

I’d call that description a bit too close to a spoiler. I love the Irish, have the heritage, and enjoyed The Big Burn by Timothy Egan, but you just gave away the meat of the book and not sure I’d want to read. Convince me otherwise?
I'll second Wentzl's recommendation. He didn't really give anything away. It's a great book.
There's more to life than 14ers. There are 13ers.
greenonion
Trip Reports (0)

Post by greenonion »

montanahiker wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 9:10 am
greenonion wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 7:02 am

I'll second Wentzl's recommendation. He didn't really give anything away. It's a great book.
Thanks. His earlier response about the author's comment helped too. Might look into this one. Does sound very good.
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

The latest edition of Accidents in North American Mountaineering is out, so picked that up...
Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Dave B »

Where the Water Goes: David Owen - Great book on western water issues with a solid focus on Colorado. I've never been able to make it all the way through Cadillac Desert, just too dry (lulz pun), but this is a fun and easy book to read.

Comfort Crisis: Michael Easter - I'm typically wary of the Bro Jogan, bio-hacking, masculine bs, but really like this book. A good motivator to intentionally go be uncomfortable and/or bored and how much it can improve other aspects of life. Story centers, more or less, around a long Caribou hunting trip in Alaska. Author leans a little too far into the Bill Bryson "aw shucks I've never gone backpacking before, backpacks are heavy, bears will eat me" schtick at times, but still very good.
Make wilderness less accessible.
dwoodward13
14ers: 58  12 
13ers: 157 6
Trip Reports (1)

Post by dwoodward13 »

+2 for Where the Water Goes. A fantastic book.

A somewhat companion book to that is "Science Be Dammed: How Ignoring Inconvenient Science Drained the Colorado River" which dives into deeper detail on the behind the scenes issues and ignorance of those making the 1922 Compact and the 1928 Boulder Canyon Act as well as more recent legislation and management decisions.

Another favorite is "Fire on the Mountain" by John Maclean about the South Canyon Fire in 1994 outside of Glenwood Springs.
greenonion
Trip Reports (0)

Post by greenonion »

dwoodward13 wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 11:30 am +2 for Where the Water Goes. A fantastic book.

A somewhat companion book to that is "Science Be Dammed: How Ignoring Inconvenient Science Drained the Colorado River" which dives into deeper detail on the behind the scenes issues and ignorance of those making the 1922 Compact and the 1928 Boulder Canyon Act as well as more recent legislation and management decisions.
Dan McCool (not the other Dan McCool Forum member on this site) is a prof at the U of Utah and an expert in water rights and law. He was a heck of a Political Science prof for me a million years ago... https://radiowest.kuer.org/show/radiowe ... ter-policy
Heard him today on NPR discuss the very interesting and very sad state of the lack of water rights for Native Americans. Another example of how badly they got, and are, screwed. https://www.google.com/search?q=daniel+ ... oBegQIQhAC
Canman
14ers: 35 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Canman »

ScottS wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 7:50 am Any fantasy lovers out there should check out the First Law series by Joe Abercombie. Dark humor and grounded novel, but awesome read. I'm chewing my way through the latest book during the Age of Madness.

Also, since its winter, it's an excellent time to read The Terror by Dan Simmons. Historical fiction novel, but the book is well researched about the Terror. and Erebus ships that got icebound in the arctic. It makes you feel cold when you read it.
Thanks for the recommendations. 😎It’s a good trail to deviate from mountaineering books at times. I’m anxious to read a lot more from Dan Simmons. Hyperion series…wow, awesome.
It'll Shine When it Shines. -- T.O.M.D.
Please LNT.