Best Local Food Joints

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Glass_half_full
14ers: 57  7 
13ers: 19 1
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Best Local Food Joints

Post by Glass_half_full »

Have to agree on the Asian Palate in BV. The KHAO SOI is my fave and I live here so I have it whenever I want. :)

Also, Steamworks Brewing in Durango. Besides good beer, the Cajun Boil and Blackened Ruby Red Trout were stellar! Great way to start the Chicago Basin trip!
speth
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 44
Trip Reports (3)

Post by speth »

Just a couple:

In BV, I love stopping at K’s for a burger and a milkshake in the summer. Definitely nice after a hike to get some heavy comfort food, sit in the park, enjoy the view of Princeton.

Ouray, O’Briens for a decently priced meal for whatever your pub food of choice is, then walk across the street to Grumpy Pants/Ourayle for some beers. Ouray Brewing’s roof for people watching and summertime sunsets.

Aspen has the Hickory House. I have dreams about Pig Salad.

Salida has Amicas. The last few times I’ve been there the stupid ordering system is starting to ruin the experience, though, and a 45 minute meal is getting stretched to well over an hour.

CSprings, I owe Matt my life for taking me to Rudy’s for the first time when I had a massive hangover on a hiking day. Copious amounts of beef brisket tacos kept me alive that morning. I try to go here whenever I can now.

In Grand Junction, technically Fruita, Suds Brothers Brewery has become a normal spot during trips to Moab. Right off the interstate and decent food and beer for a good price.

Wishlist: Starvin’ Arvin’s. Seen it a thousand times but never stopped.

All I want is to just have fun, live my life like a son of a gun
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Sarcasm or not, it's not even funny to post something like this. Not at this time. Reported.
LURE
14ers: 34 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by LURE »

speth wrote:Wishlist: Starvin’ Arvin’s. Seen it a thousand times but never stopped.
Oh good that someone mentioned that. Starvin Arvin's is worth it.

Also in Montrose and worth a mention is Jimmers BBQ - BECAUSE they have 12.99 all you can eat meat fries and a roll on Mondays. Please note, I don't give an EFF about anyone's snooty take on who has the best BBQ and the "any other BBQ is crap except the one I say cause I'm from Texas or grew up in KC" bulls**t. All I'm saying, is all you can eat BBQ is awesome.
mtree
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtree »

I seldom stop somewhere to eat after a hike and those I've tried most recently have been less than impressive. But, if I'm coming back from a "training" hike or taking friends somewhere along the front range, Cactus Jack's in Evergreen never disappoints. Great burgers and wings. The chili (green or red) is hit and miss, but when its on, its on. Very cool vibe and a great outdoor patio. Weekends can be crowded, but you can always find a seat inside.
- I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was blaming you.
CheapCigarMan
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 108 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by CheapCigarMan »

Loved the authenticity of Pollo Azado in Grand Junction.
I should be on a mountain
Steve_P
14ers: 58 
13ers: 157
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Steve_P »

JasonKline wrote:
nunns wrote:Kind of a "chain" but not really since there are only (I believe) three of them: Quincy's in Leadville, Buena, and Salida(?). Very limited menu but that is the idea. You get a great steak for a good price. Try to ignore the "wedge" salad and remember that the reason you are there is for the steak. A great place to reward yourself after a successful climb.

Sean Nunn
Raytown MO

I wholeheartedly second Quincy's. They also have locations in Florence and Monte Vista. From what I hear, the prime rib on Friday and Saturday is better than the filet mignon the rest of the week (I've only had the vegetarian lasagna). You get a salad, vegetarian lasagna, baked potato, and bread for under $10. The filet mignon and prime rib (along with the salad, baked potato, and bread) start at $10.95 and $13.95. Their baked potatoes are ridiculously good. My mom and stepdad visit Colorado from Knoxville a few weeks each year, and Quincy's on Friday and Saturday is probably my mom's highlight.

Tell your mom to go to Connors in west Knoxville. It's wayyyyy better than Quincy's. Yes, a filet will be ~$35, but it'll be excellent meat. Quincy's is just ok. I've eaten there 15-20 times over the years, mostly in Leadville, but also in the other locations and most of the times it's edible to good, a few times it's been very good, a few times it's been terrible. I've had a few properly cooked steaks there that I needed a chainsaw to cut- barely edible. Last time was in Monte Vista about a month ago- steak cooked medium rare and impossibly tough.

most of the stuff here has already been listed but here goes...

Georgetown- Cooper's
Leadville- high mountain pies- great italian sub. Their pizza is good for a mountain town but skip the sausage as it's closer to bacon bits.
Buena Vista- Eddyline on the river -great wings. Biggies for a sub- mostly to go. House Rock is good but like Eddyline they've always overcooked my burgers where medium = medium well or more. I've heard good things about the Lariat but haven't been there.
Alma- South Park Saloon
Salida- Amicas- pizza and love the antipasto. Moonlight - pizza, spinach salad, cream ale. 50 burger is also pretty good.
Lake City- lake city brewery- great pale ale and surprisingly an awesome brat. Cannibal Grille- chicken sammich, burgers. Southern Vittles.
Alamosa- Rubi Slipper has a pretty good burger. San Luis brewing company- not very good: the food was ok, beer wasn't very good, and there were more flies inside than in a dairy barn.
Westcliffe- Chappy's- one of my favorite burger places. Bell's (nextdoor) is ok but not nearly as good of a burger as Chappy's.
La Veta- Sid's BBQ- good pulled pork sammich.
Wentzl
14ers: 58  20 
13ers: 55
Trip Reports (49)

Post by Wentzl »

Just discovered 133 BRGR in Hotchkiss. Local beef burger joint. No frills. Great food.

As for the nod to Jimmers BBQ in Montrose. I will say this. I live in Montrose. I ate there once. Nuff said.
Shorter of Breath and One Day Closer . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZXKgl8turY

"Social Justice" = Injustice
Progressives are Oxy-morons
12ersRule
14ers: 58 
13ers: 157
Trip Reports (4)

Post by 12ersRule »

CheapCigarMan wrote:Loved the authenticity of Pollo Azado in Grand Junction.
Haha, not taking any recommendations from a dude whose food all tastes like low grade tobacco.
XPLSV
14ers: 28 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by XPLSV »

Recently had a great breakfast at the Back Country Café in Gunnison. Open 7 AM - 2 PM. There was a line by 7:15 AM.
Bernie

It's an interglacial period...
LURE
14ers: 34 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by LURE »

Wentzl wrote:As for the nod to Jimmers BBQ in Montrose. I will say this. I live in Montrose. I ate there once. Nuff said.
Almost anywhere with all you can eat has me on a hook. I never said go there for the quality barbeque.

Anyone remember No. 1 China Super Buffet in Fort Collins on College? Now there is a douchey bar there or something, or is it Nicks? But I ate there semi regularly in college, even after it made me feel sick once. Something to be said about like, 8-9 dollar all you can eat. It may have even been cheaper than that, I'm mostly certain it was a money laundering operation. Am I the only one that also loves Golden Corral?

Edit: and for what it's worth, I didn't think there was anything wrong with the barbeque. I won't call it unreal. But it was fine. It was smoked meat and sausage that came from the same animals that anyones so called "best barbeque in colorado" came from.
CheapCigarMan
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 108 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by CheapCigarMan »

Looks like some great reviews from the hiking community. Got these loaded up and bookmarked in my foodie app. Looking forward to trying them out.
I should be on a mountain
mtn_clmbr
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtn_clmbr »

For subs, Biggies in Buena Vista is great!