Camping now illegal in much of Utah

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Ptglhs
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 86 3
Trip Reports (4)

Re: Camping now illegal in much of Utah

Post by Ptglhs »

highpilgrim wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:24 pm That’s fucked up. You need help bro.
I completely agree with you and have been asking for help and a chance for quite some time. Since those aren't forthcoming I just get to stand back and hope the society which has rejected me burns to ashes. Misery loves company.
Bean
14ers: 45  45  10 
13ers: 9 4
Trip Reports (27)

Post by Bean »

Ptglhs wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:03 pm I completely agree with you and have been asking for help and a chance for quite some time. Since those aren't forthcoming I just get to stand back and hope the society which has rejected me burns to ashes. Misery loves company.
1-800-273-TALK or https://suicidepreventionlifeline.org/

I don't know what you've got going on or what you've been through, but I hope you can come out the other side OK.
"There are no hard 14ers, but some are easier than others." - Scott P
http://throughpolarizedeyes.com
DArcyS
14ers: 58 
13ers: 544
Trip Reports (3)

Post by DArcyS »

timisimaginary wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:37 pm
DArcyS wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:24 pm This was interesting...
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/20/opin ... comes.html
the nytimes article is really good, and describes precisely how early widespread testing enabled South Korea to get on the other side of the curve. we're too late here to contain it like they did, which is why, if we all self-isolate now until the testing ramps up to the proper level, it will take us 2-3 months instead of the 2-3 weeks it took S. Korea

asymptomatic spread is why more and more states are enforcing lockdowns, because without knowing who has it, the only way to slow spread is by isolating people as much as possible. after 2 weeks of lockdown, most of those asymptomatic infectees will no longer be contagious. of course, no lockdown can be 100%, but it can still reduce spread rate. if you slow it down until widespread testing becomes available, then you can identify more asymptomatic infectees through contact tracing, which is how S. Korea succeeded, but because there are already so many undiagnosed cases walking around here, it will just take a lot longer.
highpilgrim wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:51 am
DArcyS wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:24 pm since there's evidence that the virus can be spread asymptomatically, perhaps the lack of testing wouldn't have had much of an effect
No, that's not true. The point of testing is to identify as many of the affected as possible, to learn who they came in contact with, and to isolate them so they can't continue to spread the disease. All this, only to SLOW the spread so the hospitals and staff can keep up. To give industry a chance to get online with more mask production, ventilators, etc.

A lot of peeps are going to get this, most will be little affected. MId fifties up, not so much.

South Korea is testing 10K a day and have been from the outset. Their curve is already flattening. Too bad we refused the test kits the WHO offered. They weren't made in the USA. Good call. :roll:
highpilgrim wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:40 am
DArcyS wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:11 pm I gave this some thought, and I don't see your point. But oh well, to each their own.
Another member sent me this YouTube vid that provides a good overview.

Okay, guys, I see your point. timisimaginary, you're referencing my New York Times' link and say it "describes precisely how early widespread testing enabled South Korea to get on the other side of the curve." Actually, the article below does a much better job, and perhaps you confused my article with this one.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/22/heal ... ns-us.html

After reading the article, I come away thinking that testing is one component of a comprehensive strategy to flatten the curve as both of you suggest.

Nonetheless, there's an issue as to whether all of the measures taken in South Korea could be implemented in Western countries (as acknowledged by the article). Further, I wonder if the strategy employed in South Korea would work in the US because: 1) South Korea is the size of Indiana, so it's probably easier to confine citizens to certain areas; and 2) culturally speaking, maybe there's a difference between South Koreans and Americans and a willingness to engage in social engineering. Just something I wondered about...

So, anyways, stay healthy, guys. :)
Teresa Gergen
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Teresa Gergen »

Back to something in line with the actual thread topic, from the eastern Sierra in CA:

3/20/20 - INYO SHERIFF AND SAR: Do Not Take Part in High-risk Outdoor Activity in Inyo County

INYO COUNTY, CA -- The Inyo County Sheriff's Office, on behalf of Inyo County Search and Rescue (SAR), requests that people do not take part in high risk outdoor activities at this time.

Activities include backpacking, climbing, peak bagging, backcountry skiing, or anything that puts you at risk for potential rescue. If you get sick, lost or injured and require SAR assistance, the responding team of volunteers will have to break social distancing and State mandated isolation by sharing rescue equipment, radios, and vehicles. You will be potentially taking those rescuers out of service for weeks due to post-mission quarantine protocols.

In addition, many SAR teams, including ours, are operating at a diminished capacity due to many members self-isolating and not responding to operations due to age or other risk factors. Your preventable backcountry injury will also stress ambulance and emergency room services.

It is highly unlikely helicopters are available to assist in your rescue.

Inyo County Sheriff's Office DOES NOT own or operate any air assets, and our allied agency helicopters are currently operating at a very limited capacity. The public can access the complete Inyo County Order, issued March 20, 2020 at: https://www.inyocounty.us/sites/default ... 0.20_0.pdf. Please visit http://inyosar.com for additional information about the Inyo SAR team, or to donate.

https://www.inyocounty.us/covid-19/press-releases
swampthing
14ers: 14  1 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (0)

Post by swampthing »

Teresa Gergen wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:22 am
In addition, many SAR teams, including ours, are operating at a diminished capacity due to many members self-isolating and not responding to operations due to age or other risk factors. Your preventable backcountry injury will also stress ambulance and emergency room services.
Exactly! Thank you for sharing this.
Teresa Gergen
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Teresa Gergen »

And, back to my earlier post, about how to interpret driving being allowed for exercise in the Bay Area closure, they've made it pretty clear here (although the situation may have changed since I posted before):

https://www.smchealth.org/post/health-o ... statements

"As for outdoor exercise, people certainly need to get out, but do this in your own immediate neighborhoods. Do not drive except to provide or obtain an essential service. Do not go into other neighborhoods for recreation."

CA didn't want to close their state parks to recreation - but they just started closing the parking lots to prevent people from driving to them.
LURE
14ers: 34 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by LURE »

Ptglhs wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:03 pm
highpilgrim wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:24 pm That’s fucked up. You need help bro.
I completely agree with you and have been asking for help and a chance for quite some time. Since those aren't forthcoming I just get to stand back and hope the society which has rejected me burns to ashes. Misery loves company.
sometimes when society rejects you, maybe you should look in the mirror and ask, why is society rejecting me?

your posts on this board have always indicated these things to me, for quite some time

that said, please, legitimately, ask for help, here or anywhere else if you looking down a tunnel and aren't seeing any light. we're not actually savages, it's just fun to be an a**hole online

we're all in this thing called life together
ker0uac
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ker0uac »

Alpine Guy wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:49 pm Yeah the maps you see are not showing proliferation of the virus, they are maps showing proliferation of test kits. And as test kit production ramps up, the number of positives will probably go dramatically.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/202 ... cases.html
with more widespread testing the number of positives will go up dramatically, so if you are right, that means the anecdotal mortality rates will go down dramatically?
Those who travel to mountain-tops are half in love with themselves and half in love with oblivion
douglas
14ers: 53 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (2)

Post by douglas »

Ptglhs wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:03 pm
Maybe there is more to this than I know, but as a health care worker I would say this to Ptglhs - If what you have been posting is truly how you feel I would beg you to seek professional help. This is no joke and counseling can have major benefits, even save lives. The help you need will not be found on message boards or most places on the internet. Worried about going out right now? - this would be considered a perfectly valid reason to do that.
Ptglhs
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 86 3
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Ptglhs »

douglas wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:23 am Maybe there is more to this than I know, but as a health care worker I would say this to Ptglhs - If what you have been posting is truly how you feel I would beg you to seek professional help. This is no joke and counseling can have major benefits, even save lives. The help you need will not be found on message boards or most places on the internet. Worried about going out right now? - this would be considered a perfectly valid reason to do that.
Therapy isn't free, Medicaid coverage is spotty for mental health, and, most importantly, it doesn't improve things. The anti-suicide number which Bean posted cares about keeping people alive long enough for them to die from something else rather than actually improving someone's life. Saving lives which aren't worth living is a fool's errand. Therapy isn't needed in the same way a career and a family are. When people exhort someone to seek help it's a means of saying "go bother someone else," "go be someone else's problem." I would rather find/be found by a kind and helpful traveler on the way to Jericho -preferably one who works in HR or recruitment- than have a bunch of strangers tell me 'sucks to be you. Go hire a professional Samaritan who will pretend to care so you quit bitching here.'
ker0uac
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ker0uac »

Ptglhs wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:06 am
douglas wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:23 am Maybe there is more to this than I know, but as a health care worker I would say this to Ptglhs - If what you have been posting is truly how you feel I would beg you to seek professional help. This is no joke and counseling can have major benefits, even save lives. The help you need will not be found on message boards or most places on the internet. Worried about going out right now? - this would be considered a perfectly valid reason to do that.
Therapy isn't free, Medicaid coverage is spotty for mental health, and, most importantly, it doesn't improve things. The anti-suicide number which Bean posted cares about keeping people alive long enough for them to die from something else rather than actually improving someone's life. Saving lives which aren't worth living is a fool's errand. Therapy isn't needed in the same way a career and a family are. When people exhort someone to seek help it's a means of saying "go bother someone else," "go be someone else's problem." I would rather find/be found by a kind and helpful traveler on the way to Jericho -preferably one who works in HR or recruitment- than have a bunch of strangers tell me 'sucks to be you. Go hire a professional Samaritan who will pretend to care so you quit bitching here.'
It feels to me that you are bitching about losing your job or income. That sucks big time. We are so used to leaving people behind that the country is more focused on masks and stock market and the couple of thousand people in the hospitals, but totally oblivious to the millions who are without income and cant pay rent or the others million retirees whose 401k were obliterated. But you lose my respect when you equate your worth to having a career. There are people in other parts of the world in real permanent struggle, and they are not talking about suicide.
Those who travel to mountain-tops are half in love with themselves and half in love with oblivion
disentangled
Trip Reports (0)

Post by disentangled »

ker0uac wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:08 pm

It feels to me that you are bitching about losing your job or income. That sucks big time. We are so used to leaving people behind that the country is more focused on masks and stock market and the couple of thousand people in the hospitals, but totally oblivious to the millions who are without income and cant pay rent or the others million retirees whose 401k were obliterated. But you lose my respect when you equate your worth to having a career. There are people in other parts of the world in real permanent struggle, and they are not talking about suicide.
everything you say here is valid.... but, yes, our society equates worth with having a career. people can be extremely judgmental when you explain to them that you have an college education and you don't have a career path. just ask any long-term, stay-at-home mom how people respond when they ask what she does for a living.