Climbing and Genes (not jeans...)

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
DArcyS
14ers: 58 
13ers: 544
Trip Reports (3)

Climbing and Genes (not jeans...)

Post by DArcyS »

Couple weeks ago I spit into a tube and sent it away to 23andMe for a DNA test. I was just reviewing the results. A couple caught my attention.

You have 1 variant associated with being less likely to have a fear of heights.

Yeah, I guess that's not a surprising result for me. A lot of people can even figure that out without a genetic test.

You have 1 variant associated with having a worse sense of direction.

Good thing I learned how to use map and compass and bought a GPS. I would venture to guess this variant is on the X chromosome, right ladies?

You have 1 variant associated with having difficulty discarding rarely-used possessions.

I loosely take that as "code" for obsessive compulsive behavior. I've talked a few times on this forum about OCD and climbing lists. Bet a few of you have this variant too.
ellenmseb
14ers: 58  3  1 
13ers: 41 3
Trip Reports (6)

Re: Climbing and Genes (not jeans...)

Post by ellenmseb »

Interesting question! I did the test ~8 years ago.

**Less likely than average to be afraid of heights**
True

**More likely to get more mosquito bites than others.**
This is false. Mosquitoes hate me. Which unlocks July as the perfect hiking month. Except for on Mt. Holy Cross and in Alaska.

**your genetic muscle composition is common in elite power athletes.**
This is related to endurance. True, endurance is my strong point. Cardio is my weakness. I can hike slowly all day!

**Age-Related Macular DegenerationĀ Variant detected**
This is why I hike in very dark sunglasses with no gaps to let light in.

Sense of direction was not reported for me. Instead, 23andme asked *me* whether I had a good sense of direction. Guess I'm in the training group.
mindfolded
14ers: 43  3 
13ers: 20 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mindfolded »

I've always wondered if my Armenian heritage has anything to do with how much I just love being at high altitudes. Armenia's average altitude is almost 6000'.
CharGalli
14ers: 42 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by CharGalli »

Interesting results I didn't realized that would go that deep ... Now I Am curious... Maybe I should send some for analysis too...
I think funny tho I am Brazilian and love the Mountains while I get bored at the beach ... Still don't like the cold but I suck it up... I am also not afraid of heights e have a tendency of not planning things... Yikes I Know better but I don't šŸ¤£
Only from the heart can you touch the sky.
Set your life on fire. Seek those who fan your flames. - Rumi