What’s your favorite piece of gear

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Re: What’s your favorite piece of gear

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

Powder skis, of course
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
OwenRichardson
13ers: 45 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by OwenRichardson »

jars of nutella
globreal
14ers: 58  1  26 
13ers: 198 2 6
Trip Reports (61)

Post by globreal »

Patagonia R1
hoodie!
Flyingfish
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 533 2 16
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Flyingfish »

OwenRichardson wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:31 pm jars of nutella
THIS
:thumbup: :thumbup:
griddles
14ers: 11 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by griddles »

Mountain Hardware softshell jacket. Probably had it for 13 years. Used it for everything from walking around town to Rainier.
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

EMS hiking pants
douglas
14ers: 53 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (2)

Post by douglas »

Prana hiking pants with the built in belt that’s a little offset to the side. My backpack waist strap clip doesn’t ham into the buckle. Super comfortable pants.
Jenna N S
14ers: 36  2 
13ers: 24 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Jenna N S »

Not for during the hike, but a fresh cotton t, clean socks, and a wet washcloth to wipe my face and hands with after the hike is amazing! Especially if I'm hiking alone and have a couple hour drive ahead of me after a hike. Freshening up goes a long way to helping me feel way more alert for the drive.
"They say that time is a great teacher but unfortunately it kills all its pupils. The mountains are also great teachers, and better still, they let the occasional star pupil live." Mark Lawrence King of Thorns
douglas
14ers: 53 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (2)

Post by douglas »

Jenna N S wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:32 am Not for during the hike, but a fresh cotton t, clean socks, and a wet washcloth to wipe my face and hands with after the hike is amazing! Especially if I'm hiking alone and have a couple hour drive ahead of me after a hike. Freshening up goes a long way to helping me feel way more alert for the drive.
+1
Klad24
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Klad24 »

douglas wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:28 am Prana hiking pants with the built in belt that’s a little offset to the side. My backpack waist strap clip doesn’t ham into the buckle. Super comfortable pants.
Stretch Zion? Comfiest pants I've ever owned.
Cruiser
14ers: 50 
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Cruiser »

If it's not winter then I almost never play in the mountains without my fire engine red dynafit traverse shorts. I love everything about them from the dynastretch fabric to the cut, pocket placement, and the adjustable waist. Can't imagine a better pair of outdoor shorts...
Where ever you are... There you are.
Snow_Dog_frassati
14ers: 58  8  5 
13ers: 84 4 9
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Snow_Dog_frassati »

Approach shoes really changed a lot for me, La Sportiva Tx4s fit me well.

Feet-to-farm Merino wool socks+liners are awesome

I really like my helmet, its the BD Vector, but mainly because of all the places its been with me. It kinda has a sentimental value at this point.

Garmin in-reach mini. Never leaving home without it. Even in non-emergency situations it can be very helpful. I think everyone who seriously wants to pursue 14ers/13ers should have one if they can afford it.

For backpacking gear moving in the direction of ultralight this season was awesome. Nemo Hornet 2 tent, Nemo tensor wide, and the Osprey Levity 45 were all new for me this year and all rocked.

I have a white non-cotton Simms fishing shirt that I have been wearing forever. Khul makes great pants but they are expensive

My nalgene is loyal and undying. May it last forever.
"A good decision yesterday doesn't absolve me from a bad decision today"