Poker Alice Closed

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
TravelingMatt
14ers: 56 
13ers: 435
Trip Reports (2)

Poker Alice Closed

Post by TravelingMatt »

Dateline, Lake City.

Poker Alice has been dark the last two times I've been in Lake City. Today I found out the owners "lost the business" and it'll reopen only if someone buys it. Not sure whether that's the restaurant or the building or what, source wasn't more specific, but don't head to Lake City expecting to eat there anytime soon. Looking inside it seems like nothing has been moved out.

I enjoyed it for post-hike grub and their pizzas were big enough to last me two days. Also that leaves the Cannibal Grill as the only real dive dining option in town -- there's a new place that opened that seems fancier, and Restless Spirits apparently downgraded to just bar food in recent years; I remember whatever was in their building having a full menu. And Cannibal Grill was out of its bigger pizza pies today (the square ones).

Oh well, I don't have that many more 13ers left on this side of the San Juans anyway.
You never know what is enough until you know what is more than enough. -- William Blake
TaylorHolt
14ers: 58  2  15 
13ers: 210 7
Trip Reports (8)

Re: Poker Alice Closed

Post by TaylorHolt »

It was better than Coyote Cantina, so that news makes me sad.
“If you're bumming out, you're not gonna get to the top, so as long as we're up here we might as well make a point of grooving." -Scott Fischer
mickknu16
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (2)

Post by mickknu16 »

This is a huge bummer. :cry: One of my go to spots with the crew in LC for sure. Was great while it lasted, but as long as the San Juan Soda Co. is still a thing, i'm good!
"Your mind is the mountain before you, you've reached the summit now transcend the skies."
Matt
14ers: 58 
13ers: 208
Trip Reports (32)

Post by Matt »

It was better than Coyote Cantina
Realizing that taste is a personal matter...

That's like saying poop smells better than vomit.
Good riddance to both!
We are all greater artists than we realize -FWN
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -HDT
Peak List
San Juan Ron
14ers: 39 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by San Juan Ron »

They are still open, just limited hours right now. Go to the Climb Elevated Eatery for some good food or San Juan Soda for ice cream. Ron
"The mountains are calling and I must go" -- Muir
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (39)

Post by justiner »

Lake City Bakery is just amazing.

My east coast churlishness shines through when it comes to pizza quality and Colorado. It's gotten better (the pizza not my attitude), but it's sometimes just almost barely edible to my high standards of baked bread covered in red sauce with cheese. Blame the altitude and the price of raw ingredients shipped into small mountain towns.
Cruiser
14ers: 50 
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Cruiser »

justiner wrote:Lake City Bakery is just amazing.
Yessir! I haven't been in a few years but Lake City Bakery holds a special place in my heart.
Where ever you are... There you are.
Candace66
14ers: 42  1 
13ers: 207 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Candace66 »

Hmm, they've been posting on Facebook as recently as August 29...

https://www.facebook.com/PokerAlicePizza/

In the past, they have gone to a reduced operating schedule later in the season. Maybe that is what's happening?
SchralpTheGnar
14ers: 51  49  1 
13ers: 38 30
Trip Reports (22)

Post by SchralpTheGnar »

I was in lake city in January 15 years ago and there was only one place open in the morning, they served me and my brother some coffee and a muffin. I enjoyed both.
boudreaux
14ers: 57 
13ers: 113
Trip Reports (11)

Post by boudreaux »

Been there a couple times, not too bad a place, but what else is there in Lake City? Remember it was a busy place.
Ragin Cajun
SnowAlien
14ers: 58  57  58 
13ers: 652 118 15
Trip Reports (111)

Post by SnowAlien »

Never knew it was even open! But Restless Spirits and Cannibal Grill are my go-to on trips to Lake City.
cougar
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 135 2
Trip Reports (10)

Post by cougar »

The chicken fried latte place in Estes Park also closed
http://www.listsofjohn.com/m/cougar

"If we don't change direction, we'll end up where we're going."
"Bushwhacking is like a box of chocolates - you never know what you're gonna get."
"Don't give up on your dreams, stay asleep"