3,000 foot rule question?

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
nunns
14ers: 43 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Re: 3,000 foot rule question?

Post by nunns »

Lobojasper wrote:Has anyone ever submitted a 14er starting from the lowest elevation point in Colorado, on foot? This should be the true standard on which a colorado 14er is submitted. :lol:
If I start at the lowest point in CO (where is that anyway?) and then climb all of the 14ers from there, on foot, in one single traverse, AND then finally return to the lowest point in CO on foot, am I in compliance? Or do I have to go back to the lowest point in CO after each 14er? :-D

Sean Nunn
Raytown MO
"Thy righteousness is like the great mountains." --Psalms 36:6
Flyingfish
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 533 2 16
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Flyingfish »

nunns wrote:
If I start at the lowest point in CO (where is that anyway?)
The lowest point is on the Kansas border in the Republican River Wildlife area.
mrgooseskin
14ers: 27 
13ers: 20
Trip Reports (1)

Post by mrgooseskin »

Flyingfish wrote:
nunns wrote:
The lowest point in CO is actually about 22 miles north of that, where the Arikaree River flows into Kansas (very close to the KS/NE/CO tri-point, elevation ~3,340 feet.

Where the Republican River flows into Kansas is ~3,510 feet.

Sorry, I'm a true stickler when it comes to pointless geographic facts.

Edit: this is also the highest lowest point of any U.S. state.
Climber 4037
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Climber 4037 »

Everything counts if you want it to count.

I personally think the "3000 foot rule" is ridiculous.. It's just a number.

I also think what decides if a mountain is a mountain is crazy.. I generally view it as a massif and if high peaks are on the main massif it's just a high(er) point.

Meeker and Longs Peak are a classic example... to me, Meeker is just a high point on the Long's Peak massif. Long's is the mountain, Meeker is just a high point on that mountain..

Same with Mount Massive... it's one huge massif with lots of high points..

So many Colorado and California 14ers would not be 14ers if I was judge and jury \:D/

That would make my list a lot shorter :wft:

LMAO...
nunns
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nunns »

Flyingfish wrote:
nunns wrote:
That makes sense, but it also makes by quest a lot harder. It's a long ways from there to Long's Peak. :)

Sean Nunn
Raytown MO
"Thy righteousness is like the great mountains." --Psalms 36:6
pbakwin
14ers: 56 
13ers: 64
Trip Reports (19)

Post by pbakwin »

I thought for a long time it would be great for someone to go for the Colo 14ers speed record using an "anything goes" approach, ignoring the arbitrary, odd 3000 foot rule. (OK, we'll say you have travel on the ground, no helicopters.) Drive to the top of Pikes & Evans - fine. Start from the highest possible TH. Whatever works. Makes a lot more sense to me than the way the records have been pursued. Starting below some of the standard THs, as FKT aspirants have done, is ridiculous. Starting the clock for the whole project at some arbitrary spot up the trail below Chicago Basin, and stopping it along the trail 3000' below Longs Peak, is also ridiculous.
RichH
13ers: 22
Trip Reports (0)

Post by RichH »

I think this rule makes sense for anyone trying to set a FKT for all 14ers but is completely meaningless for the rest of us who just want to climb the peaks from the standard trailhead.
Rich
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

The hardest mountain I have climbed was only 2723 feet high. So, did I really climb it? :-k
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
illusion7il
14ers: 58  2  57 
13ers: 261 1 1
Trip Reports (4)

Post by illusion7il »

Trotter wrote:
ezabielski wrote:
Trotter wrote:

??? :wft:
Its 3000 feet. And combining it with wetterhorn puts it way over
Actually Nellie Creek TH is at 11,400 (according to this website) and the summit is 14,309. The intermediate undulations add the extra hundred feet. The 3,000' rule definitely applies to the difference between the starting elevation and the summit, not the total gain.
I disagree. Where do you get that from? I think its the total gain. Which is over 3000 feet.
Perhaps some visual aid will help. And just in case you can't figure it out, 14K is the summit. It's very simple, If a peak is 14,001 ft. then you must start or reach a point in your hike that is 11,001 ft. or lower, It doesn't matter how many bumbs you go over. Roach explains this perfectly using San Luis routes comparing how even though the Willow Creek route has more RT elevation gain than the route from Stewart Creek, The willow creek route does not meet the 3000 ft. rule but the Stewart creek route does.
Attachments
300 Ft Rule.PNG
300 Ft Rule.PNG (1.17 MiB) Viewed 3396 times
Trotter
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 220 2 8
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Trotter »

illusion7il wrote:
Trotter wrote:
ezabielski wrote:
Actually Nellie Creek TH is at 11,400 (according to this website) and the summit is 14,309. The intermediate undulations add the extra hundred feet. The 3,000' rule definitely applies to the difference between the starting elevation and the summit, not the total gain.
I disagree. Where do you get that from? I think its the total gain. Which is over 3000 feet.
Perhaps some visual aid will help. And just in case you can't figure it out, 14K is the summit. It's very simple, If a peak is 14,001 ft. then you must start or reach a point in your hike that is 11,001 ft. or lower, It doesn't matter how many bumbs you go over. Roach explains this perfectly using San Luis routes comparing how even though the Willow Creek route has more RT elevation gain than the route from Stewart Creek, The willow creek route does not meet the 3000 ft. rule but the Stewart creek route does.

I'd personally count both those summits. Agree to disagree
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Nelson Mandela
Whenever I climb I am followed by a dog called Ego. -Nietzsche
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

I bet 90% of the CMC finisher list has "cheated" on this rule, either at Guanella Pass or Kite Lake.
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
SchralpTheGnar
14ers: 51  49  1 
13ers: 38 30
Trip Reports (22)

Post by SchralpTheGnar »

Does the cmc finisher application say “I swear I gained 3000 feet for each of these peaks” or something to that effect. I wouldn’t know because 20 years later I’m still not a finisher, it’s schralps great shame