What's with the dirt

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
habaceeba
14ers: 27 
13ers: 93 1 1
Trip Reports (3)

What's with the dirt

Post by habaceeba »

Question for the geologists out there - I've walked all over the Colorado mountains and almost everywhere above treeline in grassy/soily areas I come across small piles of soft, loamy dirt like fire ant hills (if you've ever seen them in the South), but there are no ants. What causes this? The internet is no help.
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Re: What's with the dirt

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

Think Caddy Shack
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

Those gophers are active making tunnels before the sun comes up.
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
Ptglhs
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 86 3
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Ptglhs »

There's also an effect that comes from freeze-thaw with undergroundwater that can push up bits of soil. It doesn't look like a mound but it does look like small speed bumps criss-crossing a mountain slope.
Christian Nunes
14ers: 49 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Christian Nunes »

As Bill implies, you're seeing the mounds of Northern Pocket Gophers (Thomomys talpoides). There are several other species that can be found at lower elevations, but Northern is the only species that occurs in the alpine tundra of CO. https://www.inaturalist.org/taxa/44066- ... -talpoides
Bill G
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Bill G »

Carl Spackler: Correct me if I'm wrong Sandy, but if I kill all the golfers they'll lock me up and throw away the key. Sandy: Not golfers, you great fool. Gophers. :lol:
cougar
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 135 2
Trip Reports (10)

Post by cougar »

In Alaska, these are created by burrowing whales. I postholed in some of these bigger soft patches and mounds this past weekend.
http://www.listsofjohn.com/m/cougar

"If we don't change direction, we'll end up where we're going."
"Bushwhacking is like a box of chocolates - you never know what you're gonna get."
"Don't give up on your dreams, stay asleep"
greenonion
14ers: 50  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by greenonion »

Bill G wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:51 am Carl Spackler: Correct me if I'm wrong Sandy, but if I kill all the golfers they'll lock me up and throw away the key. Sandy: Not golfers, you great fool. Gophers. :lol:
What am I missing here?
Conor
14ers: 41  6  6 
13ers: 51 1 1
Trip Reports (7)

Post by Conor »

greenonion wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:00 am
Bill G wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:51 am Carl Spackler: Correct me if I'm wrong Sandy, but if I kill all the golfers they'll lock me up and throw away the key. Sandy: Not golfers, you great fool. Gophers. :lol:
What am I missing here?
Total consciousness on your deathbed.
jibler
14ers: 13 
13ers: 35
Trip Reports (18)

Post by jibler »

I'm not sure if this is all gopher related.

i have developed my own theory on some of these - especially where you see bands of loose dirt.

that's the retreating edge of the previous winter's snowpack!
Keep looking up - Jack Horkheimer
mtree
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtree »

Think "Tremors".
- I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was blaming you.
Conor
14ers: 41  6  6 
13ers: 51 1 1
Trip Reports (7)

Post by Conor »

mtree wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:19 am Think "Tremors".
mmm....bacon