Best Local Food Joints

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
aholle88
14ers: 57  24  26 
13ers: 300 29 3
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Best Local Food Joints

Post by aholle88 »

Breck/Frisco: Ollie’s, surprised I don’t think I saw this mentioned yet

Leadville: the taco truck (El Mexicano). Not open Sunday’s but it’s the best in town, make sure to get the orange sauce
Bombay2Boulder
14ers: 56  3 
13ers: 269 1
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Bombay2Boulder »

I will take out Steamies out of the Telluride list. It's s**t.

For Telluride -
Siam( Telluride one not Mountain Village)- This is the best Thai food IMO you can find in the western slopes, they can actually make spicy food if you ask for it.
Smugglers- Good veggie options here.
Cornerhouse- Greasy food, also one of the only places to remain open thru the off season, has very laid back vibe.

For fine dining - 221 South Oak, Cosmopolitan.
On a budget- Clark's Deli. It has a good collection of pizza, pastas, salads, sandwiches,sushi. Go in the back side and ask for Blue Grouse bread if you want a giant loaf of bread/baguette, it's a local bakery(Norwood)and has good bread, their bread can also be found in the market in Ridgway.

For Durango,
Switchback - Great tacos. Durango actually has really good Tex-Mex food, you can't go wrong with most of the restaurants in town.
Homeslice pizza- Your standard college pizza shop, some good flavors though.
Rice Monkey - Great fusion food.
Bread- One of the best baked good stores in the state IMO, great sandwiches too, top quality and well made bread selection.

For Dillon- Chimayo ( good fish tacos, DONOT go here for the service, the staff couldn't care less about your existence and will straight up roll their eyes if you fumble in your order, but I always like to stop here for a quick good meal)

Of course if you live in an actual city , you might find these restaurants not great, but for SW Colorado these are great options.
Last edited by Bombay2Boulder on Mon Jul 11, 2022 8:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.
edmdais1
14ers: 28 
13ers: 44
Trip Reports (0)

Post by edmdais1 »

Tony’s in Silvercliff is great!
dr_j
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 13
Trip Reports (4)

Post by dr_j »

I'm spoiled with the world's best chile in NM.

For those of you who get down to Santa Fe, yes it's a mountain town, there's lots of great places. My usual spots are the Shed, Pasqual's, Los Potrillos, Blake's, for more casual food. Ohori's for coffee.

Orlando's in Taos, and the Bavarian at the ski area, once they get the old German dishes back on the menu.

As for Colorado mountain towns, I am generally looking for stuff to fill me up, but there are a few places I go to regularly.

215 Ferraro's in Salida, love their homemade pasta. Little Red Hen for baked goods and I like the curry chicken sandwich.

New Sheridan in Telluride for steaks. Baked in Telluride (just for the name).

Pho Bay 2 in Dillon.

Meat and Cheese in Aspen. Great value.

Nayarit in Durango.
IG: jc_solitude
kwhit24
14ers: 51  2 
13ers: 182 2
Trip Reports (7)

Post by kwhit24 »

dr_j wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 10:12 pm I'm spoiled with the world's best chile in NM.
Sir that's offensive. Everyone knows Denver basically invented Green Chile and NM has nothing on CO. (I'm kidding obviously. A lot fun to get NM friends riled up when I say things like that)
"In anticipation of tomorrow don't lose sight of today"

IG: kwhit.24
719BR
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by 719BR »

Agreed with most of the stuff posted on BV (especially House Rock Kitchen), but I'll add Sorelle Delicatessen. Great sandwiches and I love the agave soda. And I've seen quite a bit of stuff turnover I've the years but the employees always seem to be courteous so the owners do a great job with their training.

Also, Elkhorn Pizza. I found their pizza to be nothing special, but my buddy had one of their giant chocolate chip cookies and called it "life altering".

Lastly, i don't think i saw it mentioned, but Freemon's in Creede for burgers and fries. Or more accurately Freemon's outside of Creede.
LURE
14ers: 34 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by LURE »

kwhit24 wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 10:20 pm
dr_j wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 10:12 pm I'm spoiled with the world's best chile in NM.
Sir that's offensive. Everyone knows Denver basically invented Green Chile and NM has nothing on CO. (I'm kidding obviously. A lot fun to get NM friends riled up when I say things like that)
saying new mexico green chile is better than colorado is silly.

95% of the green chile made in colroado restaurants and sold in colorado stores is made from hatch new mexican chiles sooo.... :-k

there's equally good places to get green chile across both states.
cedica
Trip Reports (0)

Post by cedica »

Bombay2Boulder wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 8:38 pm Siam( Telluride one not Mountain Village)- This is the best Thai food IMO you can find in the western slopes, they can actually make spicy food if you ask for it.
:lol: :lol: :lol: Good to know, thanks, cuz I tried that Thai place in Montrose and the only spice they use is sugar.
dwoodward13
14ers: 58  12 
13ers: 157 6
Trip Reports (1)

Post by dwoodward13 »

Maybe I just got a bad night, but went to Southern Vittles in Lake City a few weeks ago and both of our meals were garbage. Maybe I just ordered the wrong thing, but I wouldn't go back. The Lake City Bakery however was delicious.
Skimo95
14ers: 58  14  23 
13ers: 176 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Skimo95 »

Rocky Mountain Taco in Minturn is one to remember. 5s in Gunnison is good as well. Propaganda Pie in Redstone, Slow Groovin’ in Marble. Too many to list. I really enjoyed Southern Vittles last weekend. Recommend the Po’ Boy and Chicken Tenders. I didn’t think the brewery in LC was good…
daway8
14ers: 58  24 
13ers: 155 29
Trip Reports (70)

Post by daway8 »

Whatever you do, avoid 4Kings Bar & Grill in Westcliffe at all costs: most wretched service ever - almost ready to give up and walk out before they finally came to take our order and again almost walked out after waiting over an hour for the food. When it did finally arrive the order was wrong but ate it anyways since I was starving at that point.

If only this thread had been revived a few days sooner so we would have known to go to Chappys instead!!!
LetsGoMets
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 132 6
Trip Reports (2)

Post by LetsGoMets »

Real talk though - any other vegans out there?

Gnar Taco in Ridgeway can make vegan options.
Handlebars (Silverton).
High Mountain Pies (Leadville)
Golden Burro (Leadville)
Telluride has plenty.
Durango has plenty.
Brown Dog Cafe (BV/Salida)
I've struggled for food in Ouray outside of plain pasta and beer.
Not sure about vegan options in Westcliffe or Crestone.
The pizza place in Creede makes some excellent vegan options.