Mountain Lion

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Mountain Lion

Post by Scott P »

I have seen mountain lions several times while driving (Dinosaur NM and Highway 40 Craig to Steamboat Springs), but yesterday at sunset I saw my first one while hiking. It was at Lion Gulch near the homesteads. I guess I know how Lion Gulch got its name. Unfortunately, the mountain lion ran away too fast so I couldn't get a photo.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
Rich H
14ers: 45  7 
13ers: 163
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Mountain Lion

Post by Rich H »

I've only seen them a couple times in over 40 years of hiking in Colorado. Both times they were running fast away from me. I know I am in their habitat because my dogs bring back deer legs almost every time I am out. My one dog goes from Juniper tree to juniper tree because the lions drag the deer under the trees
benlen
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 15 9 1
Trip Reports (4)

Post by benlen »

I've had the misfortune of encountering mountain lions twice in the last three years––the first time was in East Vail at either Pitkin or Deluge Lake. The big cat came running down a snowy couloir towards my direction while I was snacking at the lake––I promptly GTFO of there and kept a hand on my bear mace can.

The second time was a few nights ago skinning up Beaver Creek.
ezabielski
14ers: 43  1 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ezabielski »

I've only seen a mountain lion in Northern California on the PCT. It was a totally positive encounter and we got to look straight at each other from about 75' away for a few moments before it continued to walk away. I'd say it's one of the highlights of my time spent outside, honestly.
two lunches
14ers: 37  2 
13ers: 59
Trip Reports (0)

Post by two lunches »

one found me around 1am at the Huron trailhead on Labor Day 2016. gave me the heebie jeebies at the time, but now i kind of consider the sighting a treat. i believe there was a sighting last year around the same time of year in the same area- very surprising to me because you know there are 100 people camping in the area all up and down 390
“To walk in nature is to witness a thousand miracles.” – Mary Davis
LURE
14ers: 34 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by LURE »

benlen wrote:I've had the misfortune of encountering mountain lions twice in the last three years––the first time was in East Vail at either Pitkin or Deluge Lake. The big cat came running down a snowy couloir towards my direction while I was snacking at the lake––I promptly GTFO of there and kept a hand on my bear mace can.

The second time was a few nights ago skinning up Beaver Creek.
misfortune?? man I've only encountered one in my life west of Colorado Springs as it bounded across a dirt road while driving, I hope to see many more, whether hiking or driving. They're really not all that dangerous unless your about 3 feet tall and alone.
Last edited by LURE on Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
jladderud
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 41
Trip Reports (2)

Post by jladderud »

Lucky you! As an avid wildlife photographer, getting a photo of a mountain lion is my holy grail. Unfortunately, in all my time outdoors I've yet to even lay eyes on one (though I'm sure they've laid eyes on me) :cry:
boudreaux
14ers: 57 
13ers: 113
Trip Reports (11)

Post by boudreaux »

I can't even begin to count how many times I've seen their tracks in the snow in Waterton, but have only seen one crossing the road on Berthoud Pass. I bet that made your heart skip a beat!
Ragin Cajun
KentonB
14ers: 58 
13ers: 56
Trip Reports (3)

Post by KentonB »

I must be really loud when I hike... or smell bad. LOL Never seen a single mountain lion in 26 years of hiking in Colorado.

However, my wife and I were followed by one once. While returning from a climb up Kineo Mountain after a fresh snowfall, we found mountain lion tracks following our footsteps up the mountain from earlier that morning!
boudreaux
14ers: 57 
13ers: 113
Trip Reports (11)

Post by boudreaux »

I got a thrill from seeing lion tracks on Mt Rosa last fall, but I was following it!
Ragin Cajun
lodgling
14ers: 58  58  2 
13ers: 18 1
Trip Reports (12)

Post by lodgling »

I almost hit one with my car, as detailed in this thrilling TR: https://www.14ers.com/php14ers/triprepo ... trip=16913
bketron2
14ers: 46 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (1)

Post by bketron2 »

A mountain lion is one thing I hope to never see on a trail.... :-SS a bear encounter was enough for me.