3,000 foot rule question?

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
pbakwin
14ers: 56 
13ers: 64
Trip Reports (19)

Re: 3,000 foot rule question?

Post by pbakwin »

The 3000' rule is used in Colorado for 14er speed records. It has also been called the "Colorado Rule". I'm not aware if this rule being applied in any other place or situation. Certainly not for speed records on the state high points.
nunns
14ers: 43 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nunns »

I am going to echo what others have said here, and add a couple of individual stories:

On Pike's Peak, I climbed 6800' up and took the train down.
On Princeton, I climbed 5280' up and accepted a ride down whilst I was descending.

Both of these climbs were much more strenuous than some of the easy 14ers that I have climbed AND descended entirely under my own power.

I tend to use common sense when it comes to deciding whether or not I climbed a peak. I wouldn't drive to the building at the top of the Mount Evans road, climb that last 100 feet or whatever it is, and say I climbed Evans.

Sean Nunn
Raytown MO
"Thy righteousness is like the great mountains." --Psalms 36:6
TaylorHolt
14ers: 58  2  15 
13ers: 210 7
Trip Reports (8)

Post by TaylorHolt »

Most people don't use the 3,000 ft rule when climbing all the 14ers (especially for mountains like Culebra, Bierstadt, Decalibron, Sherman, etc). It's mostly reserved for speed records and other competitions on the peaks in order to establish a standard set of rules.

It's your list, whether you want to count it or not is up to you. However, you didn't follow the 3,000 ft rule in this instance. To follow the 3000' rule on Antero you'd need to start below 11,269' and finish below 11,269'.
“If you're bumming out, you're not gonna get to the top, so as long as we're up here we might as well make a point of grooving." -Scott Fischer
ezabielski
14ers: 43  1 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ezabielski »

In the FKT spirit of the rule, it seems pretty cut and dry that OP didn't meet it. You have to end >3k feet below the summit.

In the 14ers.com checklist, it only says "3,000' gained". In the linked description it doesn't talk about descending. So on that basis you can check the box on the checklist.
Trotter
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 220 2 8
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Trotter »

TravelingMatt wrote:

Uncompahgre from the upper Nellie Creek TH wouldn't count either, even if you combined it with Wetterhorn

??? :wft:
Its 3000 feet. And combining it with wetterhorn puts it way over
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Nelson Mandela
Whenever I climb I am followed by a dog called Ego. -Nietzsche
TravelingMatt
13ers: 435
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TravelingMatt »

Isn't the FKT rule that you only need 3000' of total unsupported gain and loss? So combining peaks that are individually less than 3000' is fine as long as the entire outing has 3000' gross rise and drop between support points.
You never know what is enough until you know what is more than enough. -- William Blake
TravelingMatt
13ers: 435
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TravelingMatt »

Trotter wrote:
TravelingMatt wrote:

Uncompahgre from the upper Nellie Creek TH wouldn't count either, even if you combined it with Wetterhorn

Upper trailhead's at least 11400 (11440 according to Raoch) and summit is 14309
You never know what is enough until you know what is more than enough. -- William Blake
ezabielski
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ezabielski »

Trotter wrote:
TravelingMatt wrote:

Actually Nellie Creek TH is at 11,400 (according to this website) and the summit is 14,309. The intermediate undulations add the extra hundred feet. The 3,000' rule definitely applies to the difference between the starting elevation and the summit, not the total gain.
Trotter
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 220 2 8
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Trotter »

ezabielski wrote:
Trotter wrote:
TravelingMatt wrote:

Actually Nellie Creek TH is at 11,400 (according to this website) and the summit is 14,309. The intermediate undulations add the extra hundred feet. The 3,000' rule definitely applies to the difference between the starting elevation and the summit, not the total gain.
I disagree. Where do you get that from? I think its the total gain. Which is over 3000 feet.
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Nelson Mandela
Whenever I climb I am followed by a dog called Ego. -Nietzsche
Lobojasper
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Lobojasper »

Has anyone ever submitted a 14er starting from the lowest elevation point in Colorado, on foot? This should be the true standard on which a colorado 14er is submitted. :lol:
ezabielski
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ezabielski »

Trotter wrote:
ezabielski wrote:
Trotter wrote:

I disagree. Where do you get that from? I think its the total gain. Which is over 3000 feet.
All of the 14ers FKTers have followed that standard. It's given here in the description of the records: http://fastestknowntime.proboards.com/t ... ourteeners

"Most critical is the so-called "Colorado Rule", which says that the climber must ascend at least 3,000 vertical feet net elevation on foot from the base of the first peak in a series, and descend at least 3,000 feet at the end of the series."

Otherwise you could just do laps near the top to make up the extra gain on say, Sherman, since that would be a lot faster than starting way down the road.

As for your own personal standard, the obvious answer in this thread is "who cares, do what you want."
painless4u2
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (8)

Post by painless4u2 »

Lobojasper wrote:Has anyone ever submitted a 14er starting from the lowest elevation point in Colorado, on foot? This should be the true standard on which a colorado 14er is submitted. :lol:
Phttff. Everyone knows the REAL standard should be from sea level, barefoot, and then return. That would be the only true "climb" of a 14er. Now get busy.
Bad decisions often make good stories.

IPAs + Ambien = "14ers" post (Bill M.)

In their hearts humans plan their course, but the Lord establishes their steps. Proverbs 16:9