Wyoming 13ers Quest

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Eli Boardman
14ers: 58  1  15 
13ers: 18 1
Trip Reports (16)

Re: Wyoming 13ers Quest

Post by Eli Boardman »

At long last, I have finally finished my trip report for this quest.

It's...a bit long. Like...17,000 words long. :shock: Eh, it tells the story, and people can feel free to skim it for the 101 pictures instead of reading if they want.

Here ya go! :-D

https://sunlitsummit.com/trip-reports/w ... ing-13ers/
Last edited by Eli Boardman on Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
desertdog
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 273 4
Trip Reports (1)

Post by desertdog »

Can’t wait to read it! I ended up doing Gannett and Fremont based on your advice. What a great area. Already planning my next trip to the Winds. I’m sure your report will help! Richard
The summit is a source of power. The long view gives one knowledge and time to prepare. The summit, by virtue of the dizzying exposure, leaves one vulnerable. A bit of confidence and a dash of humility is all we get for our work. Yet to share these moments with friends is to be human. C. Anker
Matt Lemke
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 116 11
Trip Reports (13)

Post by Matt Lemke »

You could certainly probably do the easier peaks like Flagstone, Downs, Bastion, or Klondike presuming you have a very high tolerance for cold, wind, and snowshoeing. I would definitely want to have some true winter camping experience...trails will all be covered by now as well. Likely well over a foot of snow already up there...possibly over 3 feet in leeward places. The continental divide itself may be windblown pretty dry in spots. Snotel data for today at Big Sandy trailhead (elev 9000 feet) is showing 11 inches snow depth.

Lows are typically in the single digits or lower every night from now until late February unless a random warm spell comes along. Winter winds are worse in WY than they are in CO too :-D

If you do go, let us know how it went!
Lemke Climbs
The Pacific Coast to the Great Plains = My Playground
"Take risks not to escape life, but to prevent life from escaping"
"When you come to face what you fear, let the creator guide you"
rdp32
Trip Reports (0)

Post by rdp32 »

CaptCO wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 3:41 pm Are any of the “easier” class 2-3 routes fun this time of year? Looking for a good backpack trip
Have you considered heading to the canyon country instead? There are lots of spectacular, rugged places in southern utah that are much nicer for backpacking at this time of year
greenonion
14ers: 50  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by greenonion »

Matt Lemke wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 6:02 pm You could certainly probably do the easier peaks like Flagstone, Downs, Bastion, or Klondike presuming you have a very high tolerance for cold, wind, and snowshoeing. I would definitely want to have some true winter camping experience...trails will all be covered by now as well. Likely well over a foot of snow already up there...possibly over 3 feet in leeward places. The continental divide itself may be windblown pretty dry in spots. Snotel data for today at Big Sandy trailhead (elev 9000 feet) is showing 11 inches snow depth.

Lows are typically in the single digits or lower every night from now until late February unless a random warm spell comes along. Winter winds are worse in WY than they are in CO too :-D

If you do go, let us know how it went!
Wyoming should be renamed to Windoming.
Eli Boardman
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Eli Boardman »

CaptCO wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 3:41 pm Are any of the “easier” class 2-3 routes fun this time of year? Looking for a good backpack trip
I'm living just below the Glacier Trail area, and the mountains are definitely snowy right now. I would recommend doing your first Wyoming 13ers in the July-September period. That said, Downs Mountain is probably the easiest one in winter conditions, and I'm planning on making a winter attempt this year (might have to divert from the standard route to avoid avalanche danger).

The deep backcountry (Dinwoody, Titcomb) will almost certainly be in winter conditions by now. We've had temperatures at -8 F in Dubois already.
Eli Boardman
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Eli Boardman »

Just noticed that my WY 13ers Quest apparently made it onto Teton Gravity Research, and yes I know that self-promotion = bad and the article is rather poorly written, but I figured the link should be in this thread "for the sake of completeness."

https://www.tetongravity.com/story/cult ... s-the-pace
pbergmaier
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 13 1
Trip Reports (4)

Post by pbergmaier »

Belated congrats to you from another (transplanted) Wyomingite! By far the best part of all this is you lugging the AK up Francs. Fantastic.
"I want to see mountains again, Gandalf, mountains" - Bilbo Baggins
https://www.instagram.com/icebergmaier/