Your Top 5 Bands and/or Musicians of all Time

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
FireOnTheMountain
14ers: 53  1  23 
13ers: 269 29
Trip Reports (23)

Re: Your Top 5 Bands and/or Musicians of all Time

Post by FireOnTheMountain »

^Uhhh. That wordy rappinghood song was incredible.

Reminds me a lot of this, double talk!

Everyday is a G r A t E f U L Day here in the ID...?
highpilgrim
14ers: 58 
13ers: 84 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by highpilgrim »

FireOnTheMountain wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 2:18 pm ^Uhhh. That wordy rappinghood song was incredible.

That's fun!

I love the FUNK!!! Here's another that gets me wiggling...WAR had a lot going on.

Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Walk away from the droning and leave the hive behind.
Dick Derkase
greenonion
14ers: 50  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by greenonion »

12ersRule wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 4:08 pm
CaptainSuburbia wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 3:39 pm This is too good not to share.

[YouTubeVideo]ijiazWlawUY/[/YouTubeVideo]
That made my all-time favorite bass songs list.

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/6pbNj ... rSvZgFAcwQ

The bass is by far my favorite instrument, it makes or breaks a song for me. "Can't get enough" by Bad Company is unlistenable for me just because of it's painful bassline.

Some of these are ridiculously technical, and probably some of them can be played by a beginner. 6 standouts from this list are:

Stanley Clarke - School Days. This is jaw dropping. I've never heard anything like it.
Fascination Street - The Cure. One of my favorite all-time tunes, the bass completely sets the mood.
Mystery Achievement - The Pretenders. Another all-time fave. If I ever were to pick up the bass, this would be one of the first ones I'd try to learn.
Family Affair - Sly and the Family Stone. Sly worked with some monster bassists. He did this one on his own.
Psycho Killer - Talking Heads. I often have this bassline going through my mind when I'm running.
Backwoods - Chili Peppers. Too many great basslines to choose. When I saw them on the Stadium Arcadium tour, this was a highlight for me.
Don’t forget The Who’s John Entwistle’s bass in The Real Me. Plays like lead instrument. Was one of the best if not THE.
CaptainSuburbia
14ers: 58  35 
13ers: 125 9
Trip Reports (44)

Post by CaptainSuburbia »

It's fun to watch Entwistle play it here.
Some day our kids will study Clash lyrics in school.
Nothing drives people crazy like people drive people crazy.
Save Challenger Point
greenonion
14ers: 50  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by greenonion »

CaptainSuburbia wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 2:57 pm It's fun to watch Entwistle play it here.
There it is. Nicely played as usual Mountain Suburbanite! Thanks!
12ersRule
13ers: 157
Trip Reports (4)

Post by 12ersRule »

FireOnTheMountain wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 2:18 pm ^Uhhh. That wordy rappinghood song was incredible.

[YouTubeVideo]zqhhZRcFlw/s[/YouTubeVideo]
Agreed. I really dig that Tom Tom Club song and the King Crimson one! War is also a dam good band.

Greenonion, I didn't forget the Who in the bass list. I agree "The Real Me" is one of the best bass songs ever!

Matt, that Hurdy Gurdy tune was weird, but it might grow on me. Not too familiar with that band. I really dig that Skankin Pickle stuff you posted earlier.
cedica
Trip Reports (0)

Post by cedica »

12ersRule wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 7:53 am Matt, that Hurdy Gurdy tune was weird, but it might grow on me.
I had to play Donovan's original to the kiddos immediately after to clarify what the song is about. It helped that they were locked in the rear seat of the car on the highway and couldn't run away. (Probably noticing reoccurring theme here...)
12ersRule
13ers: 157
Trip Reports (4)

Post by 12ersRule »

cedica wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 8:10 am
12ersRule wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 7:53 am Matt, that Hurdy Gurdy tune was weird, but it might grow on me.
I had to play Donovan's original to the kiddos immediately after to clarify what the song is about. It helped that they were locked in the rear seat of the car on the highway and couldn't run away. (Probably noticing reoccurring theme here...)
Russ, is that you?

You sound so much like a HS buddy of mine who lives in Rockwell Cnty, NY right now.
cedica
Trip Reports (0)

Post by cedica »

12ersRule wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 8:53 am Russ, is that you?

You sound so much like a HS buddy of mine who lives in Rockwell Cnty, NY right now.
Take me up the Solo Flight or KC North Ridge and I can be anyone you want me to be, Mr. Eagle, Sir.
highpilgrim
13ers: 84 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by highpilgrim »

cedica wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 9:51 am Take me up the Solo Flight or KC North Ridge and I can be anyone you want me to be, Mr. Eagle, Sir.
He's Crusty, DAMMIT!
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Walk away from the droning and leave the hive behind.
Dick Derkase
SunNFun
14ers: 7 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SunNFun »

That's fun!

I love the FUNK!!! Here's another that gets me wiggling...WAR had a lot going on.

[/quote]

Here's a little funk from the past
rijaca
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 244 1 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by rijaca »

This is funk....

"A couple more shots of whiskey,
the women 'round here start looking good"