Your Top 5 Bands and/or Musicians of all Time

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
FireOnTheMountain
14ers: 53  1  23 
13ers: 269 29
Trip Reports (23)

Re: Your Top 5 Bands and/or Musicians of all Time

Post by FireOnTheMountain »

Give it a chance...some 90s awesomeness here.

Everyday is a G r A t E f U L Day here in the ID...?
highpilgrim
14ers: 58 
13ers: 84 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by highpilgrim »

brichardsson wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:49 am Damn. RIP Charlie Watts
+1

Yep. Had to happen eventually, but I would have expected KR first given his youthful indiscretions. Youthful being somewhat misplaced...
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Walk away from the droning and leave the hive behind.
Dick Derkase
greenonion
14ers: 50  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by greenonion »

I literally feel like crying...
CarpeDM
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 350 13
Trip Reports (10)

Post by CarpeDM »

RIP Charlie. And I also just learned that we lost Don Everly on Saturday. Oof! Not a good week for music lovers.

"This route is awesome; you can bring all your favorite holds home with you!" - Cedar Wright
"I just wanna live the life I please; I don't want no enemies; I don't want nothing if I have to fake it
Never take nothing don't belong to me; everything's paid for; nothing's free; If I give my heart will you promise not to break it?" - Lucinda Williams
CaptainSuburbia
14ers: 58  35 
13ers: 125 9
Trip Reports (44)

Post by CaptainSuburbia »

Some day our kids will study Clash lyrics in school.
Nothing drives people crazy like people drive people crazy.
Save Challenger Point
SunNFun
14ers: 7 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SunNFun »

RIP Charlie
Last edited by SunNFun on Tue Aug 24, 2021 2:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
rijaca
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 244 1 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by rijaca »

I saw the Rolling Stones in Boulder in 1978.... (and again in 1981)

from https://history.denverlibrary.org/news/stones
FOLSOM FIELD, BOULDER - JULY 16, 1978

A May 19, 1978, Rocky Mountain News article reported that area rock promoter Barry Fey of Feyline Productions canceled reservations for two concerts at Mile High Stadium with the City of Denver. Feyline instead scheduled the Rolling Stones (and four other concerts) at the University of Colorado's Folsom Field in Boulder.

Barry Fey with the Colorado Symphony Orchestra. Photo by Denney. From the Rocky Mountain News Collection, WH2129, Box 90, FF-Fey, Barry
The reason? While Dan Read, an administrative assistant in the Denver Department of Parks and Recreation commented that "a lot of those artists won't play in big stadiums," the reasoning may have had more to do with Feyline Productions wishing to avoid Denver's 10% seat tax. When asked why he wasn't using Mile High Stadium for his concerts, Fey replied,

I don't wish to get involved in an argument with the city. I just haven't booked anything there. That's all.

Construction work at Folsom Stadium for Rolling Stone concert, July 15, 1978. Photo by Frank Murray. From the Rocky Mountain News Collection, WH2129, Box 348, FF-Folsom Field
Tickets for the July 16, 1978, Rolling Stones concert (called "Colorado Sun Day II") were priced at $12 (equivalent to roughly $41 in 2019). It was reported that after tickets sold out, scalpers charged as much as $50 per ticket.

Folsom Field, 1968. X-11799
Law officers and residents of Boulder braced themselves in the days prior to the July 16 concert, nervous about an onslaught of 60,000 Rolling Stones fans—and with good reason. The July 20, 1975, Rolling Stones concert held at Hughes Stadium in Fort Collins, in which 40,000 people attended, had been marred by high temperatures, rain, overindulgence and the city's worst-ever traffic jam. Boulder faced similar challenges.

Woman with spray bottles at Rolling Stones concert, July 16, 1978. Photo by Frank Murray. From the Rocky Mountain News Collection, WH2129, PhotoBox 348, FF-Folsom Field
When the Folsom Field gates opened at 8:30 on the morning of July 16, 1978, fans poured into the stadium, sans the following prohibited items:

...bottles, cans, watermelons, fireworks, cameras or weapons.

These restrictions did not prevent concertgoers from bringing in plastic jugs of alcohol and plastic bongs, despite heightened security at the venue.

The Rocky Mountain News reported that drugs, including acid and marijuana, were peddled freely. The News asked one "bold drug dealer," who was handing out joints, if he was afraid of being arrested:

No way, man. If they're going to bust me out here, they're going to have a hell of a fight because there's a lot of people out here who don't want to get busted. Besides, I don't sell to anyone under 15.

First aid station at Folsom Field, July 16, 1978. Photo by Frank Murray. From the Rocky Mountain News Collection, WH2129, PhotoBox 348, FF-Folsom Field
The Colorado Sun Day II concert opened with performances by Kansas and Eddie Money. By mid-afternoon, temperatures at Folsom Field surpassed 100 degrees, and first-aid stations were filling up.

On hand were 125 doctors, nurses and medical technicians from the University of Denver Open Clinic. They treated between 300 and 1,000 concertgoers (the number varies widely in newspaper accounts), mostly for heat exhaustion and alcohol-related afflictions, including one man's burns caused by flaming tequila.

The concert stage at Folsom Field on July 16, 1978. Photo by Frank Murray. From the Rocky Mountain News Collection (WH2129), PhotoBox 348, FF-Folsom Field
When the Rolling Stones took to the stage at around 5:30 p.m., the crowd roared, and the Rocky Mountain News reported,

Jagger careened, caromed, capered about, and crawled on all fours across a stage painted to resemble a giant, red-lipped open mouth.

Between the crowd and the stage were 35 members of the Aspen Gentlemen rugby team, recruited to serve as additional security. Dave Brockaway, member of the Aspen Gentleman, was quoted as saying,

We could cover almost the entire front area with our arms linked. We are willing and able to use whatever force is necessary to hold the crowd.

"The Rolling Stones' Mick Jagger struts his stuff, above, in Boulder, wearing yellow quilted jacket and football trousers," October 1981. Photo by Ian Campbell. From the Rocky Mountain News Collection, WH2129, PhotoBox 137, FF-Jagger, Mick
Although there were no major incidents during the Stones' Colorado Sun Day II show, noise complaints from neighboring residents were plentiful. On July 26, 1978, the Rocky Mountain News reported that the concert promoters, Feyline Productions and Shalom Maximon, would be cited for five violations of Boulder's noise ordinance.

Jim Adams, Boulder's environmental control officer stated that the Stones surpassed an acceptable noise level for longer periods of time than any football crowd had. When asked twice to turn down the volume of the show, Maximon ignored the warnings.

Now that's rock n' roll.
"A couple more shots of whiskey,
the women 'round here start looking good"
greenonion
Trip Reports (0)

Post by greenonion »

Highly recommend to Stones and Charlie Watts fans...
IMG_5208_Charlie.jpg
IMG_5208_Charlie.jpg (184.91 KiB) Viewed 2374 times
12ersRule
13ers: 157
Trip Reports (4)

Post by 12ersRule »

My very favorite Stones song. i've posted to this thread 48 times now, probably way too much. I've probably already repeated this one. But RIP Charlie Watts, you and Bill Wyman were a vastly underrated rhythm section.

I got to see the Stones once, in Copenhagen in 1990. High school friends and I interned for IBM-Denmark for a summer there. They just wanted to hang outside, but after the opening act, I was able to secure a ticket from a scalper for a bargain, so I bought it and enjoyed the show. Here is the setlist to that show:

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/the-roll ... 6e9c8.html
hokiehead
14ers: 49  1  1 
13ers: 48
Trip Reports (5)

Post by hokiehead »

I'll probably end up cross-posting this in the climbing connection, but start here.

I'm looking to see Gov't Mule tomorrow night (Friday, 27 Aug) in Dillon, and then driving to the Mayflower Gulch TH, camping, and then attempting the Roach "West Winds Classic" to get Crystal, Pacific and Atlantic on Saturday morning. if anyone is interested in joining, HMU. I'll be dropping the wife at DEN around 5PM and heading to Dillon right after that.

Insta: hokiehead
greenonion
Trip Reports (0)

Post by greenonion »

hokiehead wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:09 am I'll probably end up cross-posting this in the climbing connection, but start here.

I'm looking to see Gov't Mule tomorrow night (Friday, 27 Aug) in Dillon, and then driving to the Mayflower Gulch TH, camping, and then attempting the Roach "West Winds Classic" to get Crystal, Pacific and Atlantic on Saturday morning. if anyone is interested in joining, HMU. I'll be dropping the wife at DEN around 5PM and heading to Dillon right after that.

That sounds like a dang good time! I hope the Mules play Effigy. Just learned about that song (originally by CCR) from the maestro - 12ersRule :-D
12ersRule
13ers: 157
Trip Reports (4)

Post by 12ersRule »

Thanks Green Onion. Unfortunately, per setlist.com, 'Effigy' is only their 49th most frequent song the Mule play in concert. It is def. my personal favorite by them, with the George Harrison-esque transition to a classic Southern Rock jam.

I saw the Mule once in Englewood, CO, the day before they were set to play in Denver. I think they saved most of the good stuff for Denver though.

i'm sure there are people here who are so much more familiar with them than I am!