Best Local Food Joints

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
JerseyGirlHikes
14ers: 25 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Best Local Food Joints

Post by JerseyGirlHikes »

Chappy's in Westcliffe forever and always. Ahhhhhmazing
nunns
14ers: 43 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nunns »

brichardsson wrote:
summitstep wrote:High Mountain Pies in Leadville for sure. The steak I had atQuincys tasted like my old boots.
i believe you, but i've eaten at quincy's several times (both leadville and bv) and never had a bad steak. never had a GREAT steak, mind you, but I don't expect greatness from a filet mignon that's under $15.00.
+1. Quincy's is not what you would expect at a $100 steak place (never eaten at one of those personally), but for the price it is quite good. I have also never eaten my old boots, so I have no basis for comparison there either.

Sean Nunn
Raytown MO
"Thy righteousness is like the great mountains." --Psalms 36:6
CliminDave
14ers: 58 
13ers: 71
Trip Reports (4)

Post by CliminDave »

For BBQ:
Silverton - Thee Pitts Again
Marble - Slow Groovin
C Springs- Rudy's

Diner:
Moffat - Grammy's Kitchen
Leadville - Golden Burro

Pub:
Ouray - O'brien's
C Springs - N3 Taphouse
Salida - Moonlight Pizza
scalba123
14ers: 9 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by scalba123 »

brichardsson wrote:
summitstep wrote:High Mountain Pies in Leadville for sure. The steak I had atQuincys tasted like my old boots.
i believe you, but i've eaten at quincy's several times (both leadville and bv) and never had a bad steak. never had a GREAT steak, mind you, but I don't expect greatness from a filet mignon that's under $15.00.
I ate at the Quincy's in Buena Vista last month. I swear there were more flies buzzing on the window panes than there were people eating.
Curve
14ers: 58  1  3 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (2)

Post by Curve »

Bistro Rialto in Alamosa is incredible. When I was there they had ran out of bread and made me a philly cheese steak calzone. It was awesome, highly recommend.
chicagostylehotdog
14ers: 57  1  1 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (0)

Post by chicagostylehotdog »

Mason's High Country BBQ in Fairplay. Their baked beans are fantastic.
Matt
13ers: 208
Trip Reports (32)

Post by Matt »

I've had the following numbers in my phone for 10+ years or as long as a place has been open. Why? Call ahead for pickup if I don't have time to stop. They're good.
Yes, I like pizza.
Amica's, Salida. Fancy schmancy, but the #11 w green chile is my favorite pizza, and I have a soft spot for the IPA.
Moonlight, Salida. Cheaper and less fancy than Amica's. You get more food for the same money and beer is cheaper.
Mario's Pizza, Gunnison. Nothing fancy, just tasty and reliable. It tastes great cold.
Cuckoo's Wings, Durango. Best ever.
Pizza Works, BV--through several owners. Back when there was nothing in BV but the Double D, Coyote Cantina (barf), and Pizza Works, they were #1 to me. Still are.
High Mt Pies, Leadville--When they're busy, you can order in Frisco, drive there, and still wait 20 minutes. But, they're good enough to make the effort. What else will you do in Leadville?

Other places I enjoy:
Colorado Boy, Ridgway for pizza and IPA. IDK about the other location.
Red Mountain Brewing in Ouray has taken the old Billy Goat Gruff's spot. They have higher end food that I enjoyed.
Steamworks, Ska, and Carver's in Durango are classics. Each has its perqs. Steamworks has good food and beer. Carver's can't be beat for breakfast. Ska has grown into a giant playground for kids and adults alike, though I didn't eat last time I was there.
Jan's in BV has solid breakfast--just skip the God-awful green chile. I had to scrape it off, and would have even if I weren't a former New Mexican. Ugh.
Secret Stash in CB.

Oh, whoever mentioned Rudy's in CoS, thank you. It's the best.
We are all greater artists than we realize -FWN
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -HDT
Peak List
summitstep
14ers: 15 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by summitstep »

scalba123 wrote:
brichardsson wrote:
I ate at the Quincy's in Buena Vista last month. I swear there were more flies buzzing on the window panes than there were people eating.[/quote. I don’t mean to bash Quincy’s;since so many like it it must have been a fluke thing. Guess I got the old tough cow that night. ( old and tough like me I guess) It wasn’t that I expected high end for the price but it definitely was inedible. I’d have said something but the server vanished for a loooong time (seriously- think she went home ) so after 15 minutes of looking at old road kill I moved on. High Mountain has never disappointed. From this thread seems I’ve missed some nice places. Something to look forward to. Also as someone else mentioned; Lariat is renovated and was quite nice and fun with the live music. But man I miss the old beat up, mingle with the locals old place too. Had some fun times there. Lastly, it’s not food but I had some good beers and a lot of fun at Jagged Mountain Brewery in Denver. Not a city guy but I hit it as I start the long drive home. Worth stopping in. Fun staff. Different food trucks provide the edibles. You all have a GREAT time catching late climbs, fall colors, cold beers and fun food while I sit in Ohio thinking about what I’m missing. At least I’ve got my Buckeyes to fill some time. ( don’t you dare mention the Browns; like bringing up Texas)
"In this high country that we love, trails are steep. We climb each mile, breath by breath, and at the threshold of pain, bliss overtakes us."

"It's called CRAZY. And somehow, when you are bent over your poles, staring at your boots- heart heaving and trying not to cough your lung onto a rock= you look up...and you are looking down over all those beautiful mountains....and you wouldn't want to be anywhere else."

"For all the richness of normal, everyday life, it is good sometimes to trespass high in the sky, and live with uncommon intensity, experiencing something that gets close to the sublime."
CheapCigarMan
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 108 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by CheapCigarMan »

Surprised no one has mentioned Serious Texas Bar-B-Q in Durango.
I should be on a mountain
719BR
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by 719BR »

Matt wrote:
Amica's, Salida.
i forgot about amica's. i did so like their "open 11:00 til 9:00...ish" hours on their door.

their calzone is not bad.
719BR
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by 719BR »

i forgot maggie's kitchen in ouray. the burgers are pretty awesome.
JChitwood
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (0)

Post by JChitwood »

CheapCigarMan wrote:Surprised no one has mentioned Serious Texas Bar-B-Q in Durango.
LOVE Serious TX in Durango both locations south on the river and north on the way out of town. Was afraid to mention it because BBQ is such a personal thing didn't want to deal with the blowback. I recommend a pulled pork sandwich slathered in cherry chipotle sauce with sweet tea and blackberry cobbler.
"I'll make it." - Jimmy Chitwood