High Red Blood Cell Count, Hemoglobin and Hematocrit

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
RadioJay
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (0)

High Red Blood Cell Count, Hemoglobin and Hematocrit

Post by RadioJay »

Has anyone else experienced this? Just got my labs back after my physical and my Red Blood Cell count (6.45), Hemoglobin (18.5) and Hematocrit (54.8%) were all high. My first thought was, of course they are high - I do a lot of high altitude training and return to lower elevations at night. Then the doctor listed all the bad things that could cause it, some which did not make sense for me (e.g., congestive heart failure). Others might make sense like kidney tumors creating excessive natural EPO. I did a little reading on it and it seems that readings this high are not unheard of for people who train at altitude and also those who live permanently at altitude. Cyclists who sleep in altitude simulation tents fall into a different category, btw. Searched the forum but did not see a topic with similar subject. Supposedly, high hematocrit means thicker blood which is bad, but if it occurs naturally through high altitude training or living at altitude, the body may adapt in some unknown way so no harm occurs. I'm inclined to blow it off and not do any of the doctor's recommended tests and scans, but could use some backup to put his mind at ease. Any thoughts or similar experiences would be welcome.
BendExile
14ers: 47 
13ers: 41
Trip Reports (0)

Re: High Red Blood Cell Count, Hemoglobin and Hematocrit

Post by BendExile »

Would repeat test. If still elevated consider screening for P Vera. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4639938/
Matt
14ers: 58 
13ers: 208
Trip Reports (32)

Post by Matt »

Were any other labs abnormally high (besides from the CBC)?
We are all greater artists than we realize -FWN
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -HDT
Peak List
RadioJay
Trip Reports (0)

Post by RadioJay »

Just creatinine 1.4.
RadioJay
Trip Reports (0)

Post by RadioJay »

BendExile wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:58 pm Would repeat test. If still elevated consider screening for P Vera. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4639938/
Doc mentioned that, come to think of it. White blood cells and platelets normal which helps but does not rule it out completely. Re-testing in 30 days. Thanks.
JamesK
14ers: 58  14 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by JamesK »

I'm getting most of these test in a few weeks, i'll be interested to see the results now....Thanks for your info, I portably wouldn't have paid any attention without your post
Bale
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Bale »

If I were you I’d sign up for Le Tour next year ;)
The earth, like the sun, like the air, belongs to everyone - and to no one. - Edward Abbey
RadioJay
Trip Reports (0)

Post by RadioJay »

Bale wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 5:37 pm If I were you I’d sign up for Le Tour next year ;)
I wish.
OrngChocD
Trip Reports (0)

Post by OrngChocD »

RadioJay wrote: Has anyone else experienced this? Just got my labs back after my physical and my Red Blood Cell count (6.45), Hemoglobin (18.5) and Hematocrit (54.8%) were all high.
Yes, my RBC count was slightly above normal when I last did blood work 2 yrs ago. My concern was different from yours and I had posted about it here last year. This may be of no help to you but FWIW, other tests that you've mentioned came out as follows for me -

Creatinine ----- 0.79 (0.60-1.3 MG/DL)
Hematocrit ---- 44.1 (34-45%)
Hemoglobin --- 15.1 (11.5-15.5 G/DL)
RBC ---------- 5.17 (3.8-5.1 M/UL)

Everything else in my blood profile was very good (middle of the normal range). I haven't been to any doctor since, nor experienced any health problems. I have not learnt anything more after that thread about the whys or anything different about my health/fitness/ability, so I'm just letting it be for now, whatever it is.
RadioJay
Trip Reports (0)

Post by RadioJay »

OrngChocD wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:26 pm
RadioJay wrote: Has anyone else experienced this? Just got my labs back after my physical and my Red Blood Cell count (6.45), Hemoglobin (18.5) and Hematocrit (54.8%) were all high.
Yes, my RBC count was slightly above normal when I last did blood work 2 yrs ago. My concern was different from yours and I had posted about it here last year.
Thanks, there was some good information for me in that thread. Sleep apnea was mentioned in your thread and also by my doc but fortunately not a problem for me. Hopefully, others will get something out of this current thread. I’ve learned a lot already.
KYMark
Trip Reports (0)

Post by KYMark »

Mine runs about 19. I give blood every 8 weeks and that keeps it in check. All other blood results are normal.
It's about now.
nunns
14ers: 43 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nunns »

KYMark wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 12:17 am Mine runs about 19. I give blood every 8 weeks and that keeps it in check. All other blood results are normal.
+1, although mine isn't 19. I read somewhere that high levels of iron in the body are correlated with a higher risk of heart attack, independent of other factors, but I can't cite a source on that.

Why not just give blood a few times a year? That is what I do. Saves lives, and may reduce my risk of heart attack. I would recommend scheduling that around major hiking trips. My personal experience is that it takes 1-2 weeks to regain full endurance performance after giving blood. (Scientific literature says up to 6 weeks but my guess is those studies were done on sedentary people who are not putting a stimulus on their kidneys & liver to release more EPO).

You are right to check out other possibilities like kidney tumors, etc. Never hurts to be safe.

Also not to derail the post, but I think the same thing may be true of enlarged hearts and low resting pulse: if they are caused by physical training, I doubt they would be problematic, but you would want to rule out other conditions that might be causing them. Personally every doctor I ever go to freaks out when they take my pulse and find it to be in the 40's.

Sean Nunn
"Thy righteousness is like the great mountains." --Psalms 36:6